Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
10 Manitou | Tri-Cities MEC | U/C
Without zoning to enforce anything different, it won't get much better than this in the near future. And personally, I think we need to focus on downtown first, and accept incremental improvements in locations such as this one.

Even if the Block Line stop is only 700m, in another thread people complained vociferously about having to walk less than 50m next to a retaining wall. In this case it's 10x that distance, between heavy traffic and strip malls.

(05-20-2016, 10:08 PM)rangersfan Wrote: Some information on the development taking place at 685 Fairway Rd, and 10 Manitou Rd.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&...8493,d.aXo
I wonder if Proposed "Building K" is going to be a new Wendy's? it seems to be similar size and same postion as Wendy's was.
(05-20-2016, 10:08 PM)rangersfan Wrote: Some information on the development taking place at 685 Fairway Rd, and 10 Manitou Rd.

Yawn.
(05-19-2016, 03:03 PM)KevinL Wrote: So much for the Fairway/Manitou plaza...

[Image: chNcOy4.jpg]

(05-20-2016, 11:02 AM)gomesjustin Wrote: Do we know what's going in at the old Fairway & Manitou plaza?

We do now:

http://blog.mec.ca/2016/05/26/mec-announ...pring-2017
Quote:MEC announces first location in Tri-Cities; open spring 2017

Vancouver, BC (May 26, 2016) Active people in the Tri-Cities will soon get a boost, as Canada’s go-to place for outdoor gear and know-how, MEC, today announced plans to open an 18,000-square-foot store at 10 Manitou Drive in Kitchener. MEC aims to better serve its 30,000 local members, and to grow and inspire the active outdoor community within the Kitchener-Cambridge-Waterloo metropolitan area and surrounding regions.

Centrally located near Fairview Park Mall and a future ION rapid transit station, MEC’s Kitchener store will offer outdoor enthusiasts a comprehensive selection of products for all manner of activities – from camping, hiking, and paddling to cycling, running, yoga and fitness – as well as a host of services and community events.

“The Tri-Cities is one of the fastest growing regions of Ontario, with many millennials among the area’s newcomers,” said MEC CFO Sandy Treagus. These are young, active tech-savvy individuals who we believe are well-disposed to MEC’s unique retail offering.”

“We are keen to welcome new and existing Tri-Cities members to MEC’s ‘tent’,” Treagus added.

The new store will cater to novice and experienced adventurers alike, regardless of their age or gender.

MEC members will also have access to a full-service bike repair and ski-tech shop as well as an equipment rental program for boats, skis and camping gear. A community meeting room will be available for use by local outdoor clubs and environmental organizations.

To further support the outdoor community in Ontario, every year MEC donates a portion of sales to support outdoor recreation and conservation. Through its Community Involvement program, and as a member organization of 1% for the Planet, since 2013, MEC has contributed more than $1.35 million to over 100 separate projects in the province of Ontario.

The new purpose-built store will feature key elements of MEC’s renewed architectural brand, including a distinctive floating canopy to mark the store’s entrance, with wood and natural materials to define the space, display merchandise and create an inviting shopping environment.

Following the opening of its new North York store this fall, MEC Kitchener will be the retail co-op’s seventh store in Ontario. MEC will also relocate its London store to larger premises. Plans are also in the works to relocate MEC’s downtown Toronto flagship store in 2018 to a more accessible Queen Street location.

The store developments are part of an unprecedented period of growth for MEC. The co-op’s sales topped $350 million for the first time in 2015, while more than 225,000 new members joined its membership fold.

Work on the new purpose-built store is underway and will continue for approximately nine months. Then, once product merchandising and fit-up are complete, the store will open sometime next Spring (2017).

10 Manitou Road is owned by First Capital Realty.

That's very good news, but the location surprises me (slightly). No room up in the Boardwalk?

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1348]

Looks like the tenant of the large building at 10 Manitou has been confirmed. MEC! Opening next Spring.

http://blog.mec.ca/2016/05/26/mec-announ...content=en
Adventure Guide is already there, and I don't think it's MEC's style to do aggressive predatory store placement.

Manitou is more central to the region, has decent highway access, and has that "on the LRT" claim... even if it's 800/1000m from stations.

I'll walk 800m to get to a MEC store, once the LRT is running. In the meantime, very happy to see this, and I'll even get in the car to go shopping there while that's necessary.
Discussion was happening in 2 different threads, and this has definitely catalyzed into something deserving its own, so I've moved all the appropriate posts here.
Yes, this location fits their style. I'm also very chuffed at how close it is to me personally, so I'm over the moon.
(05-26-2016, 11:35 AM)Markster Wrote: Adventure Guide is already there, and I don't think it's MEC's style to do aggressive predatory store placement.

Manitou is more central to the region, has decent highway access, and has that "on the LRT" claim... even if it's 800/1000m from stations.

Yes, I forgot about Adventure Guide.  The fantasy location for me would have been Downtown, which could support a destination retailer of that sort, imho, but I can understand why they'd not want to take the risk (or the expense).
This is fantastic! I wonder if Sail opening in Waterloo Region caused them to decide to open here too
Fantastic News!

I hope they integrate it into the Manitou streetscape as much as possible to reduce the big box style.

I really like how MEC designed their Burlington store, particularly how well it's integrated with the sidewalk and streetscape for being in a suburban area.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.3388223,-...312!8i6656

(05-26-2016, 11:50 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(05-26-2016, 11:35 AM)Markster Wrote: Adventure Guide is already there, and I don't think it's MEC's style to do aggressive predatory store placement.

Yes, I forgot about Adventure Guide.  The fantasy location for me would have been Downtown, which could support a destination retailer of that sort, imho, but I can understand why they'd not want to take the risk (or the expense).

I'm often disappointed with MEC for their store placements. In this case MEC will be a semi-hostile 20 minute walk from the LRT station, I think. It is still far better than the Adventure Guide placement. I tried to bike to The Boardwalk once and it was a terrible experience. I was bummed out a few years ago when Adventure Guide announced their move from their central location to the Boardwalk.

I understand why these gear stores like to put their stores in the suburbs: historically probably most purchases originate from the suburbs. But it is sort of against MEC's stated values.

Montreal has their first and second MEC store in the suburbs and a 3rd boutique which sells clothing only in a central location.

Quebec City's MEC store is moving to the suburbs from downtown.

As far as I know, the only central MEC stores are in Toronto and Calgary. I don't know where Vancouver's is.
To be fair it's only 10 minutes to walk to from Fairview Park rather than 20, still not as accessible as it could be.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »