Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evolv1 | 3 fl | Complete
Relatively recently a new sign has gone up at 435 Wes Graham Way for a new office building. Whether this project is the same as the one detailed below from a few years ago, is unclear.

TECHParkIV- not sure if this is the name going forward
Developer : Cora Group
Project : 3 story office building, with 100,000 SQFT of space. The building is supposed to be an extension of the Accelerator Centre.

http://www.coragroup.com/property/techpark-iv.php

According to Google Maps, 435 Wes Graham Way is right next to the R+T Ion stop.
And, bland as it is, this is more than a one storey building. Progress!
Three storeys, closer to the stop than anything else in R&T Park, means no new ground is being broken, development-wise. "Pre-leasing for summer of 2014"?
The new sign has revised dates but I can't remember what year only that it is a future date.
I think this could be "the building that gives back" - a net-positive building that is a collaboration between Sustainable Waterloo Region, Cora, UW, Ernst & Young.

Info on page 17 of this pdf: http://www.sustainablewaterlooregion.ca/...15-WEB.pdf
(07-28-2016, 03:42 PM)nms Wrote: According to Google Maps, 435 Wes Graham Way is right next to the R+T Ion stop.

I went past there yesterday, and the building next to the station is 415 or 420 Wes Graham Way (whichever one it is, the other is across the road). 435 may be closer to the roundabout.

(07-28-2016, 04:32 PM)panamaniac Wrote: And, bland as it is, this is more than a one storey building.  Progress!

Not really progress for the Tech Park.
Open Text built a 5 storey building at the far end. The real kicker is how much parking surrounds the building.
Are there many one storey buildings? Accelerator Centre, Stantech, Agfa, RAC 1&2, SAP are all three storeys. Optometry and CIF are weird split-levels. I think TechTown is the only one storey building.
So this week there are nearly identical signs for 415 and 420 Wes Graham Way. So it looks like we could see two separate buildings go up in the near future.
Both the signs for 415 and 420 Wes Graham Way have Cora Group for the contact.
Article on the project proposed for 420 Wes Graham Way.

http://m.therecord.com/news-story/714531...ces-energy
I used to work in a LEED Platinum building heated and cooled with geothermal...it was not all it was cracked up to be, and was terrible for humidity and comfort in the shoulder seasons. We wound up adding dehumidifiers and small space heaters to the plug load.

So, no opinions on that part, but I hope it really does break ground in April, and I hope it really does include that many EV charging stations.

It would be great if nearly 700 employees could be located so close to a station shortly after Ion's launch.

(02-17-2017, 08:24 AM)MidTowner Wrote: I used to work in a LEED Platinum building heated and cooled with geothermal...it was not all it was cracked up to be, and was terrible for humidity and comfort in the shoulder seasons. We wound up adding dehumidifiers and small space heaters to the plug load.

But was that because it was geothermal, or was the HVAC just badly designed? In theory geothermal should not be any better or worse than another heating/cooling source, and many people seem to be happy with those in their houses.
God knows. Something was not right, and we had to laugh when its performance was touted, as plug loads were not factored it. Nor should they have been, since that's not usually dependent on a building's design. But when a poorly-designed HVAC (whatever part of the HVAC) caused a lot of the space conditioning to be born by the plug load, that's not good.

It's true that ground-source heat pumps work great in the majority of cases, and I'm sure it will here, too. It will be neat to have a unique building like this at this spot.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »