Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
(Eaton) Lofts at 276
I got an email from Perimeter Development this morning announcing they'd acquired the Eaton's building (Eaton Lofts). Very happy to hear that we'll finally have some progress on this site. It said to "stay tuned for [their] vision to inject new life into the 20,000 sq ft of retail space", with an invitation to contact them if you have "any interesting retail ideas".

I'm not sure how exactly that works with the condo ownership for the residential units, maybe they just obtained condo-like ownership of the retail parts? Either way it's very good news.

Wow this is very interesting. The biggest issue seemed to always be ownership, so having a quality owner like Perimeter is fantastic.

I wonder what they've got planned
I wonder what the legal status is ... I don't think the condo conversion ever got as far as being registered before Lorchrist went bankrupt, although people have paid for their units and moved in (and sued Lorchrist).

Is it actually registered as a condo corporation now?
The huge vacant main floor area would make for a good sized urban supermarket.
are people currently living there?
Yes.
http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/small-fire-i...s-1.734446
(01-21-2016, 11:14 PM)neonjoe Wrote: The huge vacant main floor area would make for a good sized urban supermarket.

You're right, this would be a great spot for a supermarket. The parking lot on the opposite side of King just west of here has been mentioned on this forum as potentially good site for a supermarket, and I think this area (this side of downtown, very accessible to Kaufman, One Victoria and City Centre) could support one. Access from Water might make it easier to arrange for the loading bays and other facilities it would need.

Cleaning up this eyesore would be a game changer for that little area of downtown.   Happy to see it picked up by a group that will push it forward!
I agree a supermarket would be great but I think it would also be a good space for LCBO. It's more centralized then there current location and they will have to find another location fairly soon anyway, since the plaza is being demolished.
(01-22-2016, 05:46 PM)TMKM94 Wrote: I agree a supermarket would be great but I think it would also be a good space for LCBO. It's more centralized then there current location and they will have to find another location fairly soon anyway, since the plaza is being demolished.

Which location?  At Victoria and the Expressway?
The King's Crossing plaza has an LCBO that used to close early, 5 or 6 on weekdays. It seemed ridiculous to me about 10 years ago when I used to shop at it.
It still closes at 6 most weekdays...and Saturday.
(01-22-2016, 05:46 PM)TMKM94 Wrote: I agree a supermarket would be great but I think it would also be a good space for LCBO. It's more centralized then there current location and they will have to find another location fairly soon anyway, since the plaza is being demolished.

Yes, this!

(01-21-2016, 11:14 PM)neonjoe Wrote: The huge vacant main floor area would make for a good sized urban supermarket.

With deep pockets and vision Perimeter is a great development player for this site.

Let's not forget that the Old Eaton's building has a huge basement available for retail remake such as a supermarket and a LCBO below with small boutique stores refaced and refreshed for the new 2020 King Street streetscape.
(01-21-2016, 09:51 PM)taylortbb Wrote: I'm not sure how exactly that works with the condo ownership for the residential units, maybe they just obtained condo-like ownership of the retail parts? Either way it's very good news.

According to The Record, Perimeter only purchased the main floor, not the whole building, which makes more sense (the residential units had already been sold a long time ago).

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/6249...e-by-june/
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »