Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
There's an interesting panorama on Google Maps showing the progress as of December 2015 by a "Brock Dannecker":
https://goo.gl/maps/FqcNFskseyy

The closest views are likely from Overland Dr and Hanson Ave, but those are likely obscured by vegetation along the creek.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

(05-13-2016, 10:27 PM)Canard Wrote: Ted posted some bright and early on Monday morning on the facebook group.

I'm still hoping for concrete and pavement painting/demarcation:

[Image: GoldCoastLightRail.jpg]

I'd say because of our climate (See: Snow), pavement markings are not as effective as in warmer locations.

Same reason a parking space painted blue w/ the disabled persons logo isn't enough to warrant a parking ticket... An actual sign in front of each space is required (Ontario Highway Traffic Act).  Painting the right of way seems a waste if they need to spend more to plaster signs saying the same thing....

Coke
They use that very same yellow cross-hatching on intersections in Toronto.
Have you *seen* the amount of salt the put down on roads around here? Seeing markings on the road is no problem.
(05-13-2016, 07:51 PM)kps Wrote:
(05-13-2016, 05:08 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Duke closes at the railway tracks in a few weeks, for 1 week. They're starting a shuttle service for pedestrians to navigate this >1km long detour, thank god. The shuttle will run every 30 minutes from 6am to 6pm

Where do you read this? It's not currently listed on either the Grandlinq traffic closures or the Kitchener traffic closures.

Check out the Construction Updates page on rideion.ca or subscribe to the mailing list: http://eepurl.com/b1GVWj (posted to Twitter and Facebook every other week, typically Friday afternoon)
Video 
(05-14-2016, 07:53 AM)Canard Wrote: Is there any pedestrian access in the area to this bridge which would be suitable for taking photographs of it?

I rode by there on Friday afternoon and saw the lift in progress from Hayward Avenue. If you asked at "Grand River Natural Stone" they might let you use their yard to take some picture. Off of Overland Drive you can access a random lot full of bush and walk through to the railway to get pictures, I don't know if that land is private property or not but I remember people using it for dirtbiking and other shenanigans in the 90s.

Don't overthink it - just walk up the tracks! I and the kids in my neighbourhood spent half our childhood "hiking" down the tracks as far as Hayward and we are all still here to tell the tale.
Sorry, too much Operation Lifesaver in my blood. No track hikes for this duck!
From this morning - progress on Charles toward Cedar.

View from Cedar:
[Image: hLVhYbF.jpg]

The Eby intersection:
[Image: MDzaPC6.jpg]

Good progress on new sidewalks in the area, as well.
I still don't get the Eby intersection. The curbs drop to street level cleanly, and allow cars to cross, but it's not supposed to be a crossable intersection. As well, there are no traffic lights at the intersection either.

Also, those hydro wires crossing Charles... they're hanging a bit low, are the not? How will the catenary wires cross here?
As discussed some time back, I think the Eby intersection is not designed to be permanently open, but will be opened temporarily (and quite soon now) during the duration of construction on the Cedar intersection. (Closing both Cedar and Eby would push the nearest intersections to Benton and Cameron, a bit too far in either direction.) Once Cedar re-opens, Eby would be closed and made right-in, right-out.

As for those overhead wires, I imagine they will be replaced or relocated in some way before the catenary gets hung.
Right, but the curbs ends around Eby aren't the temporary, unfinished, rough curbs other temporary intersections have used. They have neat end pieces, that curve down and into the pavement, like the finished intersections do.

As well, it's quite strange that they would not have buried the hydro wires before laying the track, which is what I'm having trouble understanding.

Maybe the curb will stay low (as you say, they're nicely formed), so that emergency vehicles can enter the rapidway here - with signage that explicitly prohibits anyone else from entering?  (think No U-Turn signs on 401 at the emergency vehicle turnarounds.) Since the curb is so high and likely not mountable by vehicles to get up onto the rapidway, maybe entering it and leaving it by road vehicle is only possible at intersections.
(05-14-2016, 11:31 PM)KevinL Wrote: As discussed some time back, I think the Eby intersection is not designed to be permanently open, but will be opened temporarily (and quite soon now) during the duration of construction on the Cedar intersection. (Closing both Cedar and Eby would push the nearest intersections to Benton and Cameron, a bit too far in either direction.) Once Cedar re-opens, Eby would be closed and made right-in, right-out.

As for those overhead wires, I imagine they will be replaced or relocated in some way before the catenary gets hung.

I bet it's the Region's take on PRIMOVE. Catenary stops just short of the intersection, pantographs drop, and the LRT coasts through the intersection before raising the pans to connect with the continued catenary on the other side. [stare]

Or hydro will move the cables as they've been doing in other locations along the route.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »