Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
(11-30-2015, 04:18 PM)Lens Wrote: 618 King Street West, the building adjacent to the now closed McDonald's was recently sold. It was listed as a redevelopment opportunity in the sales literature but it's a perfectly fine building as is so who knows if it will be.

The red rowhouses/apartments directly across from Arrow were painted grey... They look a lot worse IMO. I don't understand why property owners think slapping stucco or paint on a building will suddenly make it more attractive when it almost always makes it worse.

I don't know if I would say that they look worse, but there was nothing wrong with the original brick.  It was interesting that the start of the paint job coincided (to the day, I think) with the landlord's release from prision (!).  I wondered whether it was celebratory work, or preparation for a sale of the property.

There was a fire this afternoon in the old PUC building at King W and Gaukel Sts. Something in the basement, I think.
(11-30-2015, 05:20 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I don't know if I would say that they look worse, but there was nothing wrong with the original brick.  It was interesting that the start of the paint job coincided (to the day, I think) with the landlord's release from prision (!).  I wondered whether it was celebratory work, or preparation for a sale of the property.

Is that the reason the police cars were lined up in front today?  An honour guard?
(11-27-2015, 11:53 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I noticed that the former 7-11 at King St W and Wellington is being refurbished. The exterior is sort of beige with a broad yellow band, a colourway that I don't recognize. Does anyone know what is moving in there?

Bump. I'm curious about this too if anyone has seen a sign or knows something.
Trinity United Church on Frederick at Duke St will be put up for sale in the new year.
A major renovation under way at 54 Queen Street South (former Encore Records, next to ABC Surplus) for a few days now: interior is stripped out, and the display windows have been removed. I don't see a building permit in the city's database, though -- anyone know what the plan is here?
It looks like 7/11 @ King & Wellington is gonna be the new MoneyMart

(12-02-2015, 11:54 AM)tomh009 Wrote: A major renovation under way at 54 Queen Street South (former Encore Records, next to ABC Surplus) for a few days now: interior is stripped out, and the display windows have been removed.  I don't see a building permit in the city's database, though -- anyone know what the plan is here?

That's a Bernie Nimer building - it was next on his list to renovate until the Mayfair demolition sidetracked things.  I don't know if the renos are being done on spec or if there are particular lessees lined up.

I couldn't find a building permit either - but in looking I see that one has been issued to build a nightclub in the basement of 33 Queen S (Cafe Darlisle).
(12-02-2015, 12:33 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(12-02-2015, 11:54 AM)tomh009 Wrote: A major renovation under way at 54 Queen Street South (former Encore Records, next to ABC Surplus) for a few days now: interior is stripped out, and the display windows have been removed.  I don't see a building permit in the city's database, though -- anyone know what the plan is here?

That's a Bernie Nimer building - it was next on his list to renovate until the Mayfair demolition sidetracked things.  I don't know if the renos are being done on spec or if there are particular lessees lined up.

Given how extensive the renos look, I suspect there is a tenant lined up -- it's too much to do without knowing what kind of a tenant you will end up with.

Is there a free way to find out the owner of a building online, or or does that require a (paid) land registry office search?
(12-02-2015, 12:00 PM)white_brian Wrote: It looks like 7/11 @ King & Wellington is gonna be the new MoneyMart

Arghhhh!!!!
(12-02-2015, 12:00 PM)white_brian Wrote: It looks like 7/11 @ King & Wellington is gonna be the new MoneyMart

Brutal. The best we can hope is that this is a temporary lease as the owner of the property waits out LRT construction...but I'm not optimistic.

I couldn't find a building permit either - but in looking I see that one has been issued to build a nightclub in the basement of 33 Queen S (Cafe Darlisle).

I believe that basement nightclub is to host burlesque shows, among the rest of its uses.
(12-02-2015, 02:33 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote:
(12-02-2015, 12:33 PM)panamaniac Wrote: That's a Bernie Nimer building - it was next on his list to renovate until the Mayfair demolition sidetracked things.  I don't know if the renos are being done on spec or if there are particular lessees lined up.

I believe that basement nightclub is to host burlesque shows, among the rest of its uses.

Cool!

Bernie usually does renos on spec at the request of the tenant.
(12-02-2015, 02:26 PM)KingandWeber Wrote: Brutal. The best we can hope is that this is a temporary lease as the owner of the property waits out LRT construction...but I'm not optimistic.

This is possible, but I won't be putting any money on it, either. It's really sad to see- this is not at all how I see this neighbourhood.

Oh well. Win some, lose some.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »