Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
King Street underpass at the transit hub
(05-03-2016, 09:11 AM)Markster Wrote: Thanks for the pictures!
It saves me the trouble of doing the same thing. Smile

(05-09-2016, 01:13 PM)Markster Wrote: Not being legally prohibited from taking photos doesn't exactly equal having the right to take unobstructed photos.

How so? Can you clarify what you mean?

At any rate: It is illegal (and dangerous) to trespass and take photos inside construction zones. For the record (since with this whole facebook thing going on, I have no idea who's reading this): I never have. I have a long lens and while it may look like some of my photos are from within fenced areas, they never are.

The second comment has nothing to do with the first. The second is about the conflict described in that Facebook thread.

I'm saying that while there are no laws against taking photos in a public space, there are also no laws compelling people to accept having their picture taken. If you're taking photos of someone, and they confront you asking you to stop and are obstructing your view, neither side is [/b] right[/b]. (Though thinking about it, there's grounds in harassment law against the photographer, if they're being a nuisance)

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Oh wow, somehow hadn't even noticed the retaining wall there, despite driving past it every day. Is that to hold back dirt for the elevation change to get the tracks to mount the bridge?
(05-18-2016, 10:35 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Oh wow, somehow hadn't even noticed the retaining wall there, despite driving past it every day. Is that to hold back dirt for the elevation change to get the tracks to mount the bridge?

It's apparently not that much of a retaining wall as it is just a decorative face on some mechanically-stabilized earth. There was a short, informative youtube video doing the rounds about how dirt is used as a construction medium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0olpSN6_TCc
(05-19-2016, 09:33 AM)chutten Wrote: There was a short, informative youtube video doing the rounds about how dirt is used as a construction medium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0olpSN6_TCc

That video is madness and fascinating.
(05-19-2016, 09:33 AM)chutten Wrote: There was a short, informative youtube video doing the rounds about how dirt is used as a construction medium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0olpSN6_TCc

Gave me some ideas for my own problem retaining wall. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

...and improved sand castle building this summer!
[Image: 27119222326_20c7f21058_k.jpg]

North side of the King Street Underpass

[Image: 27119217956_81bdc4caf3_k.jpg]
Did some more exploring today. Went back to the King St underpass (the fence to the tracks at Waterloo St were wide open, couldn't help myself! Sorry Canard!). Coincidentally, someone else also happened to be there looking at the bridge, she's in a few photos.

[Image: PAcVefp.jpg]

Grade being raised to get the tracks up on the bridge

[Image: yPOtb4U.jpg]

From the video chutten shared, here's the layers that help keep the ground stable in addition to the retaining wall.

[Image: T048hdC.jpg]

A peculiar thing had been uncovered - some sort of brick archway? What could this have been used for? Quite cool! Ancient Berlin artifacts. Wish I had some sort of RC car to explore this.

[Image: BAMVMwA.jpg]
[Image: 04UbKsn.jpg]
[Image: BYL3lP2.jpg]
The underpass has been quite well cleared now! Retaining walls in on both sides, and pillars exposed in the middle column.

[Image: 1nPygDK.jpg]

It's hard to tell from photos alone (you need the parallax effect of motion to really get a sense for it), but the scale of this thing is simply massive in person!

[Image: fzi2TiQ.jpg]

On the Northern side of the underpass, another strange brick column has emerged. What could this be the remnants of?

[Image: ucMVZFN.jpg]

This will look so phenomenal when finally dug out!

[Image: RMaDYnQ.jpg]
Could they be pieces of an old sewer system?
This is when I'd truly like to see an RC exploration. Prohibition bootlegger tunnels?

(05-19-2016, 09:58 AM)Markster Wrote:

That video is madness and fascinating.

Relevant:

King & Victoria, May 29, 2016
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »