Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vacant properties
(11-04-2016, 08:43 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I believe that GtwoK was referring to the lot across the street, between Kwartlab and the Rito Mr. Transmission.  I've often wondered the same thing.  The land you are referring to changed hands a few years ago and, at least in theory, is available for development.

So was I. Canadian Tire used to be there years ago (20+). We are talking about the property between that small apartment on Stirling and Tim Hortons. (across from Rito's).

(11-04-2016, 09:44 AM)BuildingScout Wrote: That entire neighbourhood looks like it was bombed out not long ago... and it's so close to DTK. It's a blight in the urban patchwork and I cannot wait until it is developed. It's equivalent in UTW was the empty Seagram lands, Barrel Yards and 144 Industrial lands a decade and a half ago.

It's not really "the entire neighbourhood" in my opinion.  Charles, between Stirling and Borden has empty land but is not terrible.  Between Borden and Ottawa is worse, with some boarded-up buildings.  And, yes, same stretch on King is run down as well.

But if you move a block away from either Charles or King, you will see that the rest of the neighbourhood looks much better.
592 Belmont Ave W, the former Nu-Look car wash site, has had some earth moved around on the site with some heavy equipment. It looks like at least one berm has been built toward the back of the site near the trail.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
A vacant lot at the corner of Lexington and Bridge may see two houses constructed after the initial stacked townhouse proposal was not approved.

http://m.waterloochronicle.ca/news-story...politician
Wasn't there also a proposal to build three houses on the site? It seems like residents of the area would prefer it just stay an empty lot.
(11-24-2016, 11:23 AM)timc Wrote: Wasn't there also a proposal to build three houses on the site? It seems like residents of the area would prefer it just stay an empty lot.

I think the original proposal was 8 stacked townhouses. The area is full of large estate style homes and the residents didn't think development should be any different than what is there already.
Yes, the original proposal was for townhouses. The article does mention the other previous plan for three houses, which was also turned down by council (staff report), and that is when things went to the OMB.

Anyway, I'm just glad that something is going to be done with this parcel. It has been vacant for over thirty years. I can understand area residents' concern about traffic at that corner, but really, quibbling over three houses vs. two seems a bit much.

Does anyone know what is going to happen with the now-vacant lot on the southwest corner of that intersection, where the WNHydro structure was?

(11-24-2016, 04:56 PM)timc Wrote: Does anyone know what is going to happen with the now-vacant lot on the southwest corner of that intersection, where the WNHydro structure was?

I think they should put in stacked townhouses! Big Grin
(11-17-2016, 09:31 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: 592 Belmont Ave W, the former Nu-Look car wash site, has had some earth moved around on the site with some heavy equipment. It looks like at least one berm has been built toward the back of the site near the trail.

There is a for lease sign on this lot now that has a render of a non-descript, single story, stucco faced, medical office. The firm is built by engineers.

Was hoping for something much more dense and visually appealing.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
That part of Belmont needs to be tamed. It's so close to the Village, if it was given the same treatment as the street has been further north (west), lots like this would justify more density. The street is too hostile to people on foot right now.
I agree it needs to be better.

But my opinion ... the street isn't actively hostile, it's just an uninteresting suburban four-lane street. Decent grassy boulevard strips separate the sidewalks from the street. I have walked it many a time and I think it works OK for that.

But extending the Belmont Village concept is an opportunity we shouldn't miss.
This empty lot and the white house next to it on King St East recently both sold( I think CMA Realty was the agency with both properties) .

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.4260461,-...a=!3m1!1e3
(11-04-2016, 12:23 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(11-04-2016, 08:43 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I believe that GtwoK was referring to the lot across the street, between Kwartlab and the Rito Mr. Transmission.  I've often wondered the same thing.  The land you are referring to changed hands a few years ago and, at least in theory, is available for development.

So was I. Canadian Tire used to be there years ago (20+).  We are talking about the property between that small apartment on Stirling and Tim Hortons. (across from Rito's).

This empty land used to be Copps Buildall, a lumber store.

The long vacant former esso Property at Belmont and Union now has a For Sale sign. Also The Former Petro Canada Property at/beside the Freshco Plaza on Westmount is fenced off with a porta potty, it looks like something might be built there?
(05-08-2019, 11:40 PM)TMKM94 Wrote: The long vacant former esso Property at Belmont and Union now has a For Sale sign. Also The Former Petro Canada Property at/beside the Freshco Plaza on Westmount is fenced off with a porta potty, it looks like something might be built there?

At the freshco plaza they dug up the ground to check contamination as is normal for a gas station after its demoliton. Then they filled it in with gravel then the fences have just sat there.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »