Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Canard, is this level of crossing arms typical for light rail outside of Ontario/Canada?

I lived in Jersey City for awhile and they have a light rail system that had almost no crossing arms. But maybe there's some difference I'm missing?

4/5 Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Some rework here has the Iron Horse Trail interrupted at Borden for a short while.

I am so done with fences.  No more fences!!!!  Angry

The South access for the Research & Technology station now has the concrete finished off.  Just need that final pour of the platform decking and the tactile edge!

Philip St. access to Research & Technology.

Research & Technology, from the Philip St. access.
5/5 Wednesday, March 29, 2017

We now have a second anchor wall with fonts!

Uh oh... nobody show kps! Tongue

(seriously though - are you going to tell them about the "e"/overshoot thing?)
(03-29-2017, 09:13 PM)Canard Wrote:
(03-29-2017, 03:51 PM)Coke6pk Wrote: Canard, Corrected for you....

I laughed out loud once I saw it.  Took me a second.  You win.  Smile

1/5 Sunday, March 26, 2017

Duke St.  I like how the aspect signals are all lined up.

The anchor wall went up on Friday (the 24th).  Note the crew working away on a Sunday in the tent.

Mill Station now has the wraps off.

Catenary up all along the Huron Spur now.  Neat transition here - this is looking South where the Conestoga Parkway is.  Note the tensioners there...

...the tensioners for the South run are on the other side of the overpass.  So, through the tunnel, there are actually four contact wires.

For give my ignorance, but can someone explain the middle (or third track) for me please....
(03-29-2017, 09:32 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: For give my ignorance, but can someone explain the middle (or third track) for me please....

No worries!  They just haven't pinned it in place, yet - but it's a pair of guard rails to help prevent a derailed train from crashing into the overpass.  You see the same thing on bridges, too.  Here's a photo of how it will look, from the culvert in Waterloo Park:

Here's what it looks like at Overland Drive, from a little further back (and on a much sunnier day):

(03-29-2017, 09:39 PM)Canard Wrote:
(03-29-2017, 09:32 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: For give my ignorance, but can someone explain the middle (or third track) for me please....

No worries!  They just haven't pinned it in place, yet - but it's a pair of guard rails to help prevent a derailed train from crashing into the overpass.  You see the same thing on bridges, too.  Here's a photo of how it will look, from the culvert in Waterloo Park:

Here's what it looks like at Overland Drive, from a little further back (and on a much sunnier day):

Ohhhhh  silly me,   I always wondered about that...Thank you,  Damn I will sleep well tonight now...
They made quick work of that crater of a hole at King at William. They lower a lot of concrete sewer connections in to it the last two days.

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

The R&T station, what will the actual access look like near those tactile edges? I'm assuming we're not asking wheelchairs to roll over ballast and tracks in the end.
(03-30-2017, 10:34 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: The R&T station, what will the actual access look like near those tactile edges? I'm assuming we're not asking wheelchairs to roll over ballast and tracks in the end.
I imagine deck-plates will go on the tracks. Much like what you see wherever the tracks cross a road.

Also, that's going to be fun to navigate on a bike...
[Image: attachment.php?aid=3502]
(03-29-2017, 09:24 PM)Canard Wrote: We now have a second anchor wall with fonts!

Uh oh... nobody show kps!  Tongue

(seriously though - are you going to tell them about the "e"/overshoot thing?)

Nah, I've decided they suit the character of the system. All the signs really need is some protective chainlink fencing.
(03-30-2017, 10:51 AM)Markster Wrote: Also, that's going to be fun to navigate on a bike...

Hmm? I imagine it'll be pretty easy to walk your bike across here...
A decent question though, as R&T park in particular will be the only crossing point for the line in that area. Maybe Seagram is another spot where the station itself is the primary pedestrian/cycling crossing of the track, and this kind of crossing use is to be expected?
Yeah, but you have to walk your bike along the platform... so you may as well dismount before crossing, not after. It's a courtesy thing, as well as a safety thing.

(03-30-2017, 10:51 AM)Markster Wrote: I imagine deck-plates will go on the tracks. Much like what you see wherever the tracks cross a road.

Also, that's going to be fun to navigate on a bike...
[Image: attachment.php?aid=3502]

There are gauntlet tracks there, I didn't think they had deck plates to go with those, Seagram Dr. just has pretty bumpy asphalt.
(03-30-2017, 12:50 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: A decent question though, as R&T park in particular will be the only crossing point for the line in that area. Maybe Seagram is another spot where the station itself is the primary pedestrian/cycling crossing of the track, and this kind of crossing use is to be expected?

I believe the current Waterloo Park plan allows cyclists to continue up and cross at the road instead of the station.  Of course, without signage, that might not be clear.  In either case, they are sadly planning to end the cycling/pedestrian segregation just before the station, or to put it another way, in the area of maximum congestion.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »