Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
2/2 - Sunday, November 27

Here's a close-up of one of the "internal" catenary tensioners.  This shows pretty well how the anti-dropping mechanism works.  When the line is in tension, the entire force-amplifying pulley is sticking out to the right, here.  The tension on the line pulls it horizontally, the tension from the counterweight is pulling down.  If the line breaks, the counterweight pulls the whole thing down - and the outer diameter (with all the teeth) drop into that "V" shaped wedge at the bottom, preventing it from rotating any further (and free falling).

Golden hour comes pretty early now.  Northfield.

Northfield.

Fairway Road Hydro Corridor.

Embedded track going in on Ottawa.

I noticed when I drive south on King from Northfield there is an LRT curb that stands up pretty high. At first it was invisible, then the construction crews marked it with a pylon. I now see the pylon has disappeared. I can see someone unaware of this curb making a left from Northfield (WB) onto King (SB) and hitting it.

I can also see the snow plow hitting it. It is white on white.

I get we don't want people driving on the LRT lane, but do we need a curb for this? The current set up at King looks like it will cause more problems that it will solve. Sorry, no picture Sad

Love the setup for the photo taking with kids in the safety gear. The kids I saw, thought it was get to get dress up and have their photo taken in it. Even some of the parents enjoy doing it as well.

I was told they are supposed to build a ramp on the north side of Northfield to off load the cars.

The overhead is setup for high loads in the rail corridor and this includes an LRV on a flat. When the new cars start to show up, it will be on an 89' flat with a 60' flat at each end, since the LRV car over hanging the couplers and protection of the car.

If the timetable to open Hayward in early Dec is to be met, they need a major push to get the tracks in place and pour ASP. The road is pave with sidewalk being pour. It was supposed to open months ago.

I see the fence in the ROW near the Fairview Mall has been cut in a number of location like I said would happen so people can do some shopping or getting something to eat. Need a few crossing in this area like the University area.

As for the rubber on the rail in the yard, its for protection, since the rail will be encase in asphalt. The yard can be expanded at a future date when more cars are added to the system.

Some videos I shot of the open house.
https://youtu.be/86dhif-PdD0
https://youtu.be/xmT4GWSLJP0
https://youtu.be/ZO2pNzNixyk

Will be sometime before I get the 200 photos I shot on Nov 27 up on my Flickr account and the thread for this project. You can find the thread at
https://www.flickr.com/photos/drum118/al...6082534850
(11-19-2016, 09:53 PM)timio Wrote: We're getting closer to the point where we can ride a pallet train from end to end without worrying about those pesky LRV's getting in the way.

: stare :

I've thought riding one of those every time I drive by the stack of wooden pallets sitting on the tracks...

Coke
I'd like to know which businesses so I would know which ones not to patronise in the future.

Businesses affected by LRT construction turning to legal arena

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/mobile/busin...-1.3180723
(11-28-2016, 07:39 PM)Elmira Guy Wrote: I'd like to know which businesses so I would know which ones not to patronise in the future.

Really?

Things might pick up again in a couple years (and then some) but reality is, in the short term there are probably a lot of businesses that can't/couldn't swing it but are still paying the same rent/taxes/operating costs as before (I wouldn't want to be operating a business along that route in the last year or so).   If the legal option is available to them it doesn't surprise me that people are looking into that option.  Not from an 'anti-LRT' point of view, but from a 'hey-trying-to-run-a-business-here' perspective.
(11-28-2016, 09:11 PM)embe Wrote: Really?

Things might pick up again in a couple years (and then some) but reality is, in the short term there are probably a lot of businesses that can't/couldn't swing it but are still paying the same rent/taxes/operating costs as before (I wouldn't want to be operating a business along that route in the last year or so).   If the legal option is available to them it doesn't surprise me that people are looking into that option.  Not from an 'anti-LRT' point of view, but from a 'hey-trying-to-run-a-business-here' perspective.

Construction of any kind is a realty, and yes, I wouldn't patronize a business which sues the region I live in, you know, my government, for maintaining or expanding infrastructure as needed.

I'm sorry for their lost business but this isn't the answer.

(11-28-2016, 10:04 PM)BrianT Wrote: It's mostly lawyers trolling for business. They do the same thing for roundabouts and road widening projects in the region. The legal process means money for themselves.

I can believe this, but I don't know if it's true. If so though, I mean, scummy lawyers, not exactly rare I think.
It doesn't surprise me either that some businesses are exploring legal action, and I'm even less surprised that a certain phylum of lawyer is scuttling to represent them.

But as danbrotherston said, I'm not interested in supporting a business who is seeking to take money from the local government/taxpayers simply because said government is doing their job by improving and expanding necessary infrastructure.

I sympathise with the plight of businesses who have been sincerely impacted by all the construction (not those who claim that the LRT is the cause of their demise even when it clearly is not), but that does not mean they warrant monies for said troubles. Sure strikes me as a worrisome precedent.
(11-28-2016, 11:37 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(11-28-2016, 09:11 PM)embe Wrote: Really?

Construction of any kind is a realty, and yes, I wouldn't patronize a business which sues the region I live in, you know, my government, for maintaining or expanding infrastructure as needed.

I'm sorry for their lost business but this isn't the answer.

Yeah, you're mostly right. I do feel bad for any business that is losing money here, and it is certainly a shame for them. As you pointed out, simply doing sewer and road upgrade could kill off a business, and that sort of stuff isn't a luxury as it needs to be done.

That said, I wonder if they should consider some sort of tax relief for these people, assuming they lost business.

Here is a side point; imagine opening up a cafe or restaurant in a certain *government* district because it is under serviced. It's all find and dandy then the government decides that they need to relocate to a better location that would enable them to have a larger building. Now your cafe is losing most of their customers. You don't have any right to sue. It is, what it is.

(The above I am actually thinking about the Tim Hortons on Frederick and Lancaster, that saw a lot of business from the court house, which is now moved far down the street...they spent a crap load of money renovating the place, and now their customers are gone...)
(11-29-2016, 12:25 AM)Elmira Guy Wrote: It doesn't surprise me either that some businesses are exploring legal action, and I'm even less surprised that a certain phylum of lawyer is scuttling to represent them.

But as danbrotherston said, I'm not interested in supporting a business who is seeking to take money from the local government/taxpayers simply because said government is doing their job by improving and expanding necessary infrastructure.

I sympathise with the plight of businesses who have been sincerely impacted by all the construction (not those who claim that the LRT is the cause of their demise even when it clearly is not), but that does not mean they warrant monies for said troubles. Sure strikes me as a worrisome precedent.

Another related question: are these businesses going to pay back a share of their future increased income resulting from increased traffic due to the LRT system? They didn’t build that…
I assume that a business valuator would take the gains from LRT into account when assessing the situation.
I wonder if this is what I overheard last night, some reporter-type looking person at Good Vibes Juice Co talking with the owner right around closing, hearing him discuss LRT road closures.

I think I've counted at least 50 workers between William and the tracks along king the last few days. The push is definitely on to meet the November 30 deadline, but I am not sure the section of king at the freight tracks will be ready; there still seems to be a lot to do a very little time left to do it.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(11-28-2016, 12:22 PM)drum118 Wrote: I was told they are supposed to build a ramp on the north side of Northfield to off load the cars.

Hey drum, nice to see you over here!

I asked about the vehicle deliveries too at the open house. My understanding is that there won't be a permanent ramp built, rather just that the flatcar will be parked on the ION mainline south of the Northfield platforms, and the vehicle rolled down temporary ramp/rails onto the mainline itself. The diesel powered yard 'tug' (not the battery powered one we saw indoors at the open house) will then push (or tow, not sure which) the vehicle into the OMSF for commissioning.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »