Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Trio on Belmont | 14 fl, 12 fl, 8 fl | Complete
(01-22-2017, 05:43 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Seems like if you have a family and want to live in a condo/apartment, one must either spend almost a million on a deluxe penthouse unit, or must take up space in a low income building.  Seems like there's some middle ground missing.

I agree there are unfortunately not a lot of options if you want more than two bedrooms (and these days kids tend to have their own bedrooms).  Two bedroom + den (condo) units can be found somewhat more readily, but a lot of the dens are not big enough to be used as bedrooms.

Hopefully sometime in the near future a developer will spot this opportunity and include some three-bedroom units in a new development.

Dan and Tom, great posts!
How soon before we see some of the five bedroom units being converted to 2 or 3 bedroom units?
(01-23-2017, 01:46 PM)nms Wrote: How soon before we see some of the five bedroom units being converted to 2 or 3 bedroom units?

I cant imagine families would want to live in buildings that are ugly and made primarily for students though...
(01-23-2017, 02:35 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I cant imagine families would want to live in buildings that are ugly and made primarily for students though...

There are plenty of families out there that would not consider aesthetics to be a dealbreaker.

The real barrier to the student buildings going family is that there appears to be no shortage of affluent students able to pay $600+/bedroom.
I'm pretty sure this project is about to get larger. I have noticed since mid December that it seems like warwick Marking is moving I have seen unlatched transport truck trailers parked at there bay doors and since the beginning of the month I have seen a cube van there quite often. Since The weekend there has been a U-Haul truck there and this morning I saw guys moving cabinets and furniture from the building to the U-Haul truck. I'm pretty sure Hip bought the property because before the parking garage was built/finished the buildings tenants were using the Warwick parking lot to park in with passes and in late fall I saw a sign that said Mandatory jurisdiction meeting pointing to the building. I also noticed a extra Trio on Belmont sign laying against the Gage Ave side of the building.
Very interesting. If true, hopefully they do something with some street level interaction. That's the only thing I don't like about this project.

Turns out the Warwick Marking building is going to be the new location for Schreiter's furniture. https://twitter.com/schreitershome/statu...8389886979
Glad to see that they found a new location.
That will be a nice addition to the area. I wonder if they bought the property.
Pretty close to a floor a week on the third building so far:

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
The crane came down on Tuesday. Looking forward to the construction fence coming down; although I am still not convinced a permanent fence won't be installed between the buildings and IHT (the original renders showed none).
I really like the look of these buildings, but can't help but think that the rectangular concrete features are going to mean if you're in the unit above someone's balcony, and they're out on it making noise, it's going to really echo through your windows.

I could have sworn that part of the approval process for this project was
1) an enhanced connection to Patricia
2) a new connection to Belmont through the ~5m wide easement that runs between Patricia to Belmont that comes out across from Karn

I hope this pavement is temporary and they are not done, because the connection to Patricia was better before when it was gravel. This is about 1.5-2.0 wide and not actually connecting to Patricia yet:

From the outside, this looks complete, can anyone confirm?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »