Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
M City Condo developement by Rogers
Mississauga will see yet another iconic block of towers in a new project called M City.  The land has been held by the Rogers family for years in the City Centre.  They are going to build 10 new towers.

https://www.thestar.com/business/2016/09...oject.html

[Image: norm-li-agi-160920m-city-birds-eye-c-2jp...86x645.jpg]

That block is very conspicuously empty in central Sauga. With their LRT going in this looks like the right moment to finally develop it.
Some interesting design ... yet I don't get the "wow" from looking at it. Is it because the towers are (almost) all lined up in a row? Or while the towers are all different designs, there is no over-arching theme to them? I'm not sure.
While I'm glad to see this going forward, right in the centre of Mississauga, one must point out that the site is not that large of which two acres will be a park... about 15% bigger than the BarrelYards in Waterloo, to give a reference point.
It's also a significant walk from the LRT line - on Confederation Parkway. Most people living here are going to drive.
But the property borders Confederation Parkway -- so at least some of the towers will be close to LRT.
(09-27-2016, 10:17 PM)tomh009 Wrote: But the property borders Confederation Parkway -- so at least some of the towers will be close to LRT.

The midpoint of the block has about a 800m walk to the Main St station on Burnhamthorpe Rd. The block spans 600m to 1050m distance from the stop.

(09-28-2016, 10:46 AM)Markster Wrote:
(09-27-2016, 10:17 PM)tomh009 Wrote: But the property borders Confederation Parkway -- so at least some of the towers will be close to LRT.

The midpoint of the block has about a 800m walk to the Main St station on Burnhamthorpe Rd.  The block spans 600m to 1050m distance from the stop.

I think this is what happens when you have giant auto-centric blocks, things which don't look too far away are actually pretty far to walk.

Of course biking this distance would be no problem at all if the infrastructure was there.
How they shape the walk and the surroundings of the walk will have a big impact, but 800m is a hard barrier to most folks, and it will make the temptation to make it a hostile/sacrificed for parking/indirect/frustrating walk grow larger.
(09-28-2016, 11:02 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: How they shape the walk and the surroundings of the walk will have a big impact, but 800m is a hard barrier to most folks, and it will make the temptation to make it a hostile/sacrificed for parking/indirect/frustrating walk grow larger.

I work in Mississauga.  A lot of people use transit because they cant afford vehicles on top of the sky high rent nd house costs.  This is an example of living near where you work.  I know a lot of people who livee in the City Centre and work near by.
(09-28-2016, 10:56 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(09-28-2016, 10:46 AM)Markster Wrote: The midpoint of the block has about a 800m walk to the Main St station on Burnhamthorpe Rd.  The block spans 600m to 1050m distance from the stop.

I think this is what happens when you have giant auto-centric blocks, things which don't look too far away are actually pretty far to walk.

Of course biking this distance would be no problem at all if the infrastructure was there.

For anyone in moderately good physical condition (or better), 1050m is only about a 10 minutes' walk, which really shouldn't be that onerous if transit is otherwise convenient.  Surely quicker to just walk that distance than walking to a bike room, unlocking the bike, walking outside, riding to the station, finding a parking spot, locking the bike and walking to the stop itself.
(09-28-2016, 11:24 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(09-28-2016, 10:56 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: I think this is what happens when you have giant auto-centric blocks, things which don't look too far away are actually pretty far to walk.

For anyone in moderately good physical condition (or better), 1050m is only about a 10 minutes' walk, which really shouldn't be that onerous if transit is otherwise convenient.  Surely quicker to just walk that distance than walking to a bike room, unlocking the bike, walking outside, riding to the station, finding a parking spot, locking the bike and walking to the stop itself.

But adding 10 minutes walking on each end of a commute that is already slower by transit and owning a car is looking awfully tempting.

Also, I'll nitpick, walking 1050 meters in 10 minutes is pretty fast.  Now you've made your commute more strenuous too.  And plus, with it being a 10 minute walk, its uncertain enough need to give yourself extra time unless your transit route is super frequent.
(09-28-2016, 11:24 AM)tomh009 Wrote: For anyone in moderately good physical condition (or better), 1050m is only about a 10 minutes' walk, which really shouldn't be that onerous if transit is otherwise convenient.  Surely quicker to just walk that distance than walking to a bike room, unlocking the bike, walking outside, riding to the station, finding a parking spot, locking the bike and walking to the stop itself.

I've thought that, but on the other hand I usually bike to the Sobey's, which is a 5 minute walk from my place.

Yes, it might be a bit brisk.  I'll do it in about 9 minutes, but maybe 11-12 minutes is more reasonable.  Still, that shouldn't be onerous in general, and in Europe or Japan it wouldn't be.  But we talked (in other threads) about 60+ years of car-centric development, and for largely similar reasons many Canadians and Americans feel that walking 1 km is a huge undertaking and not at all realistic.  (Really, walking briskly just 2x 1 km per day would already make a significant contribution to a person's fitness level.)  On the other hand, people are willing to spend an hour sitting in their cars to get to work, and again the same to get back at night.

Full disclosure: I walk more than 10 km per day ...
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »