Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Under the original plan, vehicle testing was supposed to be taking place right now. The Spur Line is basically done.

Correct, there are a few loose ends to tie up, but it's more or less complete. They're commissioning the signal boxes right now actually.
I remember in the functional design plans, the fire staircase from the pedestrian overpass at Market Square was supposed to be removed, or relocated. But in all the recent photos, it's still very much there, and curbs already poured. Did they manage to work around it?
It is truly a shame that the work didn't oblige them to remove that pedestrian overpass. It is SO unsightly and serves so little purpose (although more than the unused one between MS and the hotel).
They should have built a staircase down to the ION platform!
Yeah, I agree - didn't realize it was for fire but why on earth would you want to remove usable pedestrian infra?

Red tape is probably why it can't be used as an "up".
(11-15-2016, 12:20 PM)GtwoK Wrote: I remember in the functional design plans, the fire staircase from the pedestrian overpass at Market Square was supposed to be removed, or relocated. But in all the recent photos, it's still very much there, and curbs already poured. Did they manage to work around it?

The staircase is likely to be moved as it now actualy sits above a bit of the roadway - the new curb is too close in. I presume they wil remove the current one before they finish the roadway.

How can they remove a fire staircase, but keep the overpass?

In other words: If it wasn't required for code, why was it built?
(11-15-2016, 04:02 PM)Canard Wrote: How can they remove a fire staircase, but keep the overpass?

In other words: If it wasn't required for code, why was it built?

I'm sure it will have to be rebuilt, but in a way that it does not protrude over the roadway. That is entirely possible given the area's geometry; it's just that the current design won't work.
Ahh. I don't have a clear mental picture of the issue; I wasn't looking at it last time I was by. Smile
(11-15-2016, 03:42 PM)Canard Wrote: Yeah, I agree - didn't realize it was for fire but why on earth would you want to remove usable pedestrian infra?

I don’t understand why so many people are so down on pedestrian overpasses and other fully weather- and traffic-protected pedestrian facilities. It seems that many people believe that the biggest problem with enclosed malls is the fact that they have a roof. Maybe in California, but here where I live I think we should be building roofs all over the place.
Rebar is positioned under the curve in Uptown.
(11-14-2016, 08:30 PM)MidTowner Wrote: Ugh. Spring 2017. So June. Or we'll see.

It would be nice for the 200 to get back on King when Wellington and King reopens. We'll see about that, too. I personally think the 200 should be made to do the Ion stops at some point, to start to build ridership in the neighbourhoods hosting the future stations. I doubt that will happen, though.

I'm a bit gutted to learn we on the wrong side of the tracks are going to be cut off from downtown for a number of more months. Maybe people on foot will be able to get through sooner.
I feel your pain. It is almost gonna be 2 years that I have felt cut off from downtown.

The good part is that once this is done, you'll be better connected than ever before. Big Grin
(11-15-2016, 05:20 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(11-15-2016, 03:42 PM)Canard Wrote: Yeah, I agree - didn't realize it was for fire but why on earth would you want to remove usable pedestrian infra?

I don’t understand why so many people are so down on pedestrian overpasses and other fully weather- and traffic-protected pedestrian facilities. It seems that many people believe that the biggest problem with enclosed malls is the fact that they have a roof. Maybe in California, but here where I live I think we should be building roofs all over the place.

I think it has to do with diverting pedestrian traffic away from the streets where there are shops and such.  I'm not sure how big an issue they are here, they're hardly used, I don't find them all that oppressive.  I think it's a bigger problem the blank side of the mall.

I think enclosed malls (outside of downtown) could make fantastic public places (as they were in fact intended) if that was a priority for them, and if they were accessible without fighting traffic.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »