Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
(08-03-2016, 02:33 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(08-02-2016, 08:20 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Vanguard has bought the Schreiter Building at Gaukel and Charles.  They will start renovations at 132 Queen St S (formerly Schlichters) in two weeks time.  Now, will Schreiters Furniture move to Eaton Lofts, I wonder?

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/6792...ough-core/

CBC's report on the sale of the building indicates that Schreiters Furniture will relocate somewhere in the Downtown core, early in 2017.   Best bets for the new location would seem to me to be either the Eaton Lofts, or the Schlicter building that Vanguard will be renovating at 132 Queen S.

Given that the Ontario St side tenants appear to be staying, and the Queen St side has a for-lease sign, I think 132 Queen is not on the cards.  There is only 15,000 sq ft available, too, only about half as much as Schreiters has now.

Eaton Lofts or Budds look to be the best bets as new construction won't happen in time for them.

(08-03-2016, 03:35 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(08-03-2016, 02:33 PM)panamaniac Wrote: CBC's report on the sale of the building indicates that Schreiters Furniture will relocate somewhere in the Downtown core, early in 2017.   Best bets for the new location would seem to me to be either the Eaton Lofts, or the Schlicter building that Vanguard will be renovating at 132 Queen S.

Given that the Ontario St side tenants appear to be staying, and the Queen St side has a for-lease sign, I think 132 Queen is not on the cards.  There is only 15,000 sq ft available, too, only about half as much as Schreiters has now.

Eaton Lofts or Budds look to be the best bets as new construction won't happen in time for them.

I forgot about Budds - I imagine that could work as well, although I guess it depends what kind of tenant(s) the new owner has in mind.
According to their Instagram the Walper is open and at capacity for the Bluesfest weekend.
Isnt it pretty much all but confirmed that it will be the Eaton lofts? They've had a few pieces of Schreiters furniture sitting at the far back for months now.
(08-03-2016, 06:31 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Isnt it pretty much all but confirmed that it will be the Eaton lofts? They've had a few pieces of Schreiters furniture sitting at the far back for months now.

That was the speculation, but first I've heard that they may have put stock sitting in the place.  That would seem pretty conclusive.
(08-03-2016, 06:20 PM)Lens Wrote: According to their Instagram the Walper is open and at capacity for the Bluesfest weekend.

Well ... they told me their renovations were not complete, and that's why they had to cancel my reservations.

Someone is not telling the real story.
The Walper website is not accepting reservations before August 28th.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BIqRi4ahY5x/
(08-03-2016, 08:49 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(08-03-2016, 06:20 PM)Lens Wrote: According to their Instagram the Walper is open and at capacity for the Bluesfest weekend.

Well ... they told me their renovations were not complete, and that's why they had to cancel my reservations.

Both are possible.
They are running at lower supply due to continuing renovations, and so are currently at (the currently reduced) capacity.
Is Schreiters retail space currently on more than one floor? If not I don't see why they could not return to the building as a tenant.
I hope that they are able to remain in the core.
(08-04-2016, 05:53 AM)rangersfan Wrote: Is Schreiters retail space currently on more than one floor? If not I don't see why they could not return to the building as a tenant.
I hope that they are able to remain in the core.

Yes.
(08-03-2016, 09:57 PM)Markster Wrote:
(08-03-2016, 08:49 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Well ... they told me their renovations were not complete, and that's why they had to cancel my reservations.

Both are possible.
They are running at lower supply due to continuing renovations, and so are currently at (the currently reduced) capacity.

They posted a reply in the Walper thread: a temporary (and partial) opening for this weekend, then closed again until sometime in September.
After a year (?) or so, 37-39 King W is now leased. They were cleaning it up today (on the weekend!) but I didn't have a chance to ask who the new tenant is, sorry.

(08-07-2016, 10:09 PM)tomh009 Wrote: After a year (?) or so, 37-39 King W is now leased.  They were cleaning it up today (on the weekend!) but I didn't have a chance to ask who the new tenant is, sorry.

I find that building a bit ugly, I don't like painted brick, and the siding above the entryway is in need of some repair, hopefully it will get cleaned up a bit.

But the balconies up top are spectacular. I always wonder who ends up living in those types of places.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »