Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
GO Transit
Yeah... put those under reasons why I feel this is more of a "visioning exercise" than anything remotely practical/final.

2027 is a long way away... http://www.570news.com/2017/02/07/gtaa-p...rail-line/
(02-09-2017, 08:04 PM)kidgibnick Wrote: 2027 is a long way away... http://www.570news.com/2017/02/07/gtaa-p...rail-line/

Not when you are planning airport development ... or developing new aircraft, for that matter.
I so wish we had weekend GO service. I had to drive to Appleby to catch the train in to Toronto. It's a wonderful service and I dream for the day when I can just walk from our house to the station and pop into Toronto for an afternoon that way, instead of it being such an ordeal.

Sent from GO Coach 2503
We have hourly service to York on the weekends. That's Toronto, though not downtown Toronto.

It will be very nice to one day have the regular connecting bus through Bramalea operating on the weekends. That's a great service.
Yeah, I would have been happy to try and figure out the bus but I assumed it only went to Square One (I did kind of want to ride on one of the double-decker ones). I find buses very confusing to figure out the schedules so I avoid them. Trains are simple. Smile
(03-05-2017, 04:48 PM)Canard Wrote: Yeah, I would have been happy to try and figure out the bus but I assumed it only went to Square One (I did kind of want to ride on one of the double-decker ones). I find buses very confusing to figure out the schedules so I avoid them. Trains are simple. Smile

I totally agree! I find the GO bus schedules more confusing then it should be. It would also be nice to have GO bus service directly from downtown Kitchener to downtown Guelph and vice versa. Even when taking Greyhound to get to Guelph you first have to go to Sportsworld which makes the trip twice as long as it should.

(03-05-2017, 04:01 PM)Canard Wrote: I so wish we had weekend GO service. I had to drive to Appleby to catch the train in to Toronto. It's a wonderful service and I dream for the day when I can just walk from our house to the station and pop into Toronto for an afternoon that way, instead of it being such an ordeal.

Sent from GO Coach 2503

Just curious, why Appleby? I usually go to Burlington because it's a straight walk from platform to lot/garage after getting back at the end of the day.

It was a dream when I lived in Port Credit; I was two blocks away and worked two blocks away from Exhibition.
There's not anything inherently more complicated about bus schedules than train schedules. I've seen some pretty nutty train schedules that tried to show connections and whatnot. And straightforward bus schedules.

Out of curiosity, Waterlooer, what about the Go bus schedules seems complicated? I haven't had that experience, but maybe I'm used to them.

I also wish we had a good service between Kitchener and Guelph. On the Go, I am always impressed by how many people disembark in Guelph. The way the two cities are integrated, it seems odd we don't have better transportation connections.
Sorry, I meant Aldershot. The station just a kilometre or two past the bottom end of Highway 6 there at the QEW. It's the end of the line on weekends so it maximizes train-ride time. Big Grin

The bus schedule is too confusing. I looked at it once and there are like 5 versions of the "25" GO bus and I just gave up trying to figure it out.
(03-05-2017, 08:26 PM)MidTowner Wrote: There's not anything inherently more complicated about bus schedules than train schedules. I've seen some pretty nutty train schedules that tried to show connections and whatnot. And straightforward bus schedules.

Out of curiosity, Waterlooer, what about the Go bus schedules seems complicated? I haven't had that experience, but maybe I'm used to them.

I also wish we had a good service between Kitchener and Guelph. On the Go, I am always impressed by how many people disembark in Guelph. The way the two cities are integrated, it seems odd we don't have better transportation connections.

I think if you were to go look at the GO Bus map, you'd understand the confusion.  It merely shows the places GO Buses drive, and doesn't seem to have any concept of "routes".  You seem to have to simply know what routes the buses drive so you know which number schedules to look up.

On the other hand, Google Maps interfaces with GO Transit (unlike Greyhound), and provides very excellent route finding, that's basically how I figure out the routes to take.
So I live in Brampton, which is closer to Toronto, and the 31, which is the train-bus service that serves the Kitchener Line, is complicated, and has been for ages. There are in fact EIGHT branches of the 31. That's just plain ridiculous.

At Bramalea GO, where you can take the 30 Kitchener-Bramalea Express to, there are six branches of the 31. It's actually mildly mindboggling.

Honestly, just use Google Maps, or Triplinx.ca. It'll save you the hassle of dealing with the schedules on GO's website.
Google Maps is an excellent option for trip plan with transit in general. There is a general logic to GO's route numbering system, but I'm not so sure it's a system that is overly useful for passengers so much as it's useful for planners.

danbrotherston, okay, good point about the map, it doesn't actually provide much routing information. But I don't understand the complaints about the bus schedules: they seem pretty straightforward to me. The 25 to Mississauga only has two different route numbers (25/25C), and the distinction is express or not.

Anyway, the trip planner is probably a good suggestion...it's true that there are many routes.
(03-05-2017, 08:49 PM)Canard Wrote: The bus schedule is too confusing. I looked at it once and there are like 5 versions of the "25" GO bus and I just gave up trying to figure it out.

CANARD: Excuse me, sir? When does this bus get to the museum?
LARRY THE BUS DRIVER: It doesn't.
CANARD: Oh. But isn't this the 25?
LARRY: Yeah, Monday, Wednesday, Friday. Tuesday, Thursday, it's the 25A.
CANARD: 25A? Then where the heck am I?
LARRY: Don't make me tap the sign.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »