Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parkside Urban Towns (née 83 Elmsdale Dr) | U/C
Hiked partway up the hill at McLennan today, and got some shots of the work underway (seems to be entirely soil remediation at the moment).

[Image: 20151008_132349.jpg]

[Image: 20151008_132341.jpg]

Those original concept designs were never going to turn out to look like that, as nice as they look. Whoever designed those was obviously just having fun. Outside of the cores in a region this size, all you'll ever see are generic apartment blocks and your usual big box stores, which is what they ended up going with. It's cheaper and guaranteed to sell quick.
"Laurentian Commons is a mixed-use master planned community with integrated residential and commercial uses. This assembly is on a major arterial road, Ottawa Street South. Laurentian Commons is in a central location that’s ideal for a wide variety of residential and commercial redevelopment opportunities."

More info here:  http://laurentiancommons.com/ 

[Image: apartment-rendering.jpg]
It’s nice to see them highlighting the ability to commute using the Ottawa iXpress to Ion.
I wonder what the timeframe might be like on the two mid-rise apartments? The number of rental units built in Kitchener in recent years, or currently under construction, seems high to me, although I don't know what the annual numbers are like.
If only we had a better way to lay buildings out than to place them in asphalt parking lot oases. Curse the cost of any other form of car storage.
(06-02-2016, 09:42 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: If only we had a better way to lay buildings out than to place them in asphalt parking lot oases. Curse the cost of any other form of car storage.

We have better ways.  Developers choose not to use them.  And cities allow it.

I guess commons means parking lot. Is that going to be a public road down the middle?
(06-02-2016, 03:55 PM)clasher Wrote: I guess commons means parking lot. Is that going to be a public road down the middle?

A private road seems more likely, although accessible to the public.
(06-02-2016, 05:57 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(06-02-2016, 03:55 PM)clasher Wrote: I guess commons means parking lot. Is that going to be a public road down the middle?

A private road seems more likely, although accessible to the public.

"Private road"  ...  also likely required for fire route access with two 100+ rental units there.
(06-03-2016, 11:03 PM)MacBerry Wrote:
(06-02-2016, 05:57 PM)panamaniac Wrote: A private road seems more likely, although accessible to the public.

"Private road"  ...  also likely required for fire route access with two 100+ rental units there.

I think naming something ‘Commons’ should have immediate legal effect.
Small update in the record, the property has been split into three parcels that the developer is trying to sell. One of the parcels has been sold.

http://m.therecord.com/news-story/677440...ities-site
So the plans aren't going forward as we last saw? That's a good thing IMO

I think that the plan seems the same.
Indeed, what's described in the Record article corresponds to the plan/concept, except for the mention that the site of the seniors residence could instead be given over to stacked townhouses.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »