Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(11-01-2016, 11:17 AM)boatracer Wrote: Looks like they are going to have to reinstall some crossing equipment on Columbia after an accident this morning.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Speed and alcohol a factor in early morning crash on Columbia in Waterloo. Photo by <a href="https://twitter.com/jgmacken">@jgmacken</a> <a href="https://t.co/Wn5qIh6tSA">https://t.co/Wn5qIh6tSA</a> <a href="https://t.co/DIjYbo1bw1">pic.twitter.com/DIjYbo1bw1</a></p>&mdash; 570 NEWS - Kitchener (@570NEWS) <a href="https://twitter.com/570NEWS/status/793470829388587009">November 1, 2016</a></blockquote>

Good grief!

At least there is still a huge stockpile in the lot on Borden. Big Grin

(11-01-2016, 11:23 AM)urbd Wrote:
(10-31-2016, 11:09 PM)dunkalunk Wrote: I'd actually thought that King St to University Ave was a natural extension for the ION. In any case, nothing has yet been decided, and we have yet to determine Stage 2's preferred routing through Cambridge.

I 100% agree with you, but what would be better... turning west on University, or continuing south on King St and connecting at Waterloo Town Square with Phase 1?

Running south of University Ave on King St would require the trains run in mixed traffic, which could mean delays caused by operating in mixed traffic. However, this section of King is likely to have high enough ridership to warrant a high-capacity service and mixed-traffic operation could be considered worthwhile.

West of the University of Waterloo, rapid transit corridors become less obvious. Columbia, Erb, and University are all candidates.
(11-01-2016, 12:52 PM)dunkalunk Wrote:
(11-01-2016, 11:23 AM)urbd Wrote: I 100% agree with you, but what would be better... turning west on University, or continuing south on King St and connecting at Waterloo Town Square with Phase 1?

Running south of University Ave on King St would require the trains run in mixed traffic, which could mean delays caused by operating in mixed traffic. However, this section of King is likely to have high enough ridership to warrant a high-capacity service and mixed-traffic operation could be considered worthwhile.

West of the University of Waterloo, rapid transit corridors become less obvious. Columbia, Erb, and University are all candidates.

Why would it *have* to run mixed traffic, there are a multitude of other options, you could split and run one track down Regina, or both down Regina, you could close King to Vehicular traffic and run trains instead, or you could even narrow the sidewalks, take out the bike lanes and parking and squeeze them with car traffic.

These are all physically possible, but probably not politically possible today. But considering how far this in the future, who knows what the city will look like when a King St. phase is being considered, I don't think we should confine ourselves to the politics of today when imagining tomorrow.
"I don't think we should confine ourselves to the politics of today when imagining tomorrow."

That's good! I like that! I might get that tattooed on my ... person. Smile

Sincerely, well put.
(11-01-2016, 01:42 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(11-01-2016, 12:52 PM)dunkalunk Wrote: Running south of University Ave on King St would require the trains run in mixed traffic, which could mean delays caused by operating in mixed traffic. However, this section of King is likely to have high enough ridership to warrant a high-capacity service and mixed-traffic operation could be considered worthwhile.

Why would it *have* to run mixed traffic, there are a multitude of other options, you could split and run one track down Regina, or both down Regina, you could close King to Vehicular traffic and run trains instead, or you could even narrow the sidewalks, take out the bike lanes and parking and squeeze them with car traffic.

These are all physically possible, but probably not politically possible today.  But considering how far this in the future, who knows what the city will look like when a King St. phase is being considered, I don't think we should confine ourselves to the politics of today when imagining tomorrow.

King St Streetscape improvements between University and the ION tracks are set to begin construction after ION construction is complete. This will reduce King to one lane in each direction with centre-left turning provisions, wider sidewalks, and bike lanes. Political realities can change, but I can't see wide sidewalks and bike lanes being sacrificed for a dedicated right-of-way.

http://www.waterloo.ca/en/living/uptowns...vement.asp
So... hrm.

Two separate crews are currently at R&T Park and UoW. They've un clipped both of the freight gauntlet rails, painted them black, and are re-clipping them down.

Anyone know why?
Some obscure Transport Canada requirement?

All I could figure was maybe insulation for train detection or something?
Going by tonight there was a large hole dug up at the Northfield and the Expressway southbound ramp, and Northfield was down to one eastbound lane in that section. This wasn't the case last week.
Probably related to work Waterloo North Hydro is doing in those parts that will necessitate a short closure of the ramps again. It was in the update last week.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Construction at Duke and Frederick means the Remembrance Day service has been moved away from the cenotaph (it will be held at City Hall instead).
1/4 - Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Looking down Frederick, from Duke.

Curbs going in at Duke/Frederick!

Trackwork along Duke.

2/4 - Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Trackwork on Duke, continued.

Rolling/Paving on Duke.

A flurry of activity at the King St. Grade Separation.

3/4 - Tuesday, November 1, 2016

The track curve from Ottawa, onto Charles, is now completely poured and is curing.

Ottawa/Courtland is getting started.

Looking back up Ottawa, from Courtland.

UpTown.
4/4 - Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Foundation slab work for the future Waterloo Town Centre station. That heater is looking a little too eager.

Here's some of the rail work I was mentioning in a previous post; the freight-carrying gauntlet track rails had been unclipped, painted black (?!) and are being re-clipped.  Also note the installation of the Anchor Wall tiles here; only the 2nd station in the system to receive them so far.

OMSF.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »