Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parking in Waterloo Region
(09-08-2016, 11:07 PM)clasher Wrote: Delivery truck companies usually just pay any of the tickets they get, it's just part of their costs of business.

Unfortunately.... THIS.  I remember the drivers would just sit there, accept the tag, and throw it in the pile with the rest....

Coke

On occasion, I have contacted a courier company about a really egregious case- for instance, if a delivery truck pulls up onto a sidewalk (something which I don’t think should be done under nearly any circumstances) when there are obvious alternatives nearby. I’ve written e-mails with the license plate number and other details, asking whether the company’s training says it’s acceptable to block a sidewalk or bike lane, or to park illegally; and pointing out that, when someone sees a truck with ‘FedEx’ (for instance) on the side blocking the path of a mother with a stroller, there’s an association being formed there.

There’s no way to know if anything ever came of any of these complaints, but I have often got a prompt follow-up assuring me that they will be reiterating their policy to their driver.
(09-09-2016, 07:33 AM)MidTowner Wrote: On occasion, I have contacted a courier company about a really egregious case- for instance, if a delivery truck pulls up onto a sidewalk (something which I don’t think should be done under nearly any circumstances) when there are obvious alternatives nearby. I’ve written e-mails with the license plate number and other details, asking whether the company’s training says it’s acceptable to block a sidewalk or bike lane, or to park illegally; and pointing out that, when someone sees a truck with ‘FedEx’ (for instance) on the side blocking the path of a mother with a stroller, there’s an association being formed there.

There’s no way to know if anything ever came of any of these complaints, but I have often got a prompt follow-up assuring me that they will be reiterating their policy to their driver.

It's funny that sidewalk parking is a complete no-no in North America but is more often than not the actual right way to park in many parts of Europe. Sidewalks are bigger though.
(09-09-2016, 08:41 AM)plam Wrote: It's funny that sidewalk parking is a complete no-no in North America but is more often than not the actual right way to park in many parts of Europe. Sidewalks are bigger though.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression the "sidewalk parking" was basically partially up the curb, but not blocking the sidewalk any more than parking on the whatever they call the utility portion buffer between the sidewalk and the road would be here?

Also, here it's a big no-no.  I hope it stays that way.  Apparently it's a big problem in parts of NYC, which is what tolerating even occasional sidewalk parking will beget.
(09-11-2016, 06:46 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(09-09-2016, 08:41 AM)plam Wrote: It's funny that sidewalk parking is a complete no-no in North America but is more often than not the actual right way to park in many parts of Europe. Sidewalks are bigger though.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression the "sidewalk parking" was basically partially up the curb, but not blocking the sidewalk any more than parking on the whatever they call the utility portion buffer between the sidewalk and the road would be here?

Also, here it's a big no-no.  I hope it stays that way.  Apparently it's a big problem in parts of NYC, which is what tolerating even occasional sidewalk parking will beget.

Couldn't quite remember, but there's Google Maps. In Zurich some of the parking spots are actually integrated in the sidewalk, e.g.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@47.3791304,8...!1e1?hl=en

Still doesn't block the sidewalk (that wouldn't be Swiss) but the sidewalks are wide and you can only do it where it's marked. Scooters are fine as well. But Zurich just isn't that crowded. On the other hand I remember that in Hanoi the sidewalks were often quite difficult to negotiate because there was just too many vehicles around; getting around on a bike was easier because there were fewer obstacles and it was easier to get around them.

I would also prefer no sidewalk parking, especially here. And also no bike lane parking as discussed on some other thread. Should be as much of a no-no as sidewalk parking.
(09-12-2016, 08:35 AM)plam Wrote: Couldn't quite remember, but there's Google Maps. In Zurich some of the parking spots are actually integrated in the sidewalk, e.g.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@47.3791304,8...!1e1?hl=en

Still doesn't block the sidewalk (that wouldn't be Swiss) but the sidewalks are wide and you can only do it where it's marked. Scooters are fine as well. But Zurich just isn't that crowded. On the other hand I remember that in Hanoi the sidewalks were often quite difficult to negotiate because there was just too many vehicles around; getting around on a bike was easier because there were fewer obstacles and it was easier to get around them.

I would also prefer no sidewalk parking, especially here. And also no bike lane parking as discussed on some other thread. Should be as much of a no-no as sidewalk parking.

Definitely agreed! There are a couple of places in the city where I see this frequently, on Water St. just west of King, there is often a car parked on the sidewalk beside Guilt. And on Victoria just east of Park, there is often a car parked beside the big warehousy building. Bike lane parking is on a different level of prevalence though, most people don't even think it's "wrong".

What I actually mean though, was this sign:

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprod...9_edit.jpg

Which is apparently also quite a contentious issue in the UK:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34988833

But this is getting a bit off topic, I guess we could bring it to the walking forum. Or just bring it back here Tongue....people also need to not park in bus stops....I was nearly hit by a moron doing exactly that who, when a bus pulled up freaked out and tried to drive away, ....past the open doors where passengers such as myself were disembarking.
(09-11-2016, 06:46 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:

(Former) Meter Maid here! Wink

Parking on a sidewalk is when any portion of a vehicle blocks the actual sidewalk (This includes a vehicle overhanging the sidewalk, even though the wheels are not on the sidewalk proper).  An inch over is technically a violation, however, I always tried to judge, could a wheelchair/stroller safely make it past the vehicle... if no, ticket.

The area from the roadway to the sidewalk is the boulevard.  There is no parking there either... even if its part of "your driveway".  The city owns that land, and its not yours (Trust me, I had this argument MANY times).  This is mainly for safety of others having clear sightlines to the roadway and any oncoming traffic.  Those who park with the wheels up on the curb would get this violation.

Coke

There are exceptions to that boulevard rule. You can park on the boulevard in the winter in ward 5.
(09-14-2016, 07:22 PM)JoeKW Wrote: There are exceptions to that boulevard rule.  You can park on the boulevard in the winter in ward 5.

Things have changed obviously since I worked there... back then there were zero exemptions for boulevard parking.

Coke
Yah, I think it's more of an experiment due to the parking situation in ward 5.
(09-12-2016, 12:03 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: And on Victoria just east of Park, there is often a car parked beside the big warehousy building.

I think you mean 150 Victoria St S:
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/150+Vic...80.5023823

Here the parking is actually between the sidewalk and the building, so it is on the private property, not the city property.  As such, I do believe it is legal.
(09-18-2016, 02:11 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(09-12-2016, 12:03 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: And on Victoria just east of Park, there is often a car parked beside the big warehousy building.

I think you mean 150 Victoria St S:
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/150+Vic...80.5023823

Here the parking is actually between the sidewalk and the building, so it is on the private property, not the city property.  As such, I do believe it is legal.

This was my impression. However, I was giving examples of the type of parking that was mentioned in a previous comment.

I think this is undesirable, because the sidewalk is indistinguishable from the parking, which leads drivers to potentially park on the sidewalk, and worse, leads other drivers to believe that parking in this type of location is in general acceptable.
Yes, I agree on not desirable. It's an unusual configuration ... there could possibly have been more space there originally, before the left-turn lane was added. I don't know why anyone would otherwise place the building 2m away from the sidewalk (I think a setback requirement would have been unlikely).

I went for a run this morning, and I think I may have understated the cars parking on sidewalks issue in the city.

This second one is especially egregious as it is blocking the sidewalk entirely, on very busy Union St. right at the Spur Line trail so everyone who comes down who wants to cross at the lights cannot. Worse, the vehicle is creating a dangerous blind spot for pedestrians trying to cross. I actually called bylaw about this one and on my way back, there was a worker standing nearby with a stop/slow sign, but not really directing traffic. I'm guessing that's what bylaw requested, didn't look terribly helpful though as I didn't even see the guy with the sign till I was past the truck (walking in the road remember), maybe he was helping people from the other side, who knows (and they were also blocking the trail at that point).

But it simply the attitude and entitlement. There were several vehicles parked, and at the time I arrived none were engaged in anything but waiting. Could they have waited on the road, yes, it would have created a disruption and inconvenienced some motorists. Instead they parked on the sidewalk, and endangered the lives of pedestrians.

I realize we have need for construction work, but I sure wish the city would make sure that the work didn't endanger my life while I'm a pedestrian.

These I took a few days before. The motorcycle in the bike parking is rather cheeky.
There's not much else for the cement truck to do. If it parked on the road it would still need to block the sidewalk to run the chute across it. It's not really onerous to cross a quiet side street to go around the truck either.

As for the motorcycle I don't think it's a big deal, there doesn't seem to be anyone using the bicycle parking and most parking lots don't have motorcycle spaces, and even if they do people can knock over motorcycles with their cars if they aren't paying attention.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »