Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Other Forum Issues
Making a thread to cover generic issues that don't really need their own thread.  Just a place to bring their attention to the Admins.

It looks like WRConnected.com has turned into a GoDaddy landing page.

Weird...still forwarding to this site for me. Anyone else experiencing this?
(10-10-2014, 10:51 AM)Spokes Wrote: Weird...still forwarding to this site for me.  Anyone else experiencing this?

The forwarding works fine for me as well.
WRC now has 150 members!
Does the Report button in the bottom right corner of a post do anything? It doesn't cause any confirmation dialog to pop up, or any other noticeable action to occur.
(10-19-2014, 11:45 PM)mpd618 Wrote: Does the Report button in the bottom right corner of a post do anything? It doesn't cause any confirmation dialog to pop up, or any other noticeable action to occur.

You should get a confirmation dialog that asks why you're reporting. I do in Chrome, haven't tried any other browsers.
I didn't get one in Chrome.

Odd. Ya you're supposed to. I got your report.

The thing that I'm happiest about is that when we do have an instance of spam (sadly it's bound to happen) that I get numerous reports about it. We've got such an active and engaged community here, so THANK YOU ALL!!
Can you offer some explanation about the "Reputation" feature? Is is replacing the "Thank You" from WW? Generally, most people seem to be at 0.
Presumably you click Rate at the bottom left of a post to express approval/disapproval of a post or poster. The former increments your Reputation while the latter decrements it. I've seen this sort of rating system used on other systems to highlight the most respected posters or those who have made insightful posts. I've also seen it abused, for instance to gang up on a poster or attempt to vote him off the island.

IMO there is a huge difference between the two concepts, Reputation and Rating. The current system, at least as I understand it, confuses the two. There should therefore be two counters, a Reputation for each poster, and a separate Rating for each post.
ookpik nailed it on the head for explaining it.

The "Rate" feature is a standard feature in the software. There are "like" plugins I could add, but they are a bit flaky. I can look into it if that's something people like though

There are two counters though ookpik. If you look next to your user name you'll see your reputation. If you look at the top of a thread you'll see 5 stars to give a thread a rating.
(10-21-2014, 10:43 AM)Spokes Wrote: If you look at the top of a thread you'll see 5 stars to give a thread a rating.

Yes but how do you show that a particular post has a high rating? Suppose somewhere in the thread someone makes a particularly insightful post or a post that delivers a decisive point about a hotly debated topic. How do we give that post the recognition it deserves and show our appreciation for that particular post?

A couple of related comments. I access the forums using a bookmark to www.waterlooregionconnected.com/search.php?action=getnew. This displays a list of threads that have new posts since my last visit to the forum. Then I click the green arrow on each to open new tabs that go directly to the first unread (by me) new post in each thread. 

1. Unless a thread is new I never see the top of a thread and thus never see its rating. Would it be possible to add the thread rating to the Thread / Author field in Search Results?

2. With several tabs open to new posts it quickly becomes difficult to know which thread I'm looking at. I have to scroll all the way up to the top of the thread to see its title. Would it be possible to also put the thread title in the Quick Reply line, i.e. "Quick Reply to Other Forum Issues"?

I realize my use of the forum may be quirky so don't go to a lot of trouble to explore these suggestions, unless of course others would also find them useful. Thanks.
(10-21-2014, 11:30 AM)ookpik Wrote:
(10-21-2014, 10:43 AM)Spokes Wrote: If you look at the top of a thread you'll see 5 stars to give a thread a rating.

Yes but how do you show that a particular post has a high rating? Suppose somewhere in the thread someone makes a particularly insightful post or a post that delivers a decisive point about a hotly debated topic. How do we give that post the recognition it deserves and show our appreciation for that particular post?

To show recognition for that particular post it'd need that "Like" plugin I mentioned.

(10-21-2014, 11:30 AM)ookpik Wrote: A couple of related comments. I access the forums using a bookmark to www.waterlooregionconnected.com/search.php?action=getnew. This displays a list of threads that have new posts since my last visit to the forum. Then I click the green arrow on each to open new tabs that go directly to the first unread (by me) new post in each thread. 

1. Unless a thread is new I never see the top of a thread and thus never see its rating. Would it be possible to add the thread rating to the Thread / Author field in Search Results?

2. With several tabs open to new posts it quickly becomes difficult to know which thread I'm looking at. I have to scroll all the way up to the top of the thread to see its title. Would it be possible to also put the thread title in the Quick Reply line, i.e. "Quick Reply to Other Forum Issues"?

I realize my use of the forum may be quirky so don't go to a lot of trouble to explore these suggestions, unless of course others would also find them useful. Thanks.

Request #1 might be a little bit difficult, but I'll look into it.

Request #2 should be a little easier. I'll look into that too.

Re: Request #2, how's that?
(10-21-2014, 06:01 PM)Spokes Wrote: Re: Request #2, how's that?

Thank you kindly. (I'd have also given your post a [Image: thumbsup.gif] if only there was a way to do it <ducks>)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »