Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Water and Sewer
"A crossing of the LRT tracks will be necessary at the King Street S. and John Street
intersection. This crossing will use non-destructive construction methods and will have
no impact on the recently constructed tracks."

Yeah will definitely be interesting to see how they do this. Might be easier said than done Smile

It's too bad they couldn't have coordinated with LRT construction to lay the pipes under the King/John intersection even if they weren't ready to do the rest of it. I also wonder how much disruption this will cause to the Iron Horse Trail, will they have to dig it all up from Glasgow to John?

(09-11-2016, 10:12 AM)bpoland Wrote: I also wonder how much disruption this will cause to the Iron Horse Trail, will they have to dig it all up from Glasgow to John?

As far as has been made clear "complete closure".  Of course they apparently suggest this could be done in sync with rebuilding the trail, although, I imagine it would take many more months to do pipes than to just build the trail.

I intend to ask council to provide for a trail detour however, Belmont is nearby, and highly overbuilt, there is no reason not to use pylons to mark off one lane to use for the trail for the duration of the construction.
(09-11-2016, 11:05 AM)BrianT Wrote:
(09-11-2016, 10:12 AM)bpoland Wrote: "A crossing of the LRT tracks will be necessary at the King Street S. and John Street
intersection. This crossing will use non-destructive construction methods and will have
no impact on the recently constructed tracks."

Yeah will definitely be interesting to see how they do this.  Might be easier said than done Smile

It's too bad they couldn't have coordinated with LRT construction to lay the pipes under the King/John intersection even if they weren't ready to do the rest of it.  I also wonder how much disruption this will cause to the Iron Horse Trail, will they have to dig it all up from Glasgow to John?

They have machinery that can drill the pipes under the King/John intersection without disturbing the street or the LRT tracks.

This was done just a few years ago to run a sewer pipe in Uptown, I believe under Dupont St. from near the Perimeter Institute to Peppler St. It was a small version of the tunnel boring machines used for subway tunnels. In that case the street itself still had to be dug up but the disruption was less than if the general excavation had had to be taken down to the level of the sewer pipe. There are also techniques that can be used like placing a pipe in a hole beside the road, then ramming it through underneath the road. I’ve even heard of this being done with an entire tunnel — essentially construct the tunnel down from its final location then “just” shove it into place.
Further information on how consolidation of the William St and Strange St facilities.

Http://m.therecord.com/news-story/686047...-preserved
The William Street property would be a great place for another brew pub or restaurant. Fresh water on tap!

Speaking of water, I can imagine that having an active wellhead on the property could restrict any new uses for the property.
Proposed waste-water bridge to cross the Grand:
http://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/region...df#page=87
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
It would be nice if a pedestrian bridge could be incorporated into the structure. It's relatively close to the existing one near the college, but it would still be a nice addition.

(10-01-2016, 09:39 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: Proposed waste-water bridge to cross the Grand:
http://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/region...df#page=87

Interesting. I thought a trunk sanitary sewer crossing of the Grand River was "roughed in" for the future development of the East Side Lands when the Fairway Road bridge was built a few years ago.
Waterloo Region is proposing a renewable sources (solar and biogas) for the Mill Park St facility in Kitchener.

http://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/region...r-wwtp.pdf
East Side Lands Wastewater Servicing Master Plan
East Side Lands
Wastewater Servicing Class EA
Public Consultation Centre
November 8, 2016
5:00pm ~ 7:30pm
Deer Ridge Golf Club
200 Deer Ridge Drive, Kitchener

Additional Consultation for William and Strange Street Water Supply Class Environmental Assessment
 Public Consultation Centre #4 
November 22, 2016
99 Regina Street
Room 508
5:00 to 7:00 p.m
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(12-04-2015, 05:50 PM)timc Wrote:
(12-04-2015, 04:50 PM)tomh009 Wrote: In Woolwich (where we resided until recently), the water/sewer rates are actually  heavily regressive, with a single price per cubic metre, but with a heavy reserve charge.  The water rates are about 15% below Kitchener, but the reserve charges are substantial (a total of $26/month).  We are not low income, but we are low consumption (no swimming pool, no lawn watering etc) and frequently the reserve charges were about the same as the consumption charges, meaning the cost per cubic metre is far higher at low consumption levels.

It looks like Kitchener has no reserve or service charge?  (I haven't seen our first bill yet, and can't remember from the last time we lived in Kitchener.)

That kind of pricing makes sense to me. A lot of the infrastructure costs are going to be the same regardless of consumption levels. If the billing is based purely on consumption, then you run into the situation that we have where people feel that they are being punished for conservation. More conservation means less water is used, reducing revenue, which means that rates need to go up to pay for fixed costs.

From this year's water report:

Section 2.5.2

Quote:As the Region's Water Efficiency Master Plan (WEMP) is implemented and other factors remain the same, future maximum and average day per capita water are expected to decline from current levels, thereby resulting in a decline in future demand projections. Mandatory water efficient fixture installation in new residential development required as of 1996 by the Ontario Building Code also reduced the water needs of future developments.

Page 11: 
Quote:Consumption in 2015 was below the 5-year average.

The fun is shown on the INTEGRATED URBAN SYSTEM (IUS) ANNUAL FLOWS AND COMMITMENTS figure (page 53/73 of the PDF), attached. The actual measured average flows have remained pretty steady over the last 15 years ... and you can't tell me our population hasn't grown Smile

http://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/aboutT...Report.pdf
Thanks for the link! It's easy to see why consumption charges alone is not the best way to fund the system- the costs don't have a high correlation with the actual flows.

I would say we need a fixed component to the charges, and that the only way it would be fair would be to base it on lot size or frontage, to reflect the added infrastructure needed by each user at lower densities. I'm not sure if this would fly politically here.
The rates for road construction and utilities have really skyrocketed over the past 15 years, these proposed increases of 9% year over year until 2032 is alarming.
http://m.therecord.com/news-story/698561...until-2032

Well, they're saying that 9.3% is needed for this year, but that within three years that can be reduced slightly. Above-inflationary increases for the next 16 years doesn't like fun, but there may not be alternatives.
(11-25-2016, 09:00 AM)MidTowner Wrote: Well, they're saying that 9.3% is needed for this year, but that within three years that can be reduced slightly. Above-inflationary increases for the next 16 years doesn't like fun, but there may not be alternatives.

Suburb infrastructure will be the death of us yet.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »