Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
(04-30-2016, 10:28 PM)GtwoK Wrote: On another note, I remember seeing a For Sale (and possibly a Sold?) sign on the South West corner of Weber Victoria. Anyone know any details, or which specific building was sold there? This intersection is ripe for some redevlopment, post grade separation.

That was the Fackoury Garage property, wasn't it?  I don't have the impression that anything will happen there soon.  I wondered when the sign went up whether the Working Centre/St John's Kitchen people might not be interested, but I suspect the price would be beyond their capacity.

(04-30-2016, 10:54 PM)BrianT Wrote:
(04-30-2016, 10:36 PM)panamaniac Wrote: That was the Fackoury Garage property, wasn't it?  I don't have the impression that anything will happen there soon.  I wondered when the sign went up whether the Working Centre/St John's Kitchen people might not be interested, but I suspect the price would be beyond their capacity.

I would guess that there are contamination issues to deal with on that property before any redevelopment could take place.....spills of petroleum products over the years.

Working Centre could possibly use it as an automotive shop or something similar, negating the need for redevelopment.

But I don't believe the property can be sold without the environmental mitigation being completed.
(04-30-2016, 10:58 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(04-30-2016, 10:54 PM)BrianT Wrote: I would guess that there are contamination issues to deal with on that property before any redevelopment could take place.....spills of petroleum products over the years.

Working Centre could possibly use it as an automotive shop or something similar, negating the need for redevelopment.

But I don't believe the property can be sold without the environmental mitigation being completed

That would surprise me.  I could see it if the building were to be demolished, but otherwise how would it even be physically possible?
OK, checking ... and it can be sold (sorry about the mistake). Basically the "original" owner is responsible for cleanup. So if you buy a property without mitigation, you would need to then go after the seller to cover the mitigation expenses -- a pretty risky proposition. So few buyers are willing to buy a gas station (for example) without a proper environmental assessment and mitigation.
(04-30-2016, 11:08 PM)tomh009 Wrote: OK, checking ... and it can be sold (sorry about the mistake).  Basically the "original" owner is responsible for cleanup.  So if you buy a property without mitigation, you would need to then go after the seller to cover the mitigation expenses -- a pretty risky proposition.  So few buyers are willing to buy a gas station (for example) without a proper environmental assessment and mitigation.

So the fact that this property sold suggests that the assessment was done at some point.

Which reminds me - they were out drilling earlier this week beside the Huck Glove building on Victoria.  I wondered if that might be environmental in nature - I'm assuming that the Huck building could be next on the list of renovated factory spaces (with room on the site to incorporate new build).
I don't think I've seen mention of it, but the Mennonite Building on Kent at Charles St has metal framework going up on the roof for what I assume will be a third floor. Surprising to see a substantial addition on such a new structure.
Oh wow that is very surprising.

(05-01-2016, 06:05 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I don't think I've seen mention of it, but the Mennonite Building on Kent at Charles St has metal framework going up on the roof for what I assume will be a third floor.  Surprising to see a substantial addition on such a new structure.

I believe it's just a solar roof similar to this style 

[Image: 640px-Solar_Roof.JPG]
(05-01-2016, 06:57 PM)Lens Wrote:
(05-01-2016, 06:05 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I don't think I've seen mention of it, but the Mennonite Building on Kent at Charles St has metal framework going up on the roof for what I assume will be a third floor.  Surprising to see a substantial addition on such a new structure.

I believe it's just a solar roof similar to this style 

[Image: 640px-Solar_Roof.JPG]

That's interesting - I wonder if there is a report or render available somewhere?
Solar panels, not an additional floor. There are signs at the entrance off the parking lot.
I just checked and there is a demolition permit (16-105534 DE) for 26 College St. Which must mean that this project has some momentum behind it or at least I hope it does.
(04-26-2016, 11:57 PM)Lens Wrote: Not sure if it was mentioned specifically but Manulife is putting some massive windows in on the third floor, Water st side of the building.

According to a sign on Joseph st. this is just the first of three phases of renovation. Next work will be done to the section north of Charles and then finally the King St. section wrapping up sometime in 2017
(04-30-2016, 11:08 PM)tomh009 Wrote: OK, checking ... and it can be sold (sorry about the mistake).  Basically the "original" owner is responsible for cleanup.  So if you buy a property without mitigation, you would need to then go after the seller to cover the mitigation expenses -- a pretty risky proposition.  So few buyers are willing to buy a gas station (for example) without a proper environmental assessment and mitigation.

This was a property owned by the Fackoury's way back into the 50s and may even still be owned by someone in the family. 

Texaco was the oil wholesaler who would have owned the tanks in the ground. Texaco became part of Chevron and Shell took over as the franchisor. Back in 1989, Imperial Esso became the owner of Texaco Canada. 

I think Fackoury stopped selling gasoline back in the 70's and so the remediation issue is likely a mess.

So, spring is here and the former Mayfair site is sitting empty and unlandscaped, surrounded by chain link fence and with several City food kiosks stored on the pile of rocks. Nice to see the City and the private sector cooperating to create that Downtown vibe.... Sad
(05-02-2016, 12:26 PM)panamaniac Wrote: So, spring is here and the former Mayfair site is sitting empty and unlandscaped, surrounded by chain link fence and with several City food kiosks stored on the pile of rocks.  Nice to see the City and the private sector cooperating to create that Downtown vibe....  Sad

I noticed that too.  I am in awe that the city hasn't followed through with the owners to finish the site off. It is one thing that they agreed to rush the demolish in through, but to not ensure they area looks good. And seriously, a storage area for wooden sale huts !!!

I am going to call the mayors office and make a complaint.

They should at a minimum make a nice patio on the corner with some greens.  Great area to sit and take everything in.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »