Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
As of today, there were NB curbs on King from Louisa to Green. Also some trenching in front of GRH, either for catpoles or traffic signals.

Also some trenching going on in the the ION ROW between Borden and Stirling. The large pit at Borden is almost filled in now.

The Schnieder's Creek bridge on Borden has been closed for a strangely long time, especially since they had already done a large amount of underground work there previously. What is there to do? It's not like they could've dug down far.

(11-24-2015, 07:50 PM)Square Wrote: It seems that all the drawings are from 2013.  When I ask ION for updated renders all I get is "Coming Soon".

Heh, they’re waiting for 2017 so they can just take photos!

I have to say I’m not particularly impressed with their communication. It has had some good aspects, but it doesn’t really stand out as being better than one would have expected. Compare with the Ottawa LRT site which is almost like a mini-newspaper just for LRT-related items.
(11-24-2015, 08:54 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(11-24-2015, 07:50 PM)Square Wrote: It seems that all the drawings are from 2013.  When I ask ION for updated renders all I get is "Coming Soon".

Heh, they’re waiting for 2017 so they can just take photos!

I have to say I’m not particularly impressed with their communication. It has had some good aspects, but it doesn’t really stand out as being better than one would have expected. Compare with the Ottawa LRT site which is almost like a mini-newspaper just for LRT-related items.

I asked them to consider "what's new" format for their email newsletters, instead of just putting new activities in with the numerous existing activities, thus providing no distinction.

Didn't even get a "we'll consider it" courtesy reply.

I don't even read the newsletter anymore.
Yeah - look what Goldlinq did for the Gold Coast Light Rail project. They have tons of fun update videos along the way - including (crucially), safety videos released well in advance of the first train movements to warn people about the changes they could come to expect with the new system coming online.

I've been asking Bombardier and the ion RT team for updated/final drawings of the train paint scheme, interior, door chime, etc. - nothing. Sad I feel your pain. I'm going to be mortified (and I'm deathly serious on this, however ridiculous it may sound - feel free to make fun of me) if I find out they just accepted some default buzzer for the doors closing because nobody could be bothered to think to ask for something more pleasant.

(11-24-2015, 08:05 PM)GtwoK Wrote: The Schnieder's Creek bridge on Borden has been closed for a strangely long time, especially since they had already done a large amount of underground work there previously. What is there to do? It's not like they could've dug down far.

Any time I look at it all I can figure is they're digging down to the top of the culvert box, so they can lay some more concrete over top to build up the strength of it. Just a guess.
I could really go for some door sounds that liken to Nintendo game effects. Mario going down the tube. The ocarina lead-ins from Ocarina of Time.
Father David Bauer / Caroline, as well as Kumpf / Northfield have reopened as of today.
(11-24-2015, 10:53 PM)Canard Wrote: I've been asking Bombardier and the ion RT team for updated/final drawings of the train paint scheme, interior, door chime, etc. - nothing.  Sad  I feel your pain.  I'm going to be mortified (and I'm deathly serious on this, however ridiculous it may sound - feel free to make fun of me) if I find out they just accepted some default buzzer for the doors closing because nobody could be bothered to think to ask for something more pleasant.

What the heck? That chime not only sounds bad aesthetically, but low frequency sounds will be more easily drowned out in a crowd.

The old tracks from E5 to University are being ripped out today.
Honestly, I like the TTC chime.
(11-25-2015, 03:15 PM)jamincan Wrote: Honestly, I like the TTC chime.

Sun-ny days.
(11-25-2015, 03:15 PM)jamincan Wrote: Honestly, I like the TTC chime.

Me too. It, or something very similar, is also used by other transit systems worldwide. That makes it familiar to visitors, a safety feature that unique, distinctive chimes lack.

I don't know if that should make it an official or de facto default but it seems like a sensible choice. In any case there are more pressing issues with our LRT than the choice of chimes. I'd hate to see delivery of our cars get held up because of some relatively trivial detail like this.
Is there any doubt but that the ion door chime should be the first seven notes of the "Chicken Dance" song? Smile
(11-25-2015, 04:41 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Is there any doubt but that the ion door chime should be the first seven notes of the "Chicken Dance" song?  Smile

I vote for

Drove over the track at FDB tonight. That bump is absurd. You have to crawl over the thing or you're going to hurt your neck. The crossings at Alexandra and William look more level with the road, at least.

Charles was also paved between Borden and Stirling today.
The TTC chime is actually the UTDC chime; it was first introduced on the Scarborough RT (ICTS) in 1985, and has since been rolled out on many other ex-UTDC/Bombardier products, like GO's Bi-Level coaches.

But agreed that it's likely what we'll get, especially since our order is piggybacked on Metrolinx' order for the Eglinton Crosstown which is surely going to have the 3-tone chime. I was just hoping for something a bit more unique to us.

You can drive across Borden at Courtland now; I put a photo up on Twitter.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »