Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph
I've been meaning to take and post some pictures of the work happening at the Shirley Ave. extension. I took a quick look and it seemed like they were working on some stuff unrelated to just extending the road. But I figured you guys would know more if I posted pictures.

(03-16-2017, 06:21 AM)Canard Wrote: All we really need to start is a vectored PDF of Markster's map.

That was a vectored PDF. I rasterized and stitched together two map pages to make that consolidated image of the interchange.

There was public consultation for this project, but it was literally years ago, as highway projects work on an incredibly long time frame. They're constantly studying the next ones (most recently ones like GTA West), and then putting the results on a shelf for years while they wait funding. I think the project website for Highway 7 has already disappeared off the internet, it was so long ago.
(03-16-2017, 10:28 AM)Markster Wrote:
(03-16-2017, 06:21 AM)Canard Wrote: All we really need to start is a vectored PDF of Markster's map.

That was a vectored PDF.  I rasterized and stitched together two map pages to make that consolidated image of the interchange.

There was public consultation for this project, but it was literally years ago, as highway projects work on an incredibly long time frame.  They're constantly studying the next ones (most recently ones like GTA West), and then putting the results on a shelf for years while they wait funding.  I think the project website for Highway 7 has already disappeared off the internet, it was so long ago.

Is GTA West not dead yet?!
So if it's a zoomable, fully-vectored PDF, where's the link so we can all zoom in on it?
(03-16-2017, 10:31 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: Is GTA West not dead yet?!

First thing on the webpage:
Quote:Spring 2016 Update

In December 2015, the Ministry of Transportation suspended work on the environmental assessment of the Greater Toronto Area West Highway Corridor (GTA West), in order to review the work undertaken to date and to ensure the project still aligns with recent changes in government policy and emerging technologies.

A panel has been tasked with conducting a strategic assessment of the alternatives to meeting future transportation demand and other transportation infrastructure needs for passenger and goods movement in the GTA West corridor in light of these changes.

Work has commenced, the Panel is expected to provide its advice, and we will provide an update as soon as it’s available.

Anyway, it was just an example. There are other projects that have completed their PICs years ago that are just waiting for funding now.

Did you know that they've completed an EA for widening the 401 through Oshawa?
http://www.highway401brocktocourtice.ca/faqs.html
The last PIC was in 2014, but as far as I am aware, the project is not yet funded.
I wonder if the rasterization removed the line on Edna, because if you go back to the original PDF linked to on JCnB's post on the first page of this thread, it shows a clear separation between the two directions on the Edna connector.

Link to the PDF here:
http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/a....php?aid=8
Thanks for the link, Jamincan - that's exactly what I was looking for.

I still think it's going to be weird driving North on that connector, with traffic flying by so fast on the right.

It's a chance to imagine you are driving in the UK! Big Grin
(03-16-2017, 12:09 PM)Canard Wrote: Thanks for the link, Jamincan - that's exactly what I was looking for.

I still think it's going to be weird driving North on that connector, with traffic flying by so fast on the right.

(a) The traffic immediately to the right will be coming off a flyover, and hopefully not moving at full highway speeds at that point.

(b) This is really no different than the North and South Service roads along the QEW.

Coke
People drive at full highway speeds on the flyover to Highway 8. This one looks like a gentler curve that that.
News: http://www.therecord.com/news-story/7295...-says-mto/

Link:  www.NewHighway7.ca
(05-10-2017, 07:26 AM)timio Wrote: News: http://www.therecord.com/news-story/7295...-says-mto/

Link:  www.NewHighway7.ca

Thanks for posting these links
it's interesting that the design is still in progress, how common is that for these infrastructure projects?

It doesn't clearly state what phase the interchanges with 85/8 will be constructed.

85 southbound collectors are now reduced to one lane approaching Victoria and the express lanes in the same stretch have lost their shoulders.  Hard to tell when driving by at speed, but it appears that some digging has already begun between the express and collector lanes here with a trench box going in to keep the walls from collapsing.  Exciting times!
The 85 South Access from Wellington is now also closed while work is completed along the85 in between Victoria and Wellington
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »