Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Uptown] Erb/Bridgeport/Caroline/Albert Reconstruction
(12-11-2015, 04:24 PM)SammyOES Wrote: Who?  I think almost everybody ITT has pointed out that we want it to be friendly to people on foot...

Okay, sorry. I inferred from "A reasonably fast route from the expressway to Uptown seems pretty nice to me and there are lots of more important places in Waterloo to focus on being pedestrian friendly" (quoted a few posts back) that this was not a place to focus on making the environment friendlier for people on foot.

Some AADT data to explore:

https://public.tableau.com/profile/pheid.../Dashboard

Collision data for 2014 can be found:
http://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/region...f#page=215
(again this would be an interesting Open Data dataset)

Bridgeport at King made the top ("bottom"?) 10 for pedestrian collisions.

It had 6 total collision over five years (1.2/year observed, 0.2 predicted) with annual excess social costs of $57,518, but since countermeasures were installed only 1. Description of ccountermeasures installed here: http://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/region...f#page=245

Weber at Bridgeport had 62 collisions in the last 5 years. There were 2.4 fatal/injury collisions per year observed when 1.7 was predicted, and 10.0 property damage collisions were observed when 6.4 were predicted, and it annual excess social costs of $23,266.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Thumbs up to data!
To me the most problematic spot in this area (after Erb/Caroline itself) is the offramp from Erb Street to Albert Street (Street view link). It's a natural crossing point to get to Albert Street, but the width and car speeds are absurd.
I wasn't able to make the PCC last night due to work, any new details not in the project information sheet?
Yes.

The layby on Erb in front of the church is actually 7 parking spots, created as part of the Rapid Transit project. presumably as horse-trading for the loss of parking in the WTS parking lot across Erb. This project is required to match to the intersection design for Caroline/Erb provided to them by RT, and that includes these on-street parking spaces.  Coordination with the RT Project team to maybe adjust the design is... not easy.

A member of the church was not a fan of this wrong-side parallel parking.

The Erb St sharrow lane, it might not be obvious, grows from a bike lane that will exist on Erb.  They were receptive to my idea to sever through traffic for cars in that lane.
So a car heading east on Erb stays in the left lane as they approach Caroline, so as to move as quickly as possible. Upon crossing Caroline, they'll be looking to their right, for traffic turning right from Caroline, to their left, for traffic turning left from Caroline, to their right, for traffic about to slow down to exit/suddenly enter at WTS, and now also to their left for cars about to slow down/suddenly enter from these seven spots for the church. Confused

(01-28-2016, 02:56 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: So a car heading east on Erb stays in the left lane as they approach Caroline, so as to move as quickly as possible. Upon crossing Caroline, they'll be looking to their right, for traffic turning right from Caroline, to their left, for traffic turning left from Caroline, to their right, for traffic about to slow down to exit/suddenly enter at WTS, and now also to their left for cars about to slow down/suddenly enter from these seven spots for the church. Confused

I assume that you won't have to look too hard for turning traffic from Caroline because you will have the right-of-way through the intersection. But there will be a lot going on through that area. Don't forget to include LRT coming from either direction across Caroline, pedestrians crossing mid-block, and cyclists jockeying for position. I'm afraid this will end up as one of the worst intersections in Waterloo Region. I think the only thing that will save it is that it doesn't have the high speed and traffic volume you might find at a place like University and Weber.
Turning right onto William from Caroline, across the LRT tracks, that was my thought - I declared that it will be one of the first places we'll see a crash. Too tempting to make a right on red and forget there's a train coming.
(01-28-2016, 05:53 PM)Canard Wrote: Turning right onto William from Caroline, across the LRT tracks, that was my thought - I declared that it will be one of the first places we'll see a crash. Too tempting to make a right on red and forget there's a train coming.

Do you mean onto Caroline from Erb?
No, I mean heading South on Caroline and then turning right onto William (right where the Art Store is). If a train is coming there, it's going parallel to you over your right shoulder and if people ignore the "Do not turn right - Train Approaching" illuminated sign that I hope will be there, they'll drive right in front of the train.
That is probably going to be the most frequent kind of accident. All those side-running sections will be a rather new experience for drivers.
Will it catch some by surprise? Probably.

Would we allow a driver to say that they weren't used to looking over their right shoulder when that's where they have to look to see a pedestrian crossing, or a cyclist in a bike lane coming up? No. I'd be happy to see some extra help given to drivers to get used to this scenario, but I will be mad as can be if anyone excuses this behaviour.

A late reminder that today is the last day for comments on the first public consultation for this project.

https://icreate3.esolutionsgroup.ca/2306...ackage.pdf

Regional Municipality of Waterloo
Bridgeport Road, Caroline Street, Erb Street, and Albert Street Improvements
City of Waterloo
Public Consultation Centre

Please complete and hand in this sheet so that your views can be considered for this
project. If you cannot complete your comments today, please take this home and mail,
fax or e-mail your comments by Wednesday, February 17, 2016 to:

Mr. Jim Ellerman, A.Sc.T.
Project Manager, Capital Projects
Regional Municipality of Waterloo
150 Frederick Street, 6th Floor
Design and Construction Division
Kitchener, ON N2G 4J3
Phone: 519-575-4757 ext. 3757
Email: jellerman@regionofwaterloo.ca

Mark Christensen, P.Eng.
Project Manager
WALTERFEDY
675 Queen St. S., Suite 111
Kitchener, ON N2M 1A1
Phone: 519.576.2150 x285
Email: mchristensen@walterfedy.com
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Here is the input I sent to planning:

Hello Mr. Ellerman,

I am writing to you in regards to the proposed Bridgeport Road/Caroline Street, Erb Street And Albert Street reconstruction. Though the plan has many highlights there are also significant shortcomings that keep the proposal from providing an equitable complete streets design in what is the most walkable area in our Region.

Firstly, the width of the proposed lanes falls outside the realm of best practices for safety of drivers, pedestrians and people on bikes. Multiple studies (City Lab: http://www.citylab.com/design/2014/10/wh...ow/381117/) have indicated that lanes wider than 3.25 m widths encourage speeding, which in turn increases the likelihood of accident and fatality in the case of pedestrian or cyclist impact. I understand the Regional standard calls for wider lanes but Uptown sees significantly higher pedestrian and cyclist traffic than most of the Region and should be held to a higher standard. Small changes in this respect can have a massive impact in saving lives (http://slowdownsavelives.com/information...on-on-50k/) and all efforts should be made to mandate narrower lane widths in this high active-use area to improve safety.

Another major way in which safety can be improved is by moving the curb along Erb Street, where the proposal calls for it to abut the sidewalk and bringing it against the travel lane. This has the potential to improve walkability along the street by provide a grass median along the north side of the street to enhance the perceived and actual safety along the road for pedestrians. If this were to happen, the lane markings could also be adjusted to provide a smaller buffer along the North of Erb and a buffer between the through lane and the sidewalk on the South side of Erb. Today, this road sees little pedestrian traffic on account of feeling highly hostile to those street users. A likely increase in foot traffic will arise as a result of the significant volume of residents that are starting to call the Barrel Yards home and making their way to the businesses along King Street. All efforts should therefore be made here to enhance the pedestrian experience and encourage active use.

Additionally, a crosswalk should be provided at Albert Street to facilitate a better pedestrian connection. A vision of 0 pedestrian deaths (CityLab: http://www.citylab.com/cityfixer/2016/01...ty/424149/) has been embraced by many municipalities around the world and should be a goal for our Region too. Personally, I have worked at the Marsland Centre for nearly a decade and know of co-workers who pick driving to businesses on the South side of Erb over walking because of the lack of a crossing here and others who are discouraged from patronizing the business they look out across the street because it would take too long to get there by walking to one of the crossings at King or Caroline. As stated above, this is a highly walkable area of our Region and should be held to a higher standard in that regard as a result.

The Albert street changes that have been proposed are great but could be improved by moving the parallel parking lane to the opposite side of the street. Without relocating the bike lane, the parked vehicles could serve as the Region's first protected bike lane (People for Bikes: http://www.peopleforbikes.org/green-lane...-lanes-101) by creating a safety buffer between moving traffic and the people on bikes. Many find it difficult to parallel in the traditional manner and will find it even harder to do so on the "wrong" side of the street.. This could also address the issue of eliminating the left turn off Albert and onto Caroline by maintaining the short crosswalk distance at the intersection and while allowing for safe left turns off Albert with the travel lane on the left of the road.

Though the the proposed EA for a trail on the North end of Erb Street is not completed in time for this project, a justification for suddenly widening Erb Street from a two lane road to a three lane road at this particular point must also be questioned. Vehicular left turns off the Bridgeport side of Caroline are minimal and likely to remain so. Vehicular right turns off Caroline onto Erb from the opposite direction are also going to remain limited given the ION related narrowing of the street. Traffic increases at this point will therefore be negligible. Without the need to widen Erb today it would be much easier to implement a bike trail along the North end of Erb street, should the EA indicate it is warranted. This would further enhance active use of the street by provide a measure of safety acceptable to those 8 to 80 years old (Canada Bikes pdf: https://bikehub.ca/sites/default/files/i...ission.pdf). As proposed though, sharrows are completely inappropriate (University of Colorado: http://www.treehugger.com/bikes/new-stud...afety.html) on all but very minor roads.

Though again outside of the scope of this project, a consideration must be made to how the Erb and Caroline streets intersection is handled. Anything that can be done to alter the design of this intersection should be considered and pursued because this intersection is a very important juncture for trail users in the city of Waterloo It serves as the crossing of the:

1.       Laurel Trail from West Waterloo
2.       Iron Horse Trail (via the on-road trail which will run from Allan Street to here)
3.       New Spur Line Trail (via the Waterloo Square)
4.       Approved cycle track along King Street North (via proposed Bridgeport trail)
5.       The Laurel Trail to the East end of Waterloo
6.    Potential Erb Street trail from Margaret street

It is for this reason, that the Erb/Caroline intersection is more than likely to become the busiest active transportation juncture in the Region over the coming years. Safety to all active users must therefore be benchmark setting and a bike box that forces trail users around right turning vehicles onto Caroline street, as proposed today is unsafe. A Dutch style junction along the north end of the intersection that connects to the trail on the South side of Caroline and the potential trail along Erb would significantly improve safety at this intersection and encourage use. There are many applied examples around the world of how to implement such an intersection with this video (YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlApbxLz6pA) serving as a great jumping off point.

I am excited to see attention is being given and changes are proposed to improve active use, safety and usability of this important area in the city of Waterloo and believe that with some of the above changes, this area of our Region can not only improve but become a hallmark of city planning that will be used as a benchmark throughout the Region and beyond.

Thank you for your consideration,
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »