Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waterloo Costco
First, you guys inspire me. Thanks.

Second, I found an updated design of the Costco here.

Third, it is interesting to note there will be a northern exit (future collector road), presumably to a section of Columbia? If so, that would solve a lot of the traffic concerns on Erb.

[Image: bWvbCPo.jpg]

Nice find Drake.
Any chance of a Tim Hortons in this part of town?

Big Grin
(05-09-2016, 09:19 PM)D40LF Wrote: Any chance of a Tim Hortons in this part of town?

Big Grin

Oh man, how I dream for that.

And, look! Building 4 has a drive-thru lane encircling it!

(Hope springs eternal)
That gas station makes a lot more sense. It's connected to the Costco parking lot and follows the forced unidirectional line up of other Costco gas stations.
(05-10-2016, 08:50 AM)chutten Wrote:
(05-09-2016, 09:19 PM)D40LF Wrote: Any chance of a Tim Hortons in this part of town?

Big Grin

Oh man, how I dream for that.

(Hope springs eternal)

I wouldn't get your hopes up unfortunately...it looks too small of a drive-through.

I've done a lot of work with Tim Hortons over the past years on new builds, and their new standard is to do a double drive-through order box that merges into a single pick-up window lane. Usually from the order box back, they need to have a total of 13-15 'stacking' spaces in the drive-through lanes (could be split between the two order boxes) that won't spill into the parking lot or drive aisles, or worse, public streets.

I'm still wondering if the McDonalds that was proposed for the southeast corner of Erb and Ira Needles is still a go.
(05-11-2016, 08:01 AM)The85 Wrote:
(05-10-2016, 08:50 AM)chutten Wrote: Oh man, how I dream for that.

(Hope springs eternal)

I wouldn't get your hopes up unfortunately...it looks too small of a drive-through.

I've done a lot of work with Tim Hortons over the past years on new builds, and their new standard is to do a double drive-through order box that merges into a single pick-up window lane. Usually from the order box back, they need to have a total of 13-15 'stacking' spaces in the drive-through lanes (could be split between the two order boxes) that won't spill into the parking lot or drive aisles, or worse, public streets.

I'm still wondering if the McDonalds that was proposed for the southeast corner of Erb and Ira Needles is still a go.

SE corner of Erb @ Ira Needles has some sort of tall development going in. I'm doubting it'll have drive thru capabilities. (streetview from a while ago https://goo.gl/maps/aMMAGgU75kk )

(05-11-2016, 03:16 PM)chutten Wrote:
(05-11-2016, 08:01 AM)The85 Wrote: I wouldn't get your hopes up unfortunately...it looks too small of a drive-through.

SE corner of Erb @ Ira Needles has some sort of tall development going in. I'm doubting it'll have drive thru capabilities. (streetview from a while ago https://goo.gl/maps/aMMAGgU75kk )

[Image: 2ep06SkV.jpg]
It is an addition to the adjacent senior citizens home plus a restaurant with a drive through.
The senior citzens home seems quite a bit taller than depicted in that graphic.
(05-12-2016, 05:51 AM)rangersfan Wrote: It is an addition to the adjacent senior citizens home plus a restaurant with a drive through.

I'm a little confused about The McDonald's Drive Thru. I thought Waterloo Had a Drive-Thru ban for new construction. Has that ban been cancelled or do businesses/developers just pay a fee? I know the A&W on Lincoln Rd. Was built a few years after the ban.
As far as I'm aware, it's only a ban in mixed-use or otherwise to-be-urbanized areas.
A drive thru near a round a bout makes a lot of sense. The business can be easily accessed from any direction and the driver has the same options on departure. Gas stations should be like this too.

(05-12-2016, 11:08 AM)curiouschair Wrote: The senior citzens home seems quite a bit taller than depicted in that graphic.

The rendering notmyfriends posted is from an earlier iteration of the project, in which there was to be a 4 story office/commercial building behind the drive-thru restaurant. The plans have since changed and an 11 story seniors' apartment building connected to the existing Westhill retirement residence is being built instead.

I couldn't seem to find any decent renderings floating around, but here's a low quality screengrab from the architect's site: (http://www.rjdyckarchitect.com/index.html)

[Image: westhillapartments_zpsiwnimims.png]

It looks a little too wide and squat compared to what's actually going up on that corner, so here's another angle that seems to be more accurate, this time a low quality screengrab from streetview:

[Image: westhillstreetview_zps8p4ez1yx.png]
I guess the second phase of the Ira Needles widening is happening as planned. Bollards were put up last week and they are digging it up now. I hope it will alleviate those huge back-ups at Erb St with all the cars turning out of the Canadian Tire lot, especially with the extra traffic going to the Costco when it's built.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »