Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pearson Transit Hub
Still just in "hey this would be a great idea" stage, but that's what we're about here, right?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/pe...-1.3968790

Quote:If built, the centre would connect with a number of transit lines including the Eglinton Crosstown LRT, Mississauga's bus rapid transit plan and potentially a high-speed rail line to the Kitchener-Waterloo area.

For the record, this would go in on the mostly-empty block between Airport Road and Viscount Drive; looks like the UPX would terminate there and new intra-airport connections would be built to replace the Link train.

Hopefully this makes it easier to connect in services like the Eglinton and Finch West LRTs, which they have been trying to find a way to work in.
Of course, this idea seems to propose knocking down the still-pretty-new Viscount parking garage, and the still-very-new Alt Hotel.

This is a pie-in-the-sky vision.... construction wouldn't start for over 15 years at least, and I don't expect to see anything like this be the actual design in the end.
It is indeed a radical change - they want everything in the current airport precinct to become airside, with all checkins at the new facility. That's a massive fundamental change to the entirety of their logistics - but it has the advantage of increasing their capacity by a great degree.
(02-07-2017, 11:42 AM)Markster Wrote: This is a pie-in-the-sky vision.... construction wouldn't start for over 15 years at least, and I don't expect to see anything like this be the actual design in the end.

Absolutely long-term, but I wouldn't call it "pie in the sky".  GTAA does long-term strategic planning; the current master plan runs from 2008 to 2030, and I would expect to see an update of that plan relatively soon, running out to 2040 or so.

The big difference with, say, a Waterloo Region master plan is that GTAA is in control.  It not only owns most of the land in question, it funds the development and does the construction, without a dependency on getting private developers on board.  So once they zero in on a plan, it has a high probability of actually getting implemented.
At first I was thinking they would run a new spur down near Airport Road (from near Malton station) to connect here, but it can be simpler than that.

They can just use the UPX spur corridor; build a new westbound connector to create a wye, and you have bidirectional access to the Kitchener line into the property discussed. Instead of elevating and crossing Airport Road, it stays at ground level or below and can branch into a terminal station under this facility, where heavy rail trains of any type (HSR, GO, UPX) can come and go. Easy peasy.
Pearson transit hub 'critical' for Toronto-Waterloo tech corridor
The proposed hub would be built in 2027 and link Toronto, Mississauga, Kitchener and London

CBC News Posted: Apr 04, 2017 1:18 PM ET Last Updated: Apr 04, 2017 1:18 PM ET

[Image: toronto-pearson-transit-hub-design.jpg]

Toronto-Pearson Transit Hub Design

The glass-roofed building at the centre of this rendering could become where you arrive at Toronto's Pearson International Airport in the future. The Greater Toronto Airports Authority said it thinks the surrounding buildings will be a mix of office, commercial and hotel space. (GTAA/Submitted)

Kitchener Mayor Berry Vrbanovic says a proposed transit hub at Pearson Airport would be critical to the future development of the Toronto-Waterloo Innovation Corridor.

A design for a proposed transit hub at Pearson, linking the Eglinton Crosstown LRT in Toronto, Mississauga Bus Rapid Transit and a proposed bullet train from Kitchener-Waterloo were unveiled last month by the Greater Toronto Airport Authority.

The GTAA says the hub would be built next to Pearson's two main terminals by the year 2027.

Speaking to Metro Morning host Matt Galloway on Tuesday, Kitchener Mayor Berry Vrbanovic said building the new transit hub would be key is easing the congestion along the traffic-choked Highway 401 and securing Waterloo Region's future tech growth.
Kitchener Mayor Berry Vrbanovic

Kitchener Mayor Berry Vrbanovic says a regional transit hub at Pearson airport would help to grow the city's 'innovation corridor.' (CBC)

"Right now we have as many people coming into Waterloo Region in the morning as we have coming out to the GTA in the morning to come work on this end of the corridor."

"If we're going to get them out of their cars and move them more effectively and efficiently, if we're going to create the kind of environment we see in other innovation hubs, whether it's San Francisco and Silicon Valley, London and Cambridge in Great Britain or Tel Aviv and Haifa in Israel, we need to make these critical investments."

The GTAA could not provide a cost for the transit hub it has proposed and it said that talks with all levels of governments are currently in their preliminary stages.

Right now the only rail link to Pearson Airport is the Union Pearson express, which moves commuters between the airport and Union Station in downtown Toronto.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »