Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(04-05-2016, 08:47 AM)chutten Wrote: the gigantic double-monolith development on Philip on the old Ontario Seed lot (couldn't find a WRC thread for the development, but I don't know its name).

That is Icon 330.

(04-05-2016, 12:29 AM)Canard Wrote: ...and we know that Borden is wide enough to accommodate two tracks without expropriation?

Ottawa St, at its narrowest point, is 25m wide, building to building.
Borden Ave, at its narrowest point, is 23m wide, building to building.
If the former is, apparently, wide enough to accommodate 5 lanes (4 car, 1 LRT), then the latter should be able to accommodate 4 lanes (2 car, 2 LRT)

It's tight, I agree, but so is the future situation on Ottawa.  Both are clearly achievable, but neither without some degree of expropriation.
(04-05-2016, 11:37 AM)Markster Wrote:
(04-05-2016, 12:29 AM)Canard Wrote: ...and we know that Borden is wide enough to accommodate two tracks without expropriation?

Ottawa St, at its narrowest point, is 25m wide, building to building.
Borden Ave, at its narrowest point, is 23m wide, building to building.
If the former is, apparently, wide enough to accommodate 5 lanes (4 car, 1 LRT), then the latter should be able to accommodate 4 lanes (2 car, 2 LRT)

It's tight, I agree, but so is the future situation on Ottawa.  Both are clearly achievable, but neither without some degree of expropriation.

Is there confirmation somewhere that Ottawa will be widened between Charles and Mill?  I can see why it might be, but I have never seen anything concrete to confirm that it's going to happen.
(04-05-2016, 12:27 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Is there confirmation somewhere that Ottawa will be widened between Charles and Mill?  I can see why it might be, but I have never seen anything concrete to confirm that it's going to happen.

Yes. It is in the Regional Transportation Master Plan. It does not have a date yet, as it was deferred until after ION construction completes. Which is weird, considering it means tearing up the street again, but that was done to ensure that ION has a timely launch.
So they were planing to widen it to 4 lanes, then ion happened and they paused it? Hmm. Really reads to me like they said "Whoah", and put the brakes on it knowing it would be too wide for the corridor.
There's also something to be said about the potential expropriation for widening Ottawa (vs. reconfiguring) being "for cars" rather than "for ION," from a narrative point of view.
On which side of Ottawa St will ION run - the Rockway golf course side or the Schneiders side (sorry, east/west makes no sense in that location!)?

Here's what I've been able to dig up, from memory of presentations of ATAC and from crawling through P&W agendas.
  • Ottawa between Alpine and Lackner is being entirely rebuilt in stages.
  • Lackner to River (2016), and River to 85 (2017) are already listed in the current construction projects
  • Pattandon to Imperial was meant to go earlier (this is the section that the Region got some flak over inadequate consultation, and a misguided suggestion to combine bike lanes with parking lanes). P&W Agenda link. Was planned for 2017. That's now listed as 2018 in current construction projects.
  • Charles to Pattandon (just past Mill) is ION.
  • The remaining section is 85 to Charles:
P&W agenda link. Scheduled for 2018-2019 construction. The widening people are wondering about will claim Corner Pub and the Farah's office, and likely some of the parking alongside City Cafe. The image below is not quite a plan view, but shows the expropriations.

Hope this helps!

Attached Files Image(s)

I guess the remaining question is whether Ottawa, from Mill to Charles, will eventually be widened to 4 general traffic lanes.
(04-06-2016, 10:34 AM)Markster Wrote: I guess the remaining question is whether Ottawa, from Mill to Charles, will eventually be widened to 4 general traffic lanes.

If so, and given where the ION will run, it would seem that expropriations along the "Schneiders side" of Ottawa street would be necessary.
Especially with the ion track being on the Rockway side. I doubt they'd want to move that track once it's in place.
Forms are around the tracks on Charles starting at Benton, most concrete is ready to be poured here. Forms are also in for the Borden station, and the track curve from Borden onto Charles is also in place!

[Image: X75xLsh.jpg]
[Image: xTNg5x6.jpg]
The TPSS and crane were sitting on Bearinger this morning ready for installation today. Has the one at Columbia been installed yet?

It should have been; April 5 and April 6 were the installation dates for Bearanger and Columbia.
Not yet, it hasn't. I biked past there this morning.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »