Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cambridge Multi-Sports Complex [Proposed]
has anyone seen the master plan for this? renders? I looked briefly for them but couldn't find them.

Doesn't sound like they're that far along yet; the city is only getting opinions on what it will contain. Interestingly, Conestoga might be chipping some money in to locate classrooms in the building.
I still wish this was being built on an LRT route in one of Cambridge's core areas.
(10-01-2015, 02:04 PM)rangersfan Wrote: I still wish this was being built on an LRT route in one of Cambridge's core areas.

the use of "an" makes me optimistic....is (was) there any potential alignments that went through Conestoga College? South from Block Line, we have the Budd Plant redevelopment which was elsewhere recently noted to be picking up, the City owns/controls the future of Budd Park and I think they mentioned future industry. Lear just closed and lots of residential just west/south. Homer Watson has a healthy road allowance (so easier routing and regional already) and then you are at the college. Lots of development lands just west subsequent to the OMB hearing. There are 2 river crossings both ways.

What do you miss? Sportsworld...which appears to be dying and when there is a west bound bypass? (notwithstanding the maple grove industrial area).

But, how do you cross from Blair Road into urban Cambridge?

probably the wrong thread....but this isn't really present ION stage 2
http://cambridge.citizenbudget.com/

A survey (results accepted up to Oct 23) on what amenities the multiplex will have, along with forecasted impact to one's property tax bill.   The base $53.9 million facility has add-on options, which of course add to one's property taxes.   Impact of base project on a $300K home is +$31.28/yr in operating costs (forecast).    I think it's a neat tool to illustrate impacts and survey community wants.

The City of Cambridge, in partnership with Conestoga College, is in the process of developing a multi-purpose sport and recreational complex to serve the community for many years to come. The multiplex will be located on Conestoga property in the City of Cambridge in close proximity to the 401.

The vision for the project, as developed through a needs analysis, feasibility study, community survey and community input, is to create a facility that will incorporate the following:
•Ice pads
•Divisible gymnasium
•Fitness Track
•Program Spaces
•Fitness Facilities
•Aquatics Facilities

In keeping with our commitment to engage the community as this project is developed, we are requesting citizens to share their opinions regarding what building elements they would like to see included in the facility.
(10-02-2015, 08:27 PM)Smore Wrote:
(10-01-2015, 02:04 PM)rangersfan Wrote: I still wish this was being built on an LRT route in one of Cambridge's core areas.

the use of "an" makes me optimistic....is (was) there any potential alignments that went through Conestoga College?  South from Block Line, we have the Budd Plant redevelopment which was elsewhere recently noted to be picking up, the City owns/controls the future of Budd Park and I think they mentioned future industry.  Lear just closed and lots of residential just west/south.  Homer Watson has a healthy road allowance (so easier routing and regional already) and then you are at the college.  Lots of development lands just west subsequent to the OMB hearing.  There are 2 river crossings both ways.

What do you miss?  Sportsworld...which appears to be dying and when there is a west bound bypass? (notwithstanding the maple grove industrial area).

But, how do you cross from Blair Road into urban Cambridge?

probably the wrong thread....but this isn't really present ION stage 2

To my knowledge there was never a potential alignment that went anywhere close to that area. To far away from the majority of the population and no where near the Central Transit Corridor (or 'CTC') that the region is trying to focus on. Maybe in 20-30+ years when the areas you mention become more urbanized.
In the short term I think all we can expect is a permanent extension of the 203 to Conestoga rather than the seasonal one for students.

Quote:Location issue looms over multiplex meetings

Early in the fifth meeting in five months for a task force trying to gather input on what Cambridge residents want in a sports multiplex to be built on Conestoga College land at Highway 401, there was no escape from the lingering debate about the edge-of-town site.

Will it really be just a 15-minute drive for most Cambridge residents?

"That time included no allowance for traffic," Hespeler resident and longtime environmental planning consultant Derek Coleman suggested at city hall on Tuesday. "That time was the time it took to get there at three o'clock in the morning."

So location was again before a committee with its pulse-taking gaze mainly aimed on design possibilities for this two or four-rink proposed complex that could run somewhere between $54-million and $74-million.

The problem with going anywhere else is that there aren't that many suitable sites closer to town. The old Rauscher Plating site in Hespeler, maybe the flea market on Hespeler Road, maybe something on Franklin, but that's about it. Anything else is going to cost a fortune in property acquisition.
Some of my coworkers who live in Cambridge were going on a rant about this last week and I had no idea what they were on about. They're completely convinced there was a under-the-table deal between Conestoga College and the City of Cambridge, that all the decisions were made years ago, that they're only doing all this public consultation stuff to make it look like they're actually listening, etc... I couldn't listen to them anymore and had to put my headphones back in.
(10-30-2015, 09:16 PM)Canard Wrote: Some of my coworkers who live in Cambridge were going on a rant about this last week and I had no idea what they were on about.  They're completely convinced there was a under-the-table deal between Conestoga College and the City of Cambridge, that all the decisions were made years ago, that they're only doing all this public consultation stuff to make it look like they're actually listening, etc... I couldn't listen to them anymore and had to put my headphones back in.

This seems to be a common Cambridge theme.  Mayor Craig has the people of the city full bore on the "oh woe is me" and "Kitchener/Waterloo/Region are bullies" attitude.
That's been going on long before Dougie got the chain of office and it'll be going on long after he's gone. The only way the region can fight it is to be a lot more vocal about the benefits Cambridge receives.
Updated discussion on this project :
http://m.therecord.com/news-story/613379...x-goes-big
LOL

"We also understand there will be new infrastructure monies coming down from the federal government."

So the mayor would rather see money for roads and sewers be spent on ice rinks and pools? This whole project seems to creeping bigger and bigger... and it seems unwise to use a wish-list public survey as a guideline for designing this complex. It also seems kind of foolhardy to build more ice/hockey facilities when the numbers of kids playing minor hockey is declining, even with a huge increase in young women playing the game.

(11-25-2015, 10:53 AM)clasher Wrote: It also seems kind of foolhardy to build more ice/hockey facilities when the numbers of kids playing minor hockey is declining, even with a huge increase in young women playing the game.

And remember, hockey isn't the only ice sport.  As a member of the board of Kitchener Ringette, we've been slowly growing over the years, with both girls and boys!

As well, the most sought after tournaments are the ones with multiplexes, something cities here don't yet have... it's great to have all your games at one location!  All those spin-off restaurant and hotel dollars are good for the local economy.  We have tried to bring provincial events here, but are limited on our available ice... I think this is a great thing!

Coke
Tax pressures. I am still not too crazy about the location of this project because it's not at all walkable. I also want to see something substantial built with defining architecture.

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/mobile/sport...-1.2675948
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »