Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Breithaupt Block | 16 m | 4 fl | Complete
Ads, Fiber, Chrome... There's an iOS team as well, can't remember what for (maybe Chrome)

(12-06-2015, 05:40 PM)chutten Wrote: There's an iOS team as well, can't remember what for

Notably iOS Gmail/Inbox (that's public).

Also public, the OnHub router software.
Kind of a shame that Google Fiber is developed it Kitchener, yet we won't see it for the foreseeable future. What kinda garbage is that?
I think Google is pretty flexible about how its teams are spread out. Apparently the Kitchener Chrome team started because a fairly senior member of the team wanted to move back to Waterloo from Mountain View. I find it astonishing that such a large company has that kind of flexibility.
(12-07-2015, 03:16 AM)GtwoK Wrote: Kind of a shame that Google Fiber is developed it Kitchener, yet we won't see it for the foreseeable future. What kinda garbage is that?

In the current regulatory environment, a US-based company would have no chance at being allowed to build that kind of infrastructure. We're more likely to get something homegrown.
(12-07-2015, 03:47 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(12-07-2015, 03:16 AM)GtwoK Wrote: Kind of a shame that Google Fiber is developed it Kitchener, yet we won't see it for the foreseeable future. What kinda garbage is that?

In the current regulatory environment, a US-based company would have no chance at being allowed to build that kind of infrastructure. We're more likely to get something homegrown.

We had homegrown fibre; it was called Atria Networks. Back in the day it was intended to serve small businesses, the school boards, and city buildings (as it was seen as excessive for home use) - but the infrastructure was in place for municipal-level fibre almost a decade ago.
Atria is part of Rogers now. Once the buyout was completed the sign was taken off the KW Hydro building.

I now remember that when I first moved to Waterloo in 2008 there was a WLAN network operated by Atria reaching my condo. You could pay them for wireless Internet access.
I noticed yesterday that a bit of cladding has been put on the large blank façade facing King St. I don't know if it's glass or metal but it has a silver mirror finish. I had not expected that.
Google Canada to unveil new development HQ in Kitchener 
Quote:Google Canada will unveil a new headquarters for its national development team in Kitchener, Ont., on Thursday.

The tech giant says more than 350 engineers will work on Google products in the new 185,000-square-foot office.

The new workspace is located in the Breithuapt Block, a former rubber manufacturing facility that takes up a full city block.

The company says the unveiling Thursday will showcase its virtual reality technology, which was built in the Kitchener-Waterloo area, and other locally made products.

Google’s thumbprint in the Kitchener-Waterloo region, which has become an IT hub, has grown since opening its first office there in 2005.

Also in The Record but with the correct photo, Google Canada to unveil new headquarters 
[Image: B822225173Z.1_20151125212407_000_G0R1JBN...allery.jpg]
(01-12-2016, 08:20 AM)ookpik Wrote: Also in The Record but with the correct photo, Google Canada to unveil new headquarters 

Well… they got the right block, but this is for the brick buildings, not the glassy one, which is still under construction.
The PM will be attending the opening
http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/prime-minist...-1.2736283

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

I'll give extra kudos to Kitchener city council for allowing this project. It shows how one can preserve and restore the old while combining it with impressive forward looking architecture. I.e. best of both worlds.
It really is quite the transformation if you think back to what it used to be.

I'd imagine they'll be completing this in the early spring.

I wonder if they've given any thought to that parking lot they own next door.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »