Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
It looks like they may shortly be switching traffic from the south side of Northfield and the west side of King to the north and easy side respectively. I just drove by there and they already have the lines painted.

Ontario is now closed at Charles as trackwork inexorably moves further south. Here's the view from this morning:

[Image: baMa9Fw.png]

[Image: 7mazKUc.jpg]

By the time I passed the site again tonight, track had been extended all the way up to nearly in the intersection.
(02-02-2016, 11:12 AM)KevinL Wrote: Forgot to post these yesterday - and Canard has pipped me a bit - but here's another look at the Gaukel intersection area.

[Image: 4X7Q1Xc.jpg]

I love this bit of pedestrian accessibility!
[Image: okaHtVQ.jpg]

I give them credit for an outdoor pathway that technically meets the Ontario accessibility standard  Huh  Smile
(02-04-2016, 12:41 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Considering the number of businesses which have closed up in the current Wildfire space, it's a bit rich to hear that they might close up because of ION.

Only two restaurants have closed in that space in the last few years.  Ali Baba after a very long run and then Baton Rouge after a very short period that would suggest that something else happened at a higher corporate level (a "realignment of corporate priorities and target markets" might be how it is explained).

A larger question should be, how can the general infrastructure upgrade system be changed so it isn't onerous on a business to claim losses when an upgrade is carried out?  For instance, the easiest way might be to defer the property tax on an affected area until after the construction is complete.  There wouldn't be any need to prove lost sales since the property tax rate is independent of business activity.  The deferral would be attached to the property as an incentive for the business owner to stick around once the project is finished.  Staff (and contractors) would have the incentive that every construction delay would directly affect the Region (or City) bottomline.  Just a thought.
I understand the businesses that were on King St. for many years being upset with the road being closed for so long, but IMO the Wildfire owner has no right to complain about it, he knew way before he opened the restaurant that King was going to be closed for about a year.
(02-05-2016, 02:04 PM)nms Wrote:
(02-04-2016, 12:41 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Considering the number of businesses which have closed up in the current Wildfire space, it's a bit rich to hear that they might close up because of ION.

Only two restaurants have closed in that space in the last few years.  Ali Baba after a very long run and then Baton Rouge after a very short period.

There was also a place Called Encore (I can't remember if it was a different restaurant or if Ali Baba just got renamed?)
Ooooooo, very excited to report that the traffic signals are up at Borden/Courtland, so we finally get to see our very first preview of what the final LRT traffic signals will be like!!!!!!

Was in a hurry to get home so didn't get any photos, but the tram signal is folded up, but it's there. I'll swing by tomorrow morning and get some photos. The crews have put a temporary office up right on the tracks, too.

Please tell me you have a pic Canard!!
" In an interview, Ness said he's debating whether to keep his restaurant open.

"It might even be cheaper to shut down and bankrupt the business and walk away," "

Absolutely no sympathy for him, he knew the risks and if his business is that fragile perhaps he should consider closing it regardless. I do feel for the long time businesses but again, they need to absorb it because King would have to be closed eventually regardless of LRT related construction.
(02-05-2016, 04:46 PM)TMKM94 Wrote:
(02-05-2016, 02:04 PM)nms Wrote: Only two restaurants have closed in that space in the last few years.  Ali Baba after a very long run and then Baton Rouge after a very short period.

There was also a place Called Encore (I can't remember if it was a different restaurant or if Ali Baba just got renamed?)

I believe that was Ali Baba. The owner of Ali Baba rebranded very gradually. I believe the Ali Baba sign on top of the building didn’t get removed until it was sold to the Baton Rouge people.
Uptown Waterloo Bus stop being shipped off prior to construction on Monday:

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Not sure if anyone has posted this or not, but Tritag is fundraising for their site and they are selling Ion pins with the Ion station artwork. Interesting idea. (disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Tritag and I am not endorsing them in any way. I do admire the artwork).

[Image: sxoff2x0etypmvqdailm.png]

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ion-s...y-tritag#/
(02-05-2016, 04:59 PM)gomesjustin Wrote: Please tell me you have a pic Canard!!

I do now!  And I'm posting these by tethering to my cel phone, because Teksavvy has been up and down for the last couple days, but I couldn't wait to share these photos from this morning.

This week, crews returned to Borden to continue track installation East toward Charles. They've set up a temporary office right on the tracks, near Nyberg.

In Downtown Kitchener, trackwork on Charles is racing along South.  Charles/Water is reopened to traffic, and crews were on-site today to begin disassembly/moving of the protective tents over the section of track under Manulife.

Charles/Water area cont'd:

Charles/Queen:

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »