Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
I feel badly for the folks in the Duke Food Block. I imagine they have taken one heck of a hit this year. So happy to see Queen re-opening, however!

Whenever I walk/bike by the "Jack Burger Pub" on Duke by the CityCentre project, I can't help but laugh at how ridiculous the construction is for them.  I'll have to take a photo next time I'm through there.  Like they're just completely surrounded by mess.
It's not even that bad today!
There were a few days where their front steps ended at a 6 foot pit. You had to enter directly on to the patio on the side.
Yeah, it was like that on Saturday (or Sunday, I can't remember). There were at least 2 giant pieces of equipment right out front... like everybody just left their toys out and ran in for lunch coz' mom yelled. Big Grin
(07-25-2016, 06:41 PM)panamaniac Wrote: A woman in Guelph was hit by a car on Monday morning and has been charged for failing to use a crosswalk.  What a loser!  

http://www.570news.com/2016/07/25/pedest...in-guelph/

This is the definition of adding insult to injury. The woman made a mistake, was hit by a car, was hopefully uninjured, and you feel the need to call her a “loser”? It’s proper that she be charged (though I didn’t even know “failing to use a crosswalk” was a charge- the error is not making sure there’s not a car coming), but we have to go and mock her as well? Sometimes, people make mistakes (I'm not saying you do; I mean the rest of us do).

King Street near Victoria is hopefully going to be a big mix of different road users who take the stretch nice and slowly to be able to keep an eye out for conflicts. We don’t need fences there to keep people from crossing the street when it’s safe to do so. We should be aspiring to fewer barriers, not more.
(07-25-2016, 09:09 PM)Canard Wrote: Whenever I walk/bike by the "Jack Burger Pub" on Duke by the CityCentre project, I can't help but laugh at how ridiculous the construction is for them.  I'll have to take a photo next time I'm through there.  Like they're just completely surrounded by mess.

I've been there a few times since the street was torn up and they seem to still have a good amount of customers. It really helped when they opened access to the parking lot from Weber via St Mary's. Before that a lot of people were moving the construction fence and getting stuck inside the construction zone.

Jack Burger also has a good sense of humour about the situation as demonstrated in this Instagram post.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHnUNMnh3JK/
(07-24-2016, 10:32 PM)mpd618 Wrote: That sidewalk in front of Kaufman is awful, and it's going to be extremely expensive to fix it in the future. It's mind-boggling that they didn't narrow the rest of the roadway.

Soon enough, with the transit hub and other projects near King/Victoria, foot traffic will increase and it will become dangerous in addition to being a terrible experience.

I think many people get used to the idea that a LRT is nearby. It's common sense to not step out onto the roadway without looking.

(07-26-2016, 11:30 AM)kitborn Wrote:
(07-24-2016, 10:32 PM)mpd618 Wrote: That sidewalk in front of Kaufman is awful, and it's going to be extremely expensive to fix it in the future. It's mind-boggling that they didn't narrow the rest of the roadway.

Soon enough, with the transit hub and other projects near King/Victoria, foot traffic will increase and it will become dangerous in addition to being a terrible experience.

I think many people get used to the idea that a LRT is nearby. It's common sense to not step out onto the roadway without looking.

The sidewalk in front of Kaufman is not ideal but it's not as bad as this stretch of road in the old part of Istanbul (Sultanahmet).  The sidewalk is narrow and it's full of people, especially on the left-hand side.   I walked it often but you have to have your wits about you.  Istanbul has Bombardiers on this track.   Cars and buses are allowed on most of the tracks. 

https://www.google.ca/maps/@41.014236,28...312!8i6656
(07-26-2016, 11:30 AM)kitborn Wrote:

What I'm saying is that when foot traffic increases, it'll get harder not to step out on the roadway due to how awfully small that sidewalk is.
Concrete pour this morning on Charles just south of Ontario, next to Sports Link. Still a gap by the Full Circle lot entrance, though, where the rails still haven't been welded!
(07-26-2016, 12:39 PM)KevinL Wrote: Concrete pour this morning on Charles just south of Ontario, next to Sports Link. Still a gap by the Full Circle lot entrance, though, where the rails still haven't been welded!

Maybe they are gonna do that on the weekend so that lot isn't closed during business hours?
Oh, there's a temporary access with one of those big steel plates (it used to be above the incomplete weld, but was moved onto a completed section a couple weeks ago). For some reason the welding crew hasn't got to it yet.
Who is this charming fellow in the Record?

LRT construction workers get rough ride in Waterloo

Interesting that nobody updated about Queen/Duke today. Swung by 45 minutes ago to find it open:

[Image: r5iXIoq.jpg]

[Image: Vg8fH8q.jpg]

Not really any proper pedestrian crossings yet, but vehicles can get through - which will be key for them (presumably) closing Frederick tomorrow.
I was just about to ask, Kevin! You read my mind. Big Grin That intersection is another one of the little "success stories" that this entire project is littered with.

So... Fun times with Frederick tomorrow?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »