Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Grand River Transit
(03-21-2016, 07:18 AM)Canard Wrote: I think where they're expropriating makes a lot more sense. Having a little bubble surrounded by CF lot seems risky and silly.

Not to mention, I'm sure that taking such a parcel would likely be ripe for a serious legal battle, considering the ways that it impacts potential future expansion of the mall.

It is interesting that they did not opt to make the south side of the LRT station also do double-duty as a bus platform. I suppose there isn't enough clearance between the LRT tracks an the Leons building for the service road as well as bus bays.

The proposed terminal move on UW is interesting as it diverts bus traffic away from the Davis Centre which offered, among other things washrooms, a Tim Hortons, and space for GO ticket sales. The fact that they will be moving traffic along what has previously been a service road may have an impact on UW Plant Operations traffic (not to mention their central stores loading bays that front onto this laneway). I would hope that the road crossing would be limited to buses and service vehicles only.

I wonder which hats Tom Galloway was wearing if he took part in the negotiations between the Region and his employer, the University of Waterloo? Since he was, until he recently retired, a key figure in the Plant Operations department, it would have been difficult to separate himself from either side.
I think we do have something of a long game going on here. I can see the Leon's property being snapped up by a developer interested in higher density; the neighbouring part of the Fairview lot may get sold similarly; the Region will also be free to parcel off the parking portion of this property and we could see something much bigger go in.

This would then leave the transit facilities surrounded by dense development, perfectly in line with planning goals.
https://issuu.com/urbanstrategiesinc/doc...647#search

pg 145 shares the hope of leon's redevelopment.
(03-21-2016, 12:36 PM)nms Wrote: The proposed terminal move on UW is interesting as it diverts bus traffic away from the Davis Centre which offered, among other things washrooms, a Tim Hortons, and space for GO ticket sales.  The fact that they will be moving traffic along what has previously been a service road may have an impact on UW Plant Operations traffic (not to mention their central stores loading bays that front onto this laneway). I would hope that the road crossing would be limited to buses and service vehicles only.

I wonder which hats Tom Galloway was wearing if he took part in the negotiations between the Region and his employer, the University of Waterloo?  Since he was, until he recently retired, a key figure in the Plant Operations department, it would have been difficult to separate himself from either side.

In the long term there may be buildings to support those functions. The blue outlines in the recent images that were posted seem to correspond to a planned engineering building and parking structure in UW's campus master plan:
http://plantoperations.uwaterloo.ca/cmp/...df#page102

All very good questions be raised by all.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
I just received, of all things, good news from the GRT. They called my house to tell me that the extra 92/University Loop stop I wanted on Fischer-Hallman at Craigleath is totally something they could do, and would try to get in place for the Spring service change.

I was completely gobsmacked.

The GRT rep on the phone said she wanted to call because she so infrequently gets to give good news, so I gather it was a little surprising for their side, too.

The system works?
The EasyGO Trip Planner has been updated.

http://web.grt.ca/HastinfoMVCWeb

(03-23-2016, 11:16 AM)D40LF Wrote: The EasyGO Trip Planner has been updated.

http://web.grt.ca/HastinfoMVCWeb

It's using Google Maps instead of Bing Maps for its mapping layer. They've given it a visual overhaul. Its speed may have improved a little.

But it's still routefinding based on scheduled data instead of realtime. Also, the pedestrian routing doesn't know to avoid closed streets.

I think I'm going to have to stay with Google Maps on this one, even if it does sometimes give me "departs every 29 minutes" instead of a firm time when I ask.
It almost looks... usable.
From the Record: Free GRT? Waterloo Region to consider transit passes for festivals and events

I'm curious what the uptake will be during those three events in Cambridge (I wish they identified which). Am I recalling correctly that GRT offers free service on Oktoberfest nights near some venues, and on New Year's Eve? It would be nice to extend that to other events, too, and show people who don't currently take transit that you can take the bus sober, too.

Edit: Hey, just realized that it's the Maple Syrup Festival this weekend. That would be a great event to offer free transit; maybe next year.
I know I've pushed in emails and some presentations for this, and am glad to see Geoff on the ball here.

I don't know what the uptake is for Rangers games, but I'd hope to have at least as good an option as Ottawa's free buses home from Parliament Hill Canada Day fireworks.

I thought that family passes were currently only available for Sundays, not weekends in general? Seems awkward given how we still have many things in the Region which are closed on Sundays, as well as seeing this as the first "showcase" of GRT, being the worst possible service standards.

I think convenience is key. Having to get a pass in advance probably turns off a bunch of people, since most would have to drive to get one. I wish operators would have a transfer-like setup for weekend daypasses. Currently, they'll rip off transfers to show only the last time that you can use them; why not have dates on daypasses that can similarly be torn off? Might even be able to fit a whole year onto 1-4 pads, so that keeping stock on every bus isn't that hard or costly. Once we move to printed transfers, like OCTranspo currently uses, this'll be much, much easier.
Our day passes are already easy to mark for day/month/year. They're scratch off based, just have to scratch the date. There's no reason they couldn't be sold on buses, though the fact they're exact change only would be annoying. They'd probably also be a target for theft.
(03-30-2016, 10:09 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: I thought that family passes were currently only available for Sundays, not weekends in general? Seems awkward given how we still have many things in the Region which are closed on Sundays, as well as seeing this as the first "showcase" of GRT, being the worst possible service standards.

Weekends and holidays. And, you're right, giving a family its first glimpse of GRT service on a Sunday or a holiday is not a great idea. But I do think the pass is good value.

There's a rather limited number of vendors selling day passes. I guess someone from out of town or new to the system will head to the terminal to get them, but not necessarily. I believe you can buy them in advance and scratch off the date, as taylortbb says and as it works on the TTC.

Whatever gets them into the hands of operators is key, I only suggested a method similar to what operators already do because operators already do it. The difficulty of getting a daypass is a huge impediment that I feel will continue to limit the opportunities it should afford. Whereas many people enter Toronto by mass transit (VIA, GO, Greyhound), which is directly at stations selling these passes, our sales are not as easily found, nor are these as common an entry point to our system, let alone the local opportunities it doesn't afford.
What the GRT seems to be marching towards is an Oyster Card-like situation where everyone just has fare cards where your daily transport cost is at least the cost of one trip and at most the cost of one daily pass.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »