Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kitchener-Waterloo Oktoberfest
If Oktoberfest is to continue as a tradition with new generations interested, they need to get with the times and include craft beer and craft food.

I would agree, but they go with the big boys because they sponsor the event. The craft beers will have to become significant sponsors, in order to get their product in to the halls. And with regards to keeping up with the new generations, I was at the Kool Haus at Bingeman's on Saturday, and I was definitely in the minority when it came to age. The place was awash with 20 somethings and at 50, my group and I were definitely in the minority.
(10-13-2015, 09:13 AM)schooner77 Wrote: I would agree, but they go with the big boys because they sponsor the event. The craft beers will have to become significant sponsors, in order to get their product in to the halls.
That's their current model, and that's what I think KW Oktoberfest has to change in order to adapt. Because I don't think Block 3 or Innocente or TWB is going to come knocking with hundreds of thousands in sponsorship. They need a new funding model.
I concur. I'd like to see the books opened so that full disclosure can occur. It's ridiculous that a foreign-owned beer conglomerate can have a monopoly on a cultural event due to sponsorship dollars. The beer prices and admission surely cannot be subsidized, given the cost of the beer at the festhalls.
(10-15-2015, 07:40 AM)numberguy Wrote: I'd like to see the books opened so that full disclosure can occur.  

I'll drink to that! Wink

It would also be interesting to see when the deal comes up for renewal. Hopefully it's not a decade or more from now.

I would think that after 50 years KW Oktoberfest would be sufficiently entrenched to be able to operate without the exclusive "help" of the  international beer cartel.

I'd also like to see some discussion about lessening the emphasis on beer, mass-market or craft. People are drinking less and driving even less after drinking. I think that's one reason why some of the beer halls didn't open this year. Perhaps KW-O's mandate should be broadened to include multiculturalism, arts, sports, etc. That too would broaden sponsorship opportunities and further reduce dependence on the international beer cartel.
Hmmm...looks like awareness of the ins and outs of Oktoberfest outside KW could be improved...

Onkel Hans is now Prosit according to the Toronto Star.

[Image: P9xTUtR1.jpg]
This year's fest kicks off tomorrow, and Justin Trudeau will once again attend - the PM will be tapping the keg.

Amazing Race fans also have something to look forward to - this years winners, Steph and Kristen (who have local roots), will be the parade Grand Marshals.

Bingemans no longer running official Oktoberfest venue

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/7196...est-venue/

Quote:The festival announced Friday that Bingemans has decided to no longer run an accredited festhall, although it still plans many Oktoberfest events, just not under the official K-W Oktoberfest banner.

"We have an over-4,000-person venue, the Kool Haus, which will still be occurring and we'll still have fantastic entertainment," Bingeman said. "The product offerings will certainly change and be more tailored to consumer demands."

"Our goal is to produce a fantastic product that consumers want. That drives attendance, that drives ticket sales, that drives the success. You know, there's a reason we're not in the roller-skating business anymore."

Not explicit in the article is that Bingemans likely no longer wishes to exclusively serve Molson Coors products, a requirement of accredited festhalls.
(03-17-2017, 06:25 PM)KevinL Wrote: Not explicit in the article is that Bingemans likely no longer wishes to exclusively serve Molson Coors products, a requirement of accredited festhalls.

That sounds like my reason for not wanting to go to accredited festhalls anymore.
(03-17-2017, 06:28 PM)timc Wrote:
(03-17-2017, 06:25 PM)KevinL Wrote: Not explicit in the article is that Bingemans likely no longer wishes to exclusively serve Molson Coors products, a requirement of accredited festhalls.

That sounds like my reason for not wanting to go to accredited festhalls anymore.

+1
(03-18-2017, 05:59 AM)Drake Wrote:
(03-17-2017, 06:28 PM)timc Wrote: That sounds like my reason for not wanting to go to accredited festhalls anymore.

+1

+2

I wonder if there are financial reasons too, not having to pay royalties?
+3, if this can in any way push the powers toward a much-needed revamp of K-W Oktoberfest. Less cheese, more beer, please!
+4. With great breweries in the region like Descendants, Innocente, Block 3, etc., it's high time to eliminate Molson from further lining their pockets, selling beer that is inferior (imo) to that which is produced right down the street. I hope others follow suit.

I expect Molson-Coors pays a significant amount of money for the exclusive beer rights.

What Oktoberfest might consider is negotiating with M-C to allow one alternative brewer per venue, as long as that brewer's product is priced at least X% higher than the standard M-C beer. I would gladly pay X% more! Smile
This is really smart, if they are offering craft beer or dare I say German beer they could really drive a lot of ticket sales. I really hope this catches on and KW Oktoberfest sees the value in drop their Molson sponsorship.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »