Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours
It doesn't permit anything for a good distance back from King to be anything more than 3-4 storeys. There'll be no Princess or Red condos popping up here, let alone City Center or 1Vic style developments, at least not without the bulk being pushed back from King with further property acquisition. Unless they themselves can assemble the properties at the back, I don't know why a developer would pay them an arm and a leg for the portion of land that is limited to 4 storeys, when they can buy the denser development potential properties at the back and not worry about Huether.

Zone changes can happen but when I said large, I wasn't meaning necessarily in height.  A four storey building with underground parking is of greater density than anything currently at that intersection.  Also as Viewfromthe42 mentioned, other properties along Bridgeport behind there could possibly be acquired.  Regardless, curious to see what happens but hopefully it doesn't remain a surface parking lot for very long.
I am surprised that the core portion of the brewery is not historically designated. Agree with the others here, seeing the original brewery replaced with a parking lot is very disappointing.
(08-19-2016, 11:40 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: I don't know why a developer would pay them an arm and a leg for the portion of land that is limited to 4 storeys, when they can buy the denser development potential properties at the back and not worry about Huether.

And yet 4 storeys is going up on Willis Way. I suspect that there are larger factors at play than the height limit.
Pretty much done now:

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Is is just me or is this busker carnival truck parked a little too close to the tracks:

Also encounter this truck this morning, can't imagine the years of life it took off the new trail:

That reminds me of the Laurel Trail along the Tech Park it seems like there are always vehicles using that stretch, I often found this even before LRT construction but it is significantly more now.

I don't know about before construction, but there certainly are a lot of GrandLinq and related vehicles that use the trail through there. That having been said, they don't leave them there, and are pretty polite when they encounter trail users (at least in my experience). And I don't usually see a lot of alternatives to their using it for brief stretches.

In contract, this truck that Pheidippides took a picture of is choosing to block the entire width of the trail, and could just as easily have avoided it. There's no chance that it would even cross the mind of the driver that maybe the trail isn't designed to carry that weight. Motorists who put their two-tonne vehicles on sidewalks and the like simply couldn't care less that they're greatly hastening the wear of the sidewalk.
(08-24-2016, 09:24 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Pretty much done now:

That's like the poster child for "imagine they did a renovation and nobody noticed".
(08-19-2016, 10:39 AM)Watdot Wrote: To me what will be interesting will be what comes first, the owners selling the lot or charging their customers for parking.

The Pub on King started charging customers for parking earlier this year just across the street. If the Heuther can't sell them beer, at least they can charge them for parking...
(08-26-2016, 01:19 PM)nms Wrote: The Pub on King started charging customers for parking earlier this year just across the street.  If the Heuther can't sell them beer, at least they can charge them for parking...

Yup that's exactly what I was thinking about when I suggested they will start charging. Additionally, a number of vacant lots in that immediate area rent out spaces on a monthly basis.
The project at 72 Erb St E has been approved by council.

http://m.waterloochronicle.ca/news-story...-to-72-erb
There was some sample drilling in the old post office lot/property at King/Bridgeport/Regina the other day.

(08-31-2016, 01:06 PM)rangersfan Wrote: The project at 72 Erb St E has been approved by council.

http://m.waterloochronicle.ca/news-story...-to-72-erb

That took a long time. That property has been vacant for 2 years.
A year ago I spoke against the heritage designation for the Canadian Legion building on Regina. Today I drove past it, and boy is that building singularly ugly. The back is a mess and the front has been destroyed beyond all recognition over the years.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »