Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.18 Average
Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 50 fl | U/C
(01-08-2016, 10:10 AM)MidTowner Wrote: I didn't actually use the term "nightmare," that was someone else. I agree that it's probably unavoidable. Post 321 makes some good points: we are necessarily going to be stuck with a less-than-desirable experience for people on foot going under the underpass. That makes it even more important to ensure a positive experience at the King's Crossing site, and other nearby sites. Otherwise, we wind up with a really lengthy stretch of our main street which is hostile to people on foot.

I am in agreement with this.

What I was complaining was the hyperbole characterization of an underpass as a "pedestrian nightmare" (and, no, not by you).

Sorry, I got a little confused because you were quoting me and then disagreeing with the term "nightmare." For what it's worth, I think that, while we can agree on elements that tend to make a street more or less friendly to walk along, it's still pretty subjective. I agree with you when you say that the Weber underpass was done in a way that makes it fairly comfortable for people walking it, but given the opportunity I would choose another route. I can definitely understand why someone would call underpasses uncomfortable/unpleasant/nightmarish.
Lighting could go quite a ways toward improving the underpass, as illumination primarily, but it's also been used in other contexts (DTW for example) to make the space more interesting. Clear plexiglass separating it from the roadway (though that may draw graffiti) would also lower noise and air pollution.
(01-08-2016, 04:22 PM)jamincan Wrote: Lighting could go quite a ways toward improving the underpass, as illumination primarily, but it's also been used in other contexts (DTW for example) to make the space more interesting. Clear plexiglass separating it from the roadway (though that may draw graffiti) would also lower noise and air pollution.

I think the best way to combat the graffiti threat is to commission urban art (see examples on Halls Lane, for example).  Few graffiti artists/authors would damage such an artwork.  And indeed the ones on Halls Lane are free of post-art graffiti.
Where can I see the other renders/proposals?
(01-09-2016, 04:21 PM)jordan2423 Wrote: Where can I see the other renders/proposals?

None have been officially released. This one render seems to have leaked.
(01-09-2016, 04:41 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(01-09-2016, 04:21 PM)jordan2423 Wrote: Where can I see the other renders/proposals?

None have been officially released. This one render seems to have leaked.

Who leaked it?

(01-09-2016, 05:51 PM)jordan2423 Wrote:
(01-09-2016, 04:41 PM)KevinL Wrote: None have been officially released. This one render seems to have leaked.

Who leaked it?

According to the thread from Wednesday, it was found on SSP (a site called SkyScraper Page). I don't know more than that.
(01-09-2016, 05:54 PM)KevinL Wrote: According to the thread from Wednesday, it was found on SSP (a site called SkyScraper Page). I don't know more than that.

I couldn't find the thread on SSP where the render was found. Does anyone know who posted it there (and where), and whether there were any others?
(01-19-2016, 12:43 PM)MidTowner Wrote: I couldn't find the thread on SSP where the render was found. Does anyone know who posted it there (and where), and whether there were any others?

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthre...ost7290275

No information to be found there. In fact, they're referencing WRC as the source for the "one of 5 proposals" information.
Thanks a lot, I had been looking in the 'Ontario' threads. What a mystery: here we're saying it's from SSP; there, they're saying it's from WRC.
Looks like we have to ask GtwoK, who originally posted it.
I just grabbed the image off SSP! I know nothing more.

Timestamps say it was posted on SSP first.

Looks like the WRC comment just said we were discussing it over here.
It was posted in the proposed developments thread of SSP Canada.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »