Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph
I hope someday that highway expansion (even if they are following up on 30-40 year old promises like this one) will become the last resort to inter-regional transportation after all other conventional alternatives have been funded. Would a 15-minute GO-bus departure each way cut down on the need for this highway (or perish the thought, a similar EMU/DMU service that ran Guelph to New Hamburg and back)? All I can see here is another major highway that is slicing through farmland as a relic of mid-20th century car culture.

I think that this highway is gonna serve a different market than anything like a GO RER service along existing rail corridors. A lot of the factories in the north end of Guelph have tons of truck traffic and a lot of people commute by car due to the hours of the shifts and lack of transit options. I would like to see more transit options made available of course and hopefully the new highway will help GO buses out. Should the manufacturing sector in Guelph contract I seriously doubt the highway will ever need to be made into a 6 lane road, I was just being facetious in my earlier post.
Here is an update from the MTO:

http://www.570news.com/2014/10/24/mto-re...expansion/

Short version is that it will take (minimum) of "5 construction seasons" to complete. 2020 or later before Clasher can get stuck in traffic on it!
(10-25-2014, 11:19 AM)BuildingScout Wrote:
(10-25-2014, 10:42 AM)panamaniac Wrote: It will be four lanes (ie. two in each direction).  Clasher was being droll.

He was referring to the fact that Outhit came out strongly against four lanes for Ira Needles boulevard because "they were not needed", only to have to reverse himself three years later.

Any similarity to people claiming that the LRT "is not needed" (a group Outhit also belongs to) is purely coincidental.

I feel like this forum should have a thread devoted to Outhit, so we can easily track his "news" articles, er opinion pieces and reminisce when he is proven wrong by history.
(11-02-2014, 03:55 PM)Smore Wrote: I feel like this forum should have a thread devoted to Outhit, so we can easily track his "news" articles, er opinion pieces and reminisce when he is proven wrong by history.
Titled "Outmiss" or "StrikeOut"?
I hope they'll release some renderings of what the huge 4-stack will look like on 85. It's going to look awesome!!
Sorry for being a bit behind the times, but could someone explain what the Shirley Avenue extension actually is? I took a look at the Highway 7 drawings but I can't figure out exactly what is happening in them. Right now Shirley Ave turns into Riverbend drive, but are they talking about taking it down to Victoria St, extending it parallel to Victoria across the highway to hook up with Wellington St, or something completely different?

Shirley Ave and Wellington Ave will become a continuous, straight road.

The little southward bend that Shirley currently does as it becomes Riverbend will be straightened out, and it will link directly to the current terminus of Wellington.

You can see some more detailed drawings here, on page 16:
http://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/region...1-0412.pdf
Makes sense. Thanks!
Great document; thanks! When will construction start?
Looks like the soil testing for the new highway has been going on this week. Drill rigs out between Expressway and Bingemans yesterday and today.
Construction to begin in 2015 with completion in 2020.
(will fix this post later)

Apparently the Victoria st bridge over the 85 will be demolished and widened as part of the project. I am not sure how it relates to the future highway 7.

http://m.570news.com/2015/03/19/victoria...expansion/

(03-20-2015, 06:33 AM)rangersfan Wrote: Apparently the Victoria st bridge over the 85 will be demolished and widened as part of the project. I am not sure how it relates to the future highway 7.

They'll be rearranging the entire system of on and off ramps in the area. It won't look anything like it does now by the time they're done.
Holy cow. I wonder if the plan is to detour people song Frederick? I sure hope not, but I can't imagine where else it would go. I guess I assumed somehow they'd just shift the lanes to one side and then back the other way, but I guess as it's one continuous "slab" (not a separate span for each direction), it had to all come down in one shot. Yikes.

That section of Victoria is veeeeeery busy especially around 16-18:00.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »