Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One Young (née Mayfair Hotel) | 5 fl | Complete
(05-17-2016, 11:29 PM)tomh009 Wrote: urrent total rate for the downtown core is 0.033, or 0.037 including the BIA levy.  Moving the city's vacant (commercial) land rate would put that at 0.047, or 0.051 including the BIA levy.  That's a difference of roughly $14K per $1M of assessed value.  I don't think anyone would build something (crap or otherwise) for the sake of $14K, but I do believe that land owners would think twice about a plan to let the land sit empty for 10 or 20 years.

That's fair.

Looks like he's actively working on the site: http://www.kitchenerpost.ca/news-story/6...roperties/

"And although the Mayfair site remains unchanged since its demolition, Vrbanovic said to “stay tuned.” The city is currently in the process of acquiring the land as temporary public space until the property owner, Bernie Nimer, is ready to move forward with development

“The city continues to have it as an open file and is in dialogues with the property owner about potential interim uses,” Vrbanovic said.

“Apparently he’s entertaining a variety of concepts ... and indicated he’s still committed to seeing the property be a full addition to the downtown and he’s articulated that as recently as a few weeks ago.”

Nimer was unavailable for comment by press time."
(05-19-2016, 12:59 AM)Lens Wrote: Looks like he's actively working on the site: http://www.kitchenerpost.ca/news-story/6...roperties/

"And although the Mayfair site remains unchanged since its demolition, Vrbanovic said to “stay tuned.” The city is currently in the process of acquiring the land as temporary public space until the property owner, Bernie Nimer, is ready to move forward with development

“The city continues to have it as an open file and is in dialogues with the property owner about potential interim uses,” Vrbanovic said.

“Apparently he’s entertaining a variety of concepts ... and  indicated he’s still committed to seeing the property be a full addition to the downtown and he’s articulated that as recently as a few weeks ago.”

Nimer was unavailable for comment by press time."

Nimer indicated at the time of the Mayfair demolition that he wanted to get on with a new development on the site as soon as he could.  I would assume his first choice would remain a hotel operation of some sort, but whether the market can handle that (will a hotel be an option for the Transit Hub?), I don't know.

Re interim uses, how about turning part of the Weber Chambers wall into a screen and using it to project movies in the evening through the summer and autumn?
There seems to have been no further word on the idea of a temporary parkette at the Mayfair site. At the same time, there has been no effort to grass the lot over. Anybody know what's going on? Maybe they're waiting for summer to be over? Wink
(05-19-2016, 07:46 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Re interim uses, how about turning part of the Weber Chambers wall into a screen and using it to project movies in the evening through the summer and autumn?

Well, well, well...

[Image: FHoh2lB.jpg]

Mind you, I think it might just be for CAFKA.
GtwoK
(05-19-2016, 07:46 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Re interim uses, how about turning part of the Weber Chambers wall into a screen and using it to project movies in the evening through the summer and autumn?

Well, well, well...

[Image: FHoh2lB.jpg]

Mind you, I think it might just be for CAFKA.

Too bad it's not a nightly event.  Meanwhile, there has still been no indication of what's happening re the "greening" of the site.
It's looking like nothing will be done for the time being with the Mayfair site, at least not at public expense. Meanwhile I see that the City/BIA/Market has moved the kiosks off the site and over to the sidewalk in front of the City Hall reflecting pool, to be used during June for a "Wednesday market". Now why the proponents could not have arranged to have the kiosks moved to the front of the Young St side of the Mayfair site rather than cluttering up the front of Carl Zehr square, I could not explain.

(06-06-2016, 06:29 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Now why the proponents could not have arranged to have the kiosks moved to the front of the Young St side of the Mayfair site rather than cluttering up the front of Carl Zehr square, I could not explain.

It's closer to the public square, with the music and the seating, and other vendors that are set up. It was quite busy and lively last Wednesday.
(06-06-2016, 09:48 PM)mpd618 Wrote:
(06-06-2016, 06:29 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Now why the proponents could not have arranged to have the kiosks moved to the front of the Young St side of the Mayfair site rather than cluttering up the front of Carl Zehr square, I could not explain.

It's closer to the public square, with the music and the seating, and other vendors that are set up. It was quite busy and lively last Wednesday.

And would have been equally busy and lively, and have made use of empty space, had they set the kiosks a half block away.  Anyway, once they make me king, I can put stuff where I like!  Smile
(06-06-2016, 10:07 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Anyway, once they make me king, I can put stuff where I like!  Smile

When do we get to cast our votes for you? Smile
(06-06-2016, 10:24 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(06-06-2016, 10:07 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Anyway, once they make me king, I can put stuff where I like!  Smile

When do we get to cast our votes for you? Smile

Votes!?  What do you think this is, a democracy!  No, there will come a time, after I am acclaimed and anointed, when I just wave my magic development wand and Kitchener becomes just the way I judge that it should be.  It will be wonderful!
So it seems that the Mayfair site will get the same treatment that the empty lot next to Kinkaku got, seemingly due to the cost of putting asphalt on the site more than anything. Sad that they couldn't have said "Well we're not sure what we want to do with Carl Zehr square, maybe since many of the elements we're proposing already seem to be part of the Mayfair proposal we could look at how they work there and see if anything glaring pops up. Not that livening up Downtown during ION construction this year and next would be all that bad an idea."
It's kind of inexcusable to me that this is just going to sit here and rot. Sad

(06-07-2016, 08:27 AM)Canard Wrote: It's kind of inexcusable to me that this is just going to sit here and rot. Sad

Pretty well what it was doing before, only with something to look at.

Not a bad formula for enhancing return on investment. Let something sit and rot long enough, and politicians and planners will become more and more accomodating to whatever you propose in its place.
(06-07-2016, 09:15 AM)eizenstriet Wrote:
(06-07-2016, 08:27 AM)Canard Wrote: It's kind of inexcusable to me that this is just going to sit here and rot. Sad

Pretty well what it was doing before, only with something to look at.

Not a bad formula for enhancing return on investment. Let something sit and rot long enough, and politicians and planners will become more and more accomodating to whatever you propose in its place.

I doubt that is the case here, although a building proposal for the site could be years away for all we know.   Mr Nimer has said he's working with the BIA and arts groups, so I expect we'll see something (cheap, but not necessarily crappy) done with the site, if not later this year then by next summer.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »