Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
The station name is up at UW.

[Image: CuNghEJ.jpg?1]

(04-07-2017, 11:09 AM)KevinL Wrote: <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">First logos have been applied to the ION train. <a href="https://t.co/6VjE3ij1I0">pic.twitter.com/6VjE3ij1I0</a></p>&mdash; ION (@rideIONrt) <a href="https://twitter.com/rideIONrt/status/850361708178788352">April 7, 2017</a></blockquote>

SQUEAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Heart  Heart  Heart  Heart  Heart  Heart

Needs chrome Bombardier logo on nose though!
Ah, the University of GRT.
...I take it all back.  Now I want to cry:

HORRIFYING. Sad UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Also sad to see no room left for the Bombardier badge. Sad

(04-07-2017, 11:59 AM)Canard Wrote: ...I take it all back.  Now I want to cry:

HORRIFYING. Sad UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Did they really put the “i” on a light of some sort? That just seems sloppy.
The "Region of Waterloo" logos above the doors also looked extremely shoddy and off center. The text didn't fit next to the logo, so they almost just "placed it wherever" to cram it in whatever free space was available.

Also, the anchor wall is up at the City Hall station. Was freezing and dark last night though, so didn't get any pics.

(04-07-2017, 12:13 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Did they really put the “i” on a light of some sort? That just seems sloppy.

Yeah, they should have shifted it a little down, so that the light would match up with the dot perfectly!

I like it Smile
I suspected you might. It's one step away from Comic Sans.
(04-07-2017, 01:26 PM)Canard Wrote: I suspected you might. It's one step away from Comic Sans.

So it's the font you dislike? Or do you dislike the existence of it at all?
I don't care for it being so large, and centred. I would have been fine with it being smaller and all on one line, and justified to one side of say the 2nd or 4th modules.

It just looks tacky, that's all. It's my opinion - something I'm entitled to - not sure why MB feels the need to bully me online about it, just because I actually have taste when it comes to design.
The one hope I have for ION is that regardless of whether my taste likes or dislikes all those logos, that they're so large gives me hope that we can avoid giving birth to...LRT WRAPS. I think we can all agree that we'd all trade a heck of a lot of style on ION for a lack of LRT wrap ads.
I think it would have been better to follow the branding used on iXpress. On those buses, the GRT logo appears at the top, with "Grand River Transit" in smaller, gold letters. But the gold seems to tie into the dot over the "i" in "iXpress"; since ION uses green, maybe green lettering for "Grand River Transit" would work.

By the way, I am terrible at visual design, so these are probably nutty ideas.

I get the idea that GRT wants to stress that this is one system, so I guess that is why they are doing what they are doing.

They shold have used the all-caps lettering from the logo (though perhaps not in yellow):

[Image: Grtshadow.png]
(04-07-2017, 01:35 PM)Canard Wrote: It just looks tacky, that's all.  It's my opinion - something I'm entitled to - not sure why MB feels the need to bully me online about it, just because I actually have taste when it comes to design.

He's not bullying you, he, like I, was just confused at what about it caused your very strong reaction. The design is, I agree, unremarkable. But I didn't see anything outright bad that would be so worthy of ridicule. (Though, that off-level 501B on the front is pretty close)

Thanks for clarifying your views!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »