Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
The Barrel Yards | 25 fl | U/C
It appears enough people do like it, and the demand is there at that price range, as they are continuing to build out the development. Rental prices for condos at 1 Victoria, Bauer Lofts, Arrow Lofts etc are similar, too.

On the upside, we have many different developments happening so people's choices are not limited to any particular price range.

As there been any work on the next phase of development?
As I recall, they are starting the next building this spring/summer.
(03-01-2017, 11:20 AM)tomh009 Wrote: As I recall, they are starting the next building this spring/summer.

Funny you should mention this, as I noticed some crane parts along FDB today while driving by. Not sure how long they have been there.
(03-01-2017, 11:39 AM)Section ThirtyOne Wrote:
(03-01-2017, 11:20 AM)tomh009 Wrote: As I recall, they are starting the next building this spring/summer.

Funny you should mention this, as I noticed some crane parts along FDB today while driving by. Not sure how long they have been there
Appears they have started to prepare the base to start the fifth tower. Those crane parts have been there since the crane from either onyx2 or cooperage 2 came down.
Given that their original plan for the first four towers was two condos + two rentals, and now they are going to start on a fifth rental, I am somewhat surprised by the demand for premium-quality rentals in uptown Waterloo (Princess is also upmarket rentals). I don't think the student demand explains all of that, either.

In downtown Kitchener, though, so far the upmarket rental unit demand is being met only by rented-out condo units. We'll need to wait for a while longer before we have some new rental stock here.
(03-01-2017, 03:53 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Given that their original plan for the first four towers was two condos + two rentals, and now they are going to start on a fifth rental, I am somewhat surprised by the demand for premium-quality rentals in uptown Waterloo (Princess is also upmarket rentals).  I don't think the student demand explains all of that, either.

In downtown Kitchener, though, so far the upmarket rental unit demand is being met only by rented-out condo units.  We'll need to wait for a while longer before we have some new rental stock here.

Rumour around the building is onyx 1 + 2 are to be converted to condominiums at some point. If they decide to go ahead, I believe they need to give the option to current occupants and for those that don't want the option, they would receive three months rent. 

I can tell you there are students, but very few would be undergraduate. The empty nesters represent the majority (at least in cooperage). The rent is more expensive than I would like but when I relocated to Waterloo from another centre, the vacancy rate for 1+den rentals in uptown is almost nil, outside of the barrel yards, or student area housing, there are few if any options.

Hey, welcome to Kitchener-Waterloo and to WRC, strickliability! Where did you relocate from? How does life in Waterloo feel like so far?
Doesn't this year bring us to 10 years since the project was first announced?
Only 10? I thought it was older than that.
(03-01-2017, 09:03 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Hey, welcome to Kitchener-Waterloo and to WRC, strickliability!  Where did you relocate from?  How does life in Waterloo feel like so far?

Thanks, from London. Actually glad to make the move with all the short-term thinking in that city, although the housing was a lot cheaper.
(03-01-2017, 11:51 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: Only 10? I thought it was older than that.

Not sure when the first announcement was, but I remember that when I first moved to Waterloo in late 2007 it had just gotten some approval. So 10 years sounds about right.
(03-04-2017, 12:52 AM)plam Wrote:
(03-01-2017, 11:51 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: Only 10? I thought it was older than that.

Not sure when the first announcement was, but I remember that when I first moved to Waterloo in late 2007 it had just gotten some approval. So 10 years sounds about right.

First public meeting was summer of 2007, so not quite 10 years (in public) yet.  Preliminary internal work probably started in 2006.

It'll probably be another five years yet before the entire site is completed.

(03-04-2017, 12:52 AM)plam Wrote:

That's why I remember it too.  I moved back here in 07 and it was just getting pumped up about it's potential
Fifth tower is starting shortly. "Royal Oak" 20 floors. Finishing the parking garage floors then the crane goes up.

Cooperage South (#2) has been reconfigured slightly. The gym will no longer be on the top floor. It will be on the first floor. The North tower gym is losing some of the machines and weights but each tower can access the other gym.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »