Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Vertikal (471-481 King St E) | 23 & 19 fl | U/C
(03-30-2017, 10:19 AM)tomh009 Wrote: I think assuming Fallowfield is the worst-case scenario.  Drewlo has four buildings near Victoria Park, and all look quite reasonable (better than most of Northdale, to be sure), at least on the outside.  I'm cautiously optimistic that they'll do something good here, too.

You should take a visit to Northdale again.
They're now building some of the best stuff in the city.

Better than King St between University and Columbia, then? I've heard politicians and staffers in Kitchener refer to those buildings as reasons for why none of Kitchener should be more than 3 storeys in the downtown, and for why buildings should be stepped back from the street by their height. /facepalm
I'd like to see some mid-rise rentals facing King St at the Drewlo site, with any high-rise in behind. Something in the 6-8 storey range, perhaps with a setback. Whatever they start with, it will be interesting to see what kind of uptake there is for new rental apartments at that end of Downtown. I'm keeping fingers crossed.
(03-30-2017, 11:49 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Better than King St between University and Columbia, then? I've heard politicians and staffers in Kitchener refer to those buildings as reasons for why none of Kitchener should be more than 3 storeys in the downtown, and for why buildings should be stepped back from the street by their height. /facepalm

Definitely.
Check out the ones that have gone up on Albert near University, and then head over to Philip St. Retail hasn't been occupied in all them, but it's starting to come together.
(03-30-2017, 11:16 AM)Markster Wrote:
(03-30-2017, 10:19 AM)tomh009 Wrote: I think assuming Fallowfield is the worst-case scenario.  Drewlo has four buildings near Victoria Park, and all look quite reasonable (better than most of Northdale, to be sure), at least on the outside.  I'm cautiously optimistic that they'll do something good here, too.

You should take a visit to Northdale again.
They're now building some of the best stuff in the city.

I drove by recently to look at the newer buildings. Sorry, I disagree. I acknowledge they are better but still not very pleasing to the eye. Go to Mississauga City Centre and you will see nice buildings.  Northdale is ugly and will horrific in about ten years or so as the buildings age
(03-30-2017, 12:56 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I drove by recently to look at the newer buildings. Sorry, I disagree. I acknowledge they are better but still not very pleasing to the eye. Go to Mississauga City Centre and you will see nice buildings.  Northdale is ugly and will horrific in about ten years or so as the buildings age

(03-30-2017, 02:02 PM)Markster Wrote:
(03-30-2017, 12:56 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I drove by recently to look at the newer buildings. Sorry, I disagree. I acknowledge they are better but still not very pleasing to the eye. Go to Mississauga City Centre and you will see nice buildings.  Northdale is ugly and will horrific in about ten years or so as the buildings age

And that is is why it is called an opinion . Just like yours may differ from mine on some subjects. Sadly I feel I will be right about the detieoration 

Oh also. I have not made fun openly on here of people's opinions. Save that for a one on one conversation please

Heh, I posted the picture in jest. Of course it's an opinion! Just like mine is an opinion too.
I realize that further debate is just us saying our own opinions at each other, with no hope of convincing the other. I figure I may as well humorously point out how ineffectual it would be to continue the opinion war. Smile

It was not meant to make fun of you.

I'm hopeful we get something like Drewlo's City Place buildings in London. They have a complete street wall with retail at ground level, and then set back towers behind. They're not nearly as cool looking as the Momentum condo towers, but they fit into the city well and provide reasonably priced housing.
(03-30-2017, 04:36 PM)taylortbb Wrote:

I'm hopeful we get something like Drewlo's City Place buildings in London. They have a complete street wall with retail at ground level, and then set back towers behind. They're not nearly as cool looking as the Momentum condo towers, but they fit into the city well and provide reasonably priced housing.

Typical Drewlo, but I'd be happy with that. The city really needs east end King St to start coming, and something like this would be an awesome addition.
(03-30-2017, 03:39 PM)Markster Wrote: Heh, I posted the picture in jest.  Of course it's an opinion!  Just like mine is an opinion too.  
I realize that further debate is just us saying our own opinions at each other, with no hope of convincing the other.  I figure I may as well humorously point out how ineffectual it would be to continue the opinion war. Smile

It was not meant to make fun of you.

OK. I am sorry. I had my back up because of another conversation. I actually laughed my ass off when I saw it. If we don't laugh at ourselves then what

Seriously. All good. Keep it up and now that I know your sense of humour. I say game on.   

And for the record marketer. I value your comments. I often find them well informed and researched.  

Again. I am sorry. Just a little over senstivie but it is all good.
(03-30-2017, 04:36 PM)taylortbb Wrote:

Knowing what Drewlo has done in the past, this was always my hope for this lot knowing I could wish for something high quality, but know I'd be disappointed.
Was there a White Rose gas station on this block (or nearby) in the 50's?  trying to piece together some historical stuff. thanks

(03-30-2017, 09:33 PM)Spokes Wrote: Knowing what Drewlo has done in the past, this was always my hope for this lot knowing I could wish for something high quality, but know I'd be disappointed.

I think something like City Place is certainly good enough.  Doing something "high quality" would likely drive up the costs and make the rents less affordable.  And we need to make sure there is (reasonably) affordable housing in the core, too.
(03-30-2017, 10:20 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(03-30-2017, 09:33 PM)Spokes Wrote: Knowing what Drewlo has done in the past, this was always my hope for this lot knowing I could wish for something high quality, but know I'd be disappointed.

I think something like City Place is certainly good enough.  Doing something "high quality" would likely drive up the costs and make the rents less affordable.  And we need to make sure there is (reasonably) affordable housing in the core, too.

Very good point.

As a former resident of a Drewlo building, we were definitely happy with our experience there.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »