Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
But I don't think it's the kind of behaviour we want to encourage. I'd be all for a knee-high "discouragement barrier" here. Last thing we need is clever people thinking they can dart out in front of an LRV and then get smacked by a bus.

(07-25-2016, 01:19 PM)Canard Wrote: But I don't think it's the kind of behaviour we want to encourage. I'd be all for a knee-high "discouragement barrier" here. Last thing we need is clever people thinking they can dart out in front of an LRV and then get smacked by a bus.

Now there we have a fundamental difference of opinion.  I could not label that as "clever".  Wink
(07-24-2016, 10:35 AM)eizenstriet Wrote: That image is definitely one of the televisions we had when I was a kid. From top to bottom: the "rabbit ears" antennae; the Electrohome logo spot; the tiny black-and-white cathode ray screen; the channel-change and fine-tuning knobs; the built-in stand.

Grandlinq's version does it better.

(07-23-2016, 11:05 AM)Canard Wrote: Oh, my god.  Please tell me the reason why someone felt the need to invent their own version of a Tram/LRV icon.  A Google Image Search for "Tram Icon" produces hundreds of icons, all of which are infinitely better than this garbage (well, maybe not these).  This... this is just hideous. Angry

C-C-Canard-kun doesn't like me?!? Baka!

(07-25-2016, 01:25 PM)kps Wrote: [Image: attachment.php?aid=1816]
C-C-Canard-kun doesn't like me?!? Baka!

That is amazing. I need to retweet that.
Walking back from Vincenzo's on Saturday I saw them welding tracks together on Caroline. I'd never seen the welding going on.... I should have tried a couple more photos as this one doesn't quite capture it right. I probably missed other welding photos way back in this thread because I didn't realize that this is how it's done. Pretty cool.

That's the equipment for a thermite weld, for the record.
The intersection drawing at King and Victoria... is it missing some any-turn lanes? Some lanes seem to be straight-right only, such that you do indeed need to accommodate left turns at Francis, because if you are heading east on King, you can't turn left to head north on victoria...

I hadn't noticed it before, but there are no left turns at all at King and Victoria according to that drawing.
(07-25-2016, 12:24 PM)Markster Wrote: Yeah, they clearly aligned things based on making sure they could fit in the King-to-Francis left turn bay, which is frankly unnecessary.

Is that a left bay for turning to Francis or the straight through lane with the right one being a dedicated right turn onto Francis?
(07-25-2016, 01:14 PM)Markster Wrote: Crossing the street mid-block, contrary to popular belief, is not illegal.

While that's technically true, it's required that if you're reasonably close to a crosswalk, you use it. It's sort of the "don't be a dick" thing. I really don't think it's fair to the LRV operators to give them a heart attack by darting out in front of trains because you can't be bothered to walk another 30 m.
A woman in Guelph was hit by a car on Monday morning and has been charged for failing to use a crosswalk.  What a loser!  

http://www.570news.com/2016/07/25/pedest...in-guelph/
Duke/Queen is looking good!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Duke/Queen looks ready to open! <a href="https://t.co/yaOpxEzPiM">pic.twitter.com/yaOpxEzPiM</a></p>&mdash; Mark Jackson-Brown (@Markster3000) <a href="https://twitter.com/Markster3000/status/757708813126565888">July 25, 2016</a></blockquote>

Re: crossing streets
I'm not saying that someone is entitled to jump in front of cars. I'm saying that erecting a fence to stop all crossing of the street, no matter how safe, is overkill. (And a safety hazard of its own kind; crossing the street is a good way to get away from unscrupulous characters)

(07-25-2016, 05:48 PM)Canard Wrote:
(07-25-2016, 01:14 PM)Markster Wrote: Crossing the street mid-block, contrary to popular belief, is not illegal.

While that's technically true, it's required that if you're reasonably close to a crosswalk, you use it. It's sort of the "don't be a dick" thing.  I really don't think it's fair to the LRV operators to give them a heart attack by darting out in front of trains because you can't be bothered to walk another 30 m.

Or you know, 100 meters, if you're in the middle center section of the road (it's almost 200 meters from Victoria to Francis.  It's not "being a dick" to legally cross the road.  But just because it's legal to cross doesn't negate the necessity to yield the right of way.  Crossing in front of a car, is still illegal, and I suppose "being a dick" as well.

As for the incident in Guelph, apparently it is pretty easy to get out of a "crossing outside of crosswalk" ticket, but really the pedestrian should have been charged with some sort of failure to yield, because that's what they did--unless there was obviously a very nearby crosswalk.  I'm not sure why the police don't do this in general.  Probably because the belief that its "jaywalking" and illegal to cross the road outside of a crosswalk pervades much of society.

Of course, the really funny thing is, anyone who thinks about it know's that of course, this isn't true, after all, we cross the road at trails with no legal crosswalk, we cross the road to get to our parked cars in downtown areas, all the time, and nobody bats an eye.

Don't get me started about pedestrian crossing....
Queen/Duke:

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »