Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
(11-03-2016, 10:24 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(11-03-2016, 08:32 AM)Section ThirtyOne Wrote: Most of those lots are owned by Manulife for employee parking; I can't think they'll be going anywhere anytime soon.

"Most"?  I thought they only owned the parking garage and the lot between Joseph, Charles, Water, and Francis.  I don't think they own any of the others along Charles and King.  There is a lot of surface parking in the area, although not all of the rest are owned by the city either.

Manulife owns Joseph, Charles, Water, Francis and also the lot framed by Charles, Francis, Halls Lane, U-Haul. 

Perimeter (of Breithaupt Block, Walper, Eaton Loft ground floor fame) owns Charles, Water, Francis, Halls Lane (including the recently renovated building at 22 Water) and also all the buildings from the corner of Water to where the city is looking to sell its parking lot (Unity Baking). The only thing they do not own in that block, in fact is the TD building and that lot.

Marina's Bar, on King St E across from the Kitchener Market, was gutted by fire last night. Fortunately, nobody was hurt.
(11-03-2016, 10:57 AM)dubya Wrote: ...

Perimeter (of Breithaupt Block, Walper, Eaton Loft ground floor fame) owns Charles, Water, Francis, Halls Lane (including the recently renovated building at 22 Water) and also all the buildings from the corner of Water to where the city is looking to sell its parking lot (Unity Baking). The only thing they do not own in that block, in fact is the TD building and that lot.

That lot (Charles, Water, Francis, Halls) looks like a standard city lot with the standard municipal parking signage, I didn't realize it wasn't owned by the city.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.4509736,-...312!8i6656
The city owns the lot bordered by Charles, Francis, Hall's lane and Water.

The lots between TD and Rana/Unity, one is city owned the other is part of the TD building.

www.kitchener.ca/en/businessinkitchener/resources/parking_map.pdf

Other than the facebook post is there any evidence that the city is selling the land. Usually that had to go to council as a disposition of surplus land.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
KevinL posted about the fire at Marina's on the previous page. The article he linked states that one person is unaccounted for.
(11-03-2016, 11:36 AM)Elmira Guy Wrote: KevinL posted about the fire at Marina's on the previous page. The article he linked states that one person is unaccounted for.

I gather they located him.
Hopefully

Confirmed on twitter, the missing person who was a tenant has now been safely accounted for.
Good. Smile
Not sure if this is the most appropriate place for this but nevertheless.

Construction starts on new radiation unit at cancer centre.

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/mobile/const...-1.3146774
(10-22-2016, 11:14 AM)Lens Wrote: Kieswtter demolition has fencing up around the St. Clair appliances building.

I drove by there this morning and workers were painting the checkerboard.   Huh
The city is going to try and sell the old Electrohome building in a tax sale. I wish them luck because the article makes a sale sound difficult.

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/6954...n-january/
If I recall correctly, the city has been close to putting it up for sale a few times in the past. I'm not sure why that didn't happen.

The building is a real problem for the neighbourhood. It would be nice to have it addressed. Maybe now is the time, given Google and other developments around the corner, but the building is not in great shape, and a million bucks is a lot to pay for less than an acre of land in a less than prime (I don't mean that in any negative way: I live in the 'hood) area, particularly when there's a building that needs to come down and unknown remediation work.

Fingers crossed. I'm not optimistic for any movement soon.

Edit: the tax sale page also says that the building is on the Heritage Inventory. Yikes.

Building is on Heritage, but nearly falling apart. Nothing more than 3 storeys can be built and I'd be surprised if the neighbourhood accepted anything with even four units of parking. It'll be something to watch.
I will be surprised if the tax sale is successful.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »