Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
What are the orange supports for? Room to plant trees and let them grow?

Answer to my question was in this week's update:
Work to remove and replace sidewalks and install soil cells for the new trees is underway on the west side of King between William and Willis Way. This work required the sidewalk on the west side of King, from the LCBO to Scotia Bank, to close on September 13 for approximately three weeks. Signage is in place to direct pedestrians through the Waterloo Town Square South Parking Lot with access maintained to Scotia Bank and the LCBO
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

(09-21-2016, 07:41 PM)timc Wrote: The Record is reporting that University Avenue will be closed for "corrosion protection work". First of all, is this the reason why both Seagram and Bearinger had to be closed? Second, what is "corrosion protection work"?

Yes, and it is some sort of treatment to protect the rails from salt corrosion.
(09-21-2016, 12:47 PM)jeremyroman Wrote:
(09-20-2016, 01:38 PM)Markster Wrote: For those not on Twitter, it looks like I've caused a ruckus again.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Say hello to Queen St's new ridiculous pedestrian bottleneck <a href="https://t.co/2WdY9Vnwm8">pic.twitter.com/2WdY9Vnwm8</a></p>&mdash; Mark Jackson-Brown (@Markster3000) <a href="https://twitter.com/Markster3000/status/777613091743866880">September 18, 2016</a></blockquote>

CTV Kitchener's updated story says it's not permanent:
http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/small-sidewa...-1.3080831

Can that post be put onto the Charles part of the intersection instead of right at the corner?
Does anyone have any more updates on how other streetscapes are coming along? Any new wider sidewalks appearing somewhere? I noticed that Victoria from Charles to King, next to School of Pharmacy is much wider, I wonder how it will be treated? It's a very significant piece of pedestrian realm.
(09-21-2016, 09:33 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: What are the orange supports for? Room to plant trees and let them grow?
Are these the first silva cells in Waterloo Region?
Yeah, what are these plant/tree things? I've never heard of them.

urbd - On my next trip out, I'll be mindful to take some photos of the various sidewalk changes.
(09-22-2016, 11:11 AM)Canard Wrote: Yeah, what are these plant/tree things? I've never heard of them.

urbd - On my next trip out, I'll be mindful to take some photos of the various sidewalk changes.

If they are silva cells, they're a new method of planting street trees that allows the roots to spread out, and they often result in better, hardier trees, and faster growth. Also, works as another stormwater drainage method via the passive watering of trees.

These are the trees in front of Corus Quay this year in downtown Toronto. Here is what they were like two years ago.

(09-22-2016, 10:59 AM)DKsan Wrote: Are these the first silva cells in Waterloo Region?

They were used outside of the new courthouse, too.
(09-22-2016, 10:50 AM)urbd Wrote: Does anyone have any more updates on how other streetscapes are coming along? Any new wider sidewalks appearing somewhere? I noticed that Victoria from Charles to King, next to School of Pharmacy is much wider, I wonder how it will be treated? It's a very significant piece of pedestrian realm.

There are wide multi-use (?) sidewalks installed on the west side of Caroline from William to Allen with some of the final top soil already being brought up to grade. Very nice.
My only wish, as a recreational cyclist, is that signage will be added designating these routes as such (Multi-Use Trails). I would happily use them if they were (signposted), but will not ride on them their current state, and instead stay on the road, because I don't want to make anyone angry if there is any confusion as to wether or not they're actually just reaaaaaly wide sidewalks.

They actually continue well past William, past the Willis Way station as well.
(09-22-2016, 12:01 PM)Section ThirtyOne Wrote:
(09-22-2016, 10:50 AM)urbd Wrote: Does anyone have any more updates on how other streetscapes are coming along? Any new wider sidewalks appearing somewhere? I noticed that Victoria from Charles to King, next to School of Pharmacy is much wider, I wonder how it will be treated? It's a very significant piece of pedestrian realm.

There are wide multi-use (?) sidewalks installed on the west side of Caroline from William to Allen with some of the final top soil already being brought up to grade. Very nice.

The east sidewalk of King St between John and William is also gloriously wide.
The north side of Northfield got a new sidewalk. It didn't have one before.
I used to ride Caroline to work daily, on the on-road bike lane. It's much more stressful now that the road is narrower and I'm forced to mix with traffic - not only that, I get stuck for multiple light changes breathing exhaust fumes when crossing William. I'm going to ride that trail whether or not it's officially marked, it's the safest and fastest option. Hopefully the region will get signage up faster than they did for Weber Street.

I noticed the super-wide sidewalks on King St as well... is there any chance this is another "stealth" MUT intended to hook up to the on-road bike lanes starting north of William?
(09-22-2016, 01:37 PM)goggolor Wrote: I noticed the super-wide sidewalks on King St as well... is there any chance this is another "stealth" MUT intended to hook up to the on-road bike lanes starting north of William?

My secret hope is that they've realized that this is how wide sidewalks are supposed to be.

I'm still waiting for the sidewalks on University Ave to be widened to this size.

(09-22-2016, 12:20 PM)Canard Wrote: My only wish, as a recreational cyclist, is that signage will be added designating these routes as such (Multi-Use Trails). I would happily use them if they were (signposted), but will not ride on them their current state, and instead stay on the road, because I don't want to make anyone angry if there is any confusion as to wether or not they're actually just reaaaaaly wide sidewalks.

They actually continue well past William, past the Willis Way station as well.

I did notice a MUT signpost on Caroline today. Just one, but I assume that more will come.
(09-22-2016, 02:01 PM)Markster Wrote: My secret hope is that they've realized that this is how wide sidewalks are supposed to be.

I'm still waiting for the sidewalks on University Ave to be widened to this size.

Do we know how much of King will get this width of sidewalk?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »