Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vogue Residences (née District Condos) | 21 + 14 fl | U/C
So, off to the OMB?

I have no views pro or contra, but I find it odd that being next to a schoolyard is given as a reason to reject the tower.  Having a tower next to an open space is hardly unusual.  I don't get the problem, but it's only one of a number of factors.

If the developers drops that 26th story they'll be very close to within the zoning. They could make it work even without the OMB. If they are within the zoning, they won't need to ask the city for variances, and the neighbourhood complaints become a non-issue. A whole lot easier, quicker and less expensive than appealing to the OMB.

The question is how badly do they want to build this?
"hundreds of residents of the condo would not be integrated well into the community given their isolation inside the tower."

hmm...
That's like a one line summary of every large condo, at least as far as residents who don't wish to engage with the community are concerned. Sort of like those folks who are isolated in their SFH from the larger community......
Sounds like council just didn't want this approved, some of the reasons given like others mentioned have been approved numerous times over the years.

It would be been nice to see a building surpass the 25 story mark, otherwise I am impartial to this project. My problem is with the fact that certain projects are combed through different sets of criteria.
(07-12-2016, 06:13 PM)Drake Wrote: King Street condo plan rejected

Quote:Waterloo Chronicle
By James Jackson  
Council has rejected a controversial 26-storey condo proposed for King Street North near the MacGregor-Albert Heritage Conservation District and MacGregor Senior Public School.
The proposal from NKL Properties Inc. would have amalgamated four properties at 151, 157, 159 and 161 King St. N. for a four-storey podium containing ground floor commercial and parking, and a 22 storey tower containing 236 one-bedroom units and 14 two-bedroom units.
Councillors said it wasn’t the right fit for the neighbourhood and ward Coun. Melissa Durrell put forth the motion to reject the plan.
“One of the things that sticks out for me the most is the compatibility with the neighbourhood,” she said. “I say that because 26 storeys to zero, there’s no transition into the schoolyard.”
The subject lands are currently zoned to permit an apartment building with a maximum height of 75 metres (25 storeys).
The development first came to council last October and saw opposition from several community members, who argued it wouldn’t be a good fit for the area and would dwarf the neighbourhood and school yard.
The developer made several amendments to the proposal since that October meeting, including fewer bedrooms and larger setbacks from the rear and side setbacks, but it wasn’t enough.
“This development is, for me, a real low point,” said Coun. Mark Whaley. “The developer will not give up on 26 storeys even though our zoning bylaw says 25 storeys … there’s been no willingness to be a part of the community, but to build a large, overbearing building.”
The developer had promised to save the façade of the non-registered heritage building at 151 King St. N. and rebuild it in the foyer of the tower, but removed that as part of the revised plan brought forth last week.
The building would have been across the street from a twin-tower condo development adjacent to St. Sophia Ukrainian Orthodox Church, and church spokesperson Daniel Monforte argued against the project.
“It’s going to change the dynamics of the entire neighbourhood,” he said.
Kae Elgie said the hundreds of residents of the condo would not be integrated well into the community given their isolation inside the tower. She urged council to reject it.
“I’m asking you to do this because I’m concerned for the future of the city, particularly the uptown neighbourhoods north of Bridgeport,” she said.
Council was also critical of the developer for putting units in the so-called District Condos project up for pre-sale in January of this year — before the project had even been approved.
Glenn Scheels of GSP Group, speaking on behalf of the developer, said units can’t be sold before the building is approved and that it’s more of a reservation for interested purchasers.
The sales website, www.districtresidenceswaterloo.com, touted the units as “now selling” as well as its proximity to Wilfrid Laurier University and the University of Waterloo, along with the city’s innovation centres. Tentative occupancy was fall 2018 with prices starting at $276,900.

A couple thoughts on this. First, I am not certain how compelling an argument Whaley makes with comments such as"...a large overbearing building...[will] change the dynamics of the neighbourhood...". The site is zoned for 25 stories, yet the council gets their backs up about 26 stories. I am sorry, but I am missing the fundamental difference here. Regarding flow to that part of the city, I fail to see what difference a single story makes.

I am personally not supportive of a huge tower being built either. I find the argument about 1 story ridiculous and a weak argument. 25 stories is wrong.

My other issue here is the presale of units prior to zoning approval. I really hope the condo industry gets regulated by the government sooner than later. Cobbling together some basic plan, advertising a 2018 occupancy date and having nothing more than wishful thinking taking place before starting to collect money is not enough. This is a fraud in the making and this kind of activity should be illegal.

Was the height the only zoning change they asked for?  Could they not chop off a floor to get to 25 and then get approved right away?  I'm not sure exactly what the zoning changes were they were asking for
No, there was a small list of changes. Notably they were asking for parking requirements closer to those offered in Northdale. Usually there are also a few setback variances with these types of applications too.

Waterloo Region has yet to shed its NIMBY attitude it seems.
And unfettered DTDLMBIMW (Damn The Dissent Let Me Build It My Way) is better? The City created clear guidelines for how to build a building in the urban setting. The neighbourhood and the City shouldn't suffer because of pressure tactics by a developer who hopes to maximize profitability.
Thumbs Up 
(08-12-2016, 12:20 PM)nms Wrote: And unfettered DTDLMBIMW (Damn The Dissent Let Me Build It My Way) is better?  The City created clear guidelines for how to build a building in the urban setting.  The neighbourhood and the City shouldn't suffer because of pressure tactics by a developer who hopes to maximize profitability.

WELL PUT!
Failed King Street condo proposal goes bust

9 September 2016
Waterloo Region Record

By Paige Desmond

[/url] [url=mailTo:pdesmond@therecord.com]
WATERLOO — The controversy doesn't end for 151-161 King St. N. in Waterloo.
After a proposed NKL Properties high-density development at the site was shut down by council in a vote earlier this year, the property is being advertised under power of sale.
Power of sale occurs when the mortgage lender sells the property when the developer defaults.
"NKL's current lender decided not to extend financing due to the recent council decision. … NKL is in the midst of arranging new financing for the sold-out project and will make an announcement in the near future," said NKL Properties president Mark Gauthier.
Gauthier said NKL was puzzled that politicians approved an official plan to guide development that focuses on intensification, yet voted down the NKL proposal. The developer is appealing that decision at the Ontario Municipal Board, which decides land-planning disputes.
Unique about the listing for the power of sale is that it says the buyer could build a more dense project than what the city's zoning allows.
Coun. Jeff Henry said he is aware of the ad listed by SVN Rock Advisors Inc. Brokerage.
"Regardless of who owns the building, we expect anyone who's developing the property to meet the expectations of council and the community and that doesn't change with the new owner," he said.
The proposed condo project has been controversial since it was first introduced in October 2015.
Concerns included the scale of the project, the number of amendments to city rules being sought and that the developer pre-sold the project long before it was up for approval.
The power of sale ad says the property is zoned for 266 units and 536 bedrooms with 189 parking spaces, 6,673 square feet of commercial space and two 2,000-square-foot penthouse units.
Under current zoning, according to a staff report, 88 units and up to 440 bedrooms would be permitted.
Council denied NKL's request for exceptions in July. NKL wanted to build a 26-storey project with 250 units and 264 bedrooms.
Staff recommended a height of 25 storeys and fewer units.
Part of council's frustration was the development was pitched to potential investors at an event in Toronto in January and sold out. Council had not given approval to the build.
Gauthier said that's typical practice to raise cash for their projects.
Bids on the project are due Sept. 30.
Developer NKL Properties and SVN representatives did not respond to The Record.

pdesmond@therecord.com
Looks like bids were due Oct 14th: https://www.realtor.ca/Commercial/Multi-...rio-N2J2Y1

I heard that they a hearing scheduled for Feb 23rd.
Does anyone know what's the final decision?
The Chronicle is reporting that it got approved with modifications. A 22 storey tower and a 14 storey tower, 2 storey podium, 140 single bedroom units and 48 two bedroom units.

https://www.waterloochronicle.ca/news-st...eet-condo/

In tangentially related news, the Chronicle has updated their website so the mobile version renders properly in Firefox. Smile
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »