Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
No, not as of about 1 hour ago (it was still closed).

Ottawa/Mill is partially open, and Courtland/Ottawa is still fully open.

1/1 - Saturday, October 23, 2016

Another Traction Power Substation has shown up, near Fairway.

On the Hydro Corridor, no fence work has begun on the South side of the alignment. Perhaps a sign that work has been halted until the Traynor Ave. accessibility issue can be resolved?

Platform work seems well underway at Fairway.
What are those small brick houses I see at the fairview stop and conestoga stop?
(10-23-2016, 12:25 PM)jordan2423 Wrote: What are those small brick houses I see at the fairview stop and conestoga stop?

I imagine they are driver facilities. Like a washroom and a small break room.
Correct, they are the driver's facilities!

Block Line is now open (just drove by).  Also, crews are out working on the Cameron Heights crossover today!
(10-22-2016, 04:57 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Block Line wa su pposed to reopen today apparently! Anyone by to see if it did?

I used it last night at around 5PM.
us, on day 1 of Ion:

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/healt...ho-man-tin

Big Grin

(10-18-2016, 01:23 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Overhead wires being removed on Charles!

This is what the wires look like close up:

Why would they locate a utility pole right dead centre on an access ramp? Also dangerous to wheelchair users or those with balance issues as they pass this pole because the walkway create a  slope or tilt that may be dangerous ... certainly will be in winter.

Or are they removing this pole?
(10-23-2016, 09:56 PM)MacBerry Wrote: Why would they locate a utility pole right dead centre on an access ramp? Also dangerous to wheelchair users or those with balance issues as they pass this pole because the walkway create a  slope or tilt that may be dangerous ... certainly will be in winter.

Or are they removing this pole?

It was a temporary pole that is now being (has been?) removed - that's what Tom was pointing out.
(10-21-2016, 03:52 PM)plam Wrote:
(10-21-2016, 03:40 PM)timc Wrote: Could they have had less space and then room for bike lanes? Or is there just not enough space for that?

How would the bike lane do in the curve?

Which curve? I'm talking about King Street, north of William. I know the uptown streetscape plan includes bike lanes north of ... Erb, is it? But there wasn't room for bike lanes south of there because of Ion.
(10-23-2016, 11:56 PM)timc Wrote:
(10-21-2016, 03:52 PM)plam Wrote: How would the bike lane do in the curve?

Which curve? I'm talking about King Street, north of William. I know the uptown streetscape plan includes bike lanes north of ... Erb, is it? But there wasn't room for bike lanes south of there because of Ion.

Not because of Ion, but because of parking.  I'm pretty sure there is enough room for two way traffic, Ion and bike lanes if you remove the parking.
(10-24-2016, 08:41 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: Not because of Ion, but because of parking.  I'm pretty sure there is enough room for two way traffic, Ion and bike lanes if you remove the parking.

Oh, I wasn't aware there was going to be on-street parking there.
@timc At least according to the project agreement, there are planned to be 17 street parking spaces on the west side of King St.

http://rapidtransit.regionofwaterloo.ca/..._Part2.pdf (page 21 and 22).

Its a little more complicated than just "the parking" causing there to be no bike lanes.

The road used to be 6 lanes wide:
4 travel lanes
2 parking lanes

Now, it will be 4 lanes wide:
2 travel lanes
1 parking lane
1 ION lane

They've given 2 lanes worth over to pedestrians, (minus some likely road lane widening) which is much appreciated. There really was no cycling vision to be had with the LRT project, which is the real reason there's no consideration for them. If they were to add cycling lanes, it would certainly have come out of the sidewalk space. The parking was an unfortunate requirement to help keep the BIA on side with LRT.

I was just there yesterday, and you can see where the parking is. These are two shots of the west side.

Looking North

Looking South

And here, have some more shots from yesterday:

East sidewalk looking south

East sidewalk looking north

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »