Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit

I'm glad to see the debate club was interrupted by awesome photos.
...and here's some video of the Harsco Mk IV tamping machine in action this afternoon, at Seagram/Waterloo Park.

Rebar pads are laid along the majority of Caroline, track should start going in over the next few days.

The SB lane of King St now has curbs on both the inner and outer edges, from KCI to Wellington. It's ready for paving! Not sure if that's the next step, or if they'll wait until the NB lanes are done.

Water St was reopened today to through traffic. Francis closes tomorrow.

The forms are now off the Victoria Park station, and it looks great! There's some rebar sticking up the back of the one side, presumably for the tiled art wall.

Many concrete cylinders for the wetworks (Sanitary? Storm? I've never actually been sure what these were for. The manhole ones.) were delivered to the portion of Charles in front of the parking garage today. This section of road will probably be next.

Benton / Charles had most of the concrete embedding finished as of today. The intersection is scheduled to reopen next Monday.

The grade of Charles form Benton - Cedar has been significantly lowered. It's definitely permanent. There's gonna be a sharp incline to get into some of those driveways!

The retaining wall at Stirling is about 50% done. It looks like they're holding off on the rest of the work in the area due to it being fairly flooded at the moment.

Charles between Stirling / Borden was still being worked on as of 730pm. Seems like they were rushing to get it done by tomorrow. Stakes were in the ground marking the placement of inner/outer curbs.

(11-03-2015, 08:36 PM)Canard Wrote: ...and here's some video of the Harsco Mk IV tamping machine in action this afternoon, at Seagram/Waterloo Park.

So that's how that works
Nice pictures and videos, I like industrial machinery and trains. I rode by them on Sunday and was wishing I could watch 'em working.

One other thing to note - I couldn't get a photo because I was driving, but at University of Waterloo, between the Ring Road and the tracks, they're installing low (~1 m) tall fence. I think it's to discourage people from walking along that narrow bit of curb on the "outside" lane of the road. From an aesthetic standpoint they picked a nice design, it looks simple but good. If we must have fence in Waterloo Park, I really hope it's something small and attractive like these.
That's for a not-ION-related project by the University to consolidate pedestrian crossings of Ring Road to preferred points. That narrow bit of curb was poured to be the foundation of this fence. (They tore out an asphalt sidewalk to put it in)
I walked King btwn underpass and Union last night. Some observations:
-even at 9 at night, S of Breithaupt was busy on King. Breithaupt Block or underpass work, not sure but not a lot of machinery working, so I assume BB.
-McD's partially boarded up and some excavations on site
-As GtwoK mentioned, curbing in from KCI to Wellington (s bound side).
-the old 7/11 has a new sign for Canadian Commercial Developments, and the makings of a new facade going in??
-the former car dealer on the southeast side of Wellington at King is gone and now a convenience store/shawarma place.
-midtown lofts site fully demo'd (looks big!)
-there is a large pad being prepped for concrete at the south end of KCI at King...is that a transformer location? Might also be part of the hold up on the retaining wall at KCI.
-lots of rail south of Union (200 m between Union and Mt Hope St)...about 20 pieces.
(11-03-2015, 09:46 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Rebar pads are laid along the majority of Caroline, track should start going in over the next few days.

Today they were laying down forms for what seems to be the station. Much bigger and taller than those of all other pours depicted here.
(11-04-2015, 10:00 PM)Smore Wrote: -there is a large pad being prepped for concrete at the south end of KCI at King...is that a transformer location?  Might also be part of the hold up on the retaining wall at KCI.

There's no substation planned for that spot (there's one set for Mt. Hope Street). As it's on school property, my guess it's something the school board is having done during the work to take advantage of the excavation... not sure.

Also, I just noticed this pic from above by Canard:
[Image: attachment.php?aid=523]

If anyone's not familiar with the process, these guys are welding rails in place by means of a thermite reaction.
If anyone is in the area, tomorrow at 10am they're going to do all the concrete for the embedded track on Borden between Courtland and Nyberg.

The re-dig at Charles and Ontario (for water/storm sewers) looks to be complete, the surface was being packed down in the late afternoon.

Attached Files Image(s)

So with Ontario reopened, and Gaukel (supposedly?) reopened, are the fences under Manulife down now? Theoretically there should be a drivable path from Queen - Water... is there? Big Grin
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »