Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Assembling the rails plus the green steel ties and jack bolts. This holds the rails in place prior to embedding.

Ah, prep for the concrete. Didn't realize that was the term.
Anchor walls going up at Fairview Park station today!
Happening Now!
  • Anchor Wall tiles going in at Seagram! This one is stone.
  • Roof glass going in at GRH.
  • Counterweights being installed on the catpoles on Charles.
  • Crossover work at Cameron Heights.
http://www.therecord.com/news-story/7075...-released/

Some information on Phase 2, if someone wants to map out those descriptions of options. In Kitchener, likely to get around cost/heritage concerns, Preston would be avoided in its entirety, and overall travel time perhaps increased, by taking Speedsville and Maple Grove. South Cambridge, similar avoid-it-all proposals to take Beverly and Dundas rather than Ainslie.
Quote: The options are roughly mapped, but not all of the details have been worked out.

• For Kitchener/North Cambridge, trains would travel Fairway Road to Maple Grove Road, Speedsville Road to Eagle Street, and connect to Hespeler Road at Pinebush Road.

• For South Cambridge, trains would travel from the Ainslie terminal up Beverley Street, or in the vicinity of Beverley and along Dundas to Hespeler Road; alternatively, they would go up Ainslie Street, to Water, through the Delta and on to Hespeler Road.

Whelp, they're seriously considering the Maple Grove/Speedsville industrial park route.
(01-20-2017, 11:08 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Some information on Phase 2, if someone wants to map out those descriptions of options.

To save people some time, just look at the consultation from last year, and look at the worst routings.

Honestly, I vote for BRT over this.

It seems to me like the article doesn't have any new information about the routings and is just restating the options from last year's consultation.
(01-20-2017, 09:48 AM)Canard Wrote: Happening Now!

Do you happen to know if this is the only one with a different structure? I had thought all the anchor walls were the same except for the colour of the tile squares, but this one seems to have stone rectangles of a different size from the usual glass squares, and I assume the support structure is correspondingly different.
(01-20-2017, 01:29 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Do you happen to know if this is the only one with a different structure? I had thought all the anchor walls were the same except for the colour of the tile squares, but this one seems to have stone rectangles of a different size from the usual glass squares, and I assume the support structure is correspondingly different.

There's a couple that will have stone instead of glass tiles; this is one of them. Also - different anchor walls have different "matricies" of tiles, too! You can see them all here:

http://rapidtransit.regionofwaterloo.ca/...mittee.pdf
Do we have a phase 2 page we could move these elements to?
(01-20-2017, 01:35 PM)Canard Wrote:
(01-20-2017, 01:29 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Do you happen to know if this is the only one with a different structure? I had thought all the anchor walls were the same except for the colour of the tile squares, but this one seems to have stone rectangles of a different size from the usual glass squares, and I assume the support structure is correspondingly different.

There's a couple that will have stone instead of glass tiles; this is one of them.  Also - different anchor walls have different "matricies" of tiles, too!  You can see them all here:

http://rapidtransit.regionofwaterloo.ca/...mittee.pdf

Thanks, that’s helpful. I hadn’t previously picked up on the different layouts. I knew each stop was unique as to appearance but it looks like there are 3 layouts — 5x5, 5x5 with an extra narrow row, and the layout used for the stone ones.
I find it interesting that with Phase 1, there was less worry about taking property, yet by Phase 2, they are worried enough about it to consider drastically altering the route for the sake of avoiding upset property owners.

For instance, I'd count the LRT prep work widening of Weber Street between Waterloo and Kitchener as a pretty drastic taking of property. Likewise, cutting down all the trees in Waterloo Park was also deemed acceptable for the better good of the project. I wonder what buildings, parklands or other significant properties in south Kitchener and Cambridge would be affected.

I did want to see concrete on Frederick!

[Image: 3j6EcWL.jpg]

[Image: m9Vbdyp.jpg]

[Image: LAcZu1p.jpg]

[Image: sB1Fgpx.jpg]
I know I always say it, Kevin, but you're so lucky you get to see all the mid-day action! If the crews are out on the weekends, I get to see the odd thing here or there... but I so wish I could have taken a 2-year sabatical from my job and just documented the entire project coming together. Smile

Just stumbled across this incredible resource: https://rac.jmaponline.net/canadianrailatlas/

This is wonderful for understanding exactly where all the existing rail corridors are, all across Canada.

I wonder when they'll update it with the new trackwork for ion. Big Grin
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »