Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(01-02-2017, 02:01 PM)Canard Wrote: I get a bit snippy around negativity toward the project (since the media loves to lather it on nice and thick and get people all soaped up), and it's hard to initially sort out who's just being pissy for the sake of being pissy, and who actually has valid concerns sometimes.

I think it's safe to say that people commenting on this site are far more likely to be asking questions in earnest than in an attempt to trash the project.

(01-01-2017, 07:12 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: That last photo really highlights how much of a jog the track takes to the left (south).  Anyone know why that is, why the bridges weren't lined up?

I believe it is because the had to building the new grade separation bridge beside the existing tracks to keep the lines working and then move everything over and dig out the out tracks.
(01-01-2017, 07:12 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: That last photo really highlights how much of a jog the track takes to the left (south).  Anyone know why that is, why the bridges weren't lined up?

I suspect that keeping them aligned simply wasn't a priority. The King St grade separation was easier to accomplish the further southeast you go, so presumably the location chosen was a good middleground. Keeping the bridges aligned would have meant digging out and lowering the grade of more of King St to the northwest. It would likely have meant significant regrading of the King/Wellington intersection.
What is happening with the snow clearing along the rapidway on streets like Ottawa and Borden where the rapidway is along the side. Wouldn't residences and businesses need the rapidway cleared to access their driveways?
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
New bylaws have now come into effect regarding parking on the LRT Rapidway, which is now prohibited.

Bylaw 16-023 Part V, Section 2 a) iii), now states:

Quote:Unless otherwise permitted in this By-law, no person shall
park a vehicle on any highway:
on or overhanging any railway track, light rail
transit track or other area designated through a
sign or road marking for light rail transit vehicles;

Stopping is also prohibited:

Quote:Stopping Prohibited
Unless otherwise permitted in this By-law, no person shall stop a vehicle on a highway:
e) on or overhanging any railway track, light rail transit track or other area designated through a sign or road marking for light rail transit vehicles; or
f) in such a manner as to obstruct traffic or the movement of a light rail transit vehicle.
(01-03-2017, 12:29 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: What is happening with the snow clearing along the rapidway on streets like Ottawa and Borden where the rapidway is along the side. Wouldn't residences and businesses need the rapidway cleared to access their driveways?

I live on Duke St, with tracks between my driveway and the road, and they are not being cleared. My husband has to shovel it out every time he does the driveway. It's very annoying. We did put in a call after the first significant snowfall and if I remember someone came a few days later, but that's not really helpful, and they certainly haven't kept up with it.
So give a call to bylaw and get the ball rolling.

Also curious: that part of the rapidway is (spottily) plowed. Possibly the Tannery itself, encouraging bylaw contravention?

So how much extra fully-on-the-region's-dime delays will we see because the region didn't do their job in keeping the rails clear for catenary work? I doubt the region could argue with any success that delaying a section because they didn't enforce their bylaw and the track was blocked is actually something GrandLinq should pay for. I'm a big proponent of just plain old safety being the main reason no one should be allowed on the rails. You needs months of messaging to clear the rails successfully, to ensure safety, and I don't want to see them starting the week before track testing actually begins.
(01-03-2017, 05:19 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: So how much extra fully-on-the-region's-dime delays will we see because the region didn't do their job in keeping the rails clear for catenary work? I doubt the region could argue with any success that delaying a section because they didn't enforce their bylaw and the track was blocked is actually something GrandLinq should pay for. I'm a big proponent of just plain old safety being the main reason no one should be allowed on the rails. You needs months of messaging to clear the rails successfully, to ensure safety, and I don't want to see them starting the week before track testing actually begins.

Actually, I think all you need is a tow truck.  Wink
Oh my god! Can I send that picture to my contacts at the Region? That's absolutely insane. Sad

Catenary work here was supposed to start the week before the holidays, but was delayed a week or two - the guys will be there any moment!

I get the "but the trains are delayed" argument. I really do. But we can't be harbouring these bad habits. There has to be a cutoff - a firm, "no more softness" moment. I really thought that'd be January 1.
(01-03-2017, 06:40 PM)Canard Wrote: Oh my god! Can I send that picture to my contacts at the Region? That's absolutely insane. Sad

Catenary work here was supposed to start the week before the holidays, but was delayed a week or two - the guys will be there any moment!

I get the "but the trains are delayed" argument. I really do. But we can't be harbouring these bad habits. There has to be a cutoff - a firm, "no more softness" moment. I really thought that'd be January 1.

I would start by ticketing ubiquitously — at least two passes per day of the entire LRT route, ticketing every vehicle.

Then in February start having the bylaw officer just ride in a tow truck and tow every single vehicle.

Yeah, I’m just an old softie.

Actually, it’s amazing just how much enforcement is needed to change habits, which further reinforces how right you are about this. There is a service road at UW which has always been a fire route and officially unavailable for parking, but for years it was normal for cars to be parked along one side. I don’t know why but as far as I can tell enforcement was spotty at most and it was normal to have a line of cars all along one side. Then one year they decided to start serious enforcement. I remember watching them tow car after car every single day for months. They also posted many more signs advertising the fact that it was no parking and a tow-away zone. It took an amazingly long time for the row of cars to disappear. It was pretty funny seeing cars with their blinkers still on being towed. I have some sympathy for the first people to get towed because the de facto (not de jure) rules had changed, but little sympathy for the people weeks later who were still parking there.
When you see this, send the picture to KMoser@regionofwaterloo.ca (Kimberly Moser)- that is who Strickland & Galloway put me in contact with when I sent in pics last month.

Send them to her and cc: a few regional councillors, too.

Bloody well bombard them with pictures so they know it is a problem.
Not everyone is as informed as the average person on this site. Most probably don't know the rules are now in effect. Yes, there are signs along the route, and people should know better, but they should start with education (e.g. media campaign and warnings). Give warnings until June then start ticketing and towing (unless there is another violation as well e.g. blocking a hydrant or fire route). It would be pretty easy to log the plates too so you only get one warning.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

I've already contacted local media with the suggestion to run a piece about it to get the word out. I'd encourage others to do the same.

All it takes is one vehicle [partially] blocking the rapidway in one location to bring the whole system down.
CBC at the very least has already run a story on this issue. As ijmorlan points out, it takes a lot of enforcement to get the issue across, and this should start now. At no point has parking on the tracks ever been legal, nor will it ever be, so this isn't a situation where you need to break a legal habit gradually with kid gloves. This has always been illegal behaviour, has costly and life-threatening consequences, and should be enforced before any illegal habits can become de facto allowed behaviour that has been justified due to non-enforcement and then needs to be broken.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »