Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
One hopes it will stay put.

(06-14-2016, 07:21 PM)GtwoK Wrote: I believe we may have already known this, but just in case there was any doubt...

[Image: c9gldpe.jpg]

(One Victoria)

I wonder what will happen to the old Scotia location!

Seriously? ew.
(06-14-2016, 07:21 PM)GtwoK Wrote: I wonder what will happen to the old Scotia location!

I sincerely hope the structure goes mainly unmodified, and that those glorious high ceilings get put to good use.
(06-14-2016, 07:25 PM)panamaniac Wrote: One hopes it will stay put.

Definitely.  I can see them not seeing the need for two locations though.  TD felt that way.

But the building is embossed with a "bank of nova scotia" I believe on the front.
(06-15-2016, 08:20 AM)Spokes Wrote:
(06-14-2016, 07:25 PM)panamaniac Wrote: One hopes it will stay put.

Definitely.  I can see them not seeing the need for two locations though.  TD felt that way.

But the building is embossed with a "bank of nova scotia" I believe on the front.

Yes, although I suppose those carved panels could be replaced.  I remember when that carved surface was traced out with red neon lighting.
The idea of Scotiabank possibly drifting down to Victoria reminds me that every time I pass the corner of King and Benton, I think that the corner office space for lease in the Crown Plaza would make a perfect spot for a credit union.
How does the space here compare with the amount they have at King and Ontario?

If a major bank decides to have its only downtown branch at King and Victoria, that is very supportive of BuildingScout’s assertion that the heart of downtown has been drifting west, and continues to.

(06-15-2016, 10:32 AM)MidTowner Wrote: How does the space here compare with the amount they have at King and Ontario?

If a major bank decides to have its only downtown branch at King and Victoria, that is very supportive of BuildingScout’s assertion that the heart of downtown has been drifting west, and continues to

Not to start rumours, but I've often wondered how secure the RBC branch is in it's current location at Duke and Ontario?  I think it has downsized in recent years and it gives the impression of not being fully occupied.
The most iconic corner in the region, and we have a non-public-access school, a dead-to-pedestrians condo, and now a rare-use-even-for-only-its-customers bank. Heaven hope that something can make this a place for, you know, actual people. More and more it's looking like Union, where a facility totally focused on people is not all that useful to them in the immediate exterior area.
Well, the UW Pharmacy building isn't exactly "non-public access". I've gone in there to patronize the coffee shop a few times. The only complaint I have is that the place closes too early!
(06-15-2016, 11:13 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: The most iconic corner in the region, and we have a non-public-access school, a dead-to-pedestrians condo, and now a rare-use-even-for-only-its-customers bank. Heaven hope that something can make this a place for, you know, actual people. More and more it's looking like Union, where a facility totally focused on people is not all that useful to them in the immediate exterior area.

Busy, developing, and improving, but "iconic"?  I can't think of anything iconic about it, although that could change depending on what eventually anchors that corner of the transit hub.  I suppose the School of Pharmancy could be considered "symbolic" in terms of the Downtown renaissance.
Hmmm, I can recall being shoo-ed from there, definitely not externally inviting either way, and with the expected "public space" in front of the terminal (which you can see the non-use of next to Union Station), it's not looking the greatest.
You've been shooed from the School of Pharmacy? As in, by security staff? I go there for coffee from time to time, too, and although it usually seems like I'm the only one around not a student, I don't feel unwelcome.

That having been said, I agree with you that something that invited more foot traffic would have been nicer than a bank branch. But I don't think it's too bad.

I didn't even know that the coffee shop was open to the public!  Not having it's own street access makes it seem like such an afterthought (a bit like Hacienda Café in the KCL, although they seem to be doing OK).
I thought there was supposed to be a coffee shop in 1 Victoria, and isn't there going to be a patio? Or maybe I'm confusing it with another building.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »