Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting to Pearson
(04-11-2017, 02:02 PM)plam Wrote: Yeah, those are pretty weird times, especially the 12:35AM one.

Not so weird - I imagine there is some demand for workers whose shifts end that late, or after arrival of the last flights of the night (allowing time through customs, luggage retreival, etc).

I've had flights that land in the evening before. The Airporter's last scheduled departure was at 6:50, so it was useless to me. This I could see using.
(04-11-2017, 02:02 PM)plam Wrote: I think the 9:30 one might be worse than taking the GO train and then UP.

How so?

I have a flight on May 9 around 1:30PM so this is very relevant to me. for the 9th Greyhound's schedule shows Charles St. 09:30 AM to Pearson 10:50 AM.

Just the train from Kitchener-Malton is either 7:10-8:41 on GO (1:31 duration) or 9:18-10:32 on VIA (1:14). With the additional time for a taxi or TTC bus from Malton, or carrying on to Weston and taking UPX back, the Greyhound looks to be substantially shorter, and cheaper - the "web-only" fare for this trip is listed as $7.80 right now.
(04-11-2017, 04:20 PM)EdM Wrote:
(04-11-2017, 02:02 PM)plam Wrote: I think the 9:30 one might be worse than taking the GO train and then UP.

How so?

I have a flight on May 9 around 1:30PM so this is very relevant to me. for the 9th Greyhound's schedule shows Charles St.  09:30 AM to Pearson 10:50 AM.

Just the train from Kitchener-Malton is either 7:10-8:41 on GO (1:31 duration) or 9:18-10:32 on VIA (1:14). With the additional time for a taxi or TTC bus from Malton, or carrying on to Weston and taking UPX back, the Greyhound looks to be substantially shorter, and cheaper - the "web-only" fare for this trip is listed as $7.80 right now.

Train may be more comfortable.

Turns out Google Maps suggests taking the GO 30 at 9:58 and then the 115 to arrive at the airport for noon. This is $18, so Greyhound would be cheaper and shorter. The VIA plus 52 is 1h40 but more expensive. GO train plus UP is 2h20. But it's easier to get the tickets.
The midnight return trip definitely makes sense; I've been on many flights that arrived after 10pm and just examining the arrivals for tonight shows loads more.

I am quite surprised that they don't have an early morning trip to Pearson, though. They miss the major bank of morning flights with such a late morning trip.
It's also worth pointing out that Greyhound also only makes sense arriving at Pearson, departing, since you have to book tickets and times in advance, if your flight is delayed you'll miss your connection.
(04-11-2017, 07:22 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: It's also worth pointing out that Greyhound also only makes sense arriving at Pearson, departing, since you have to book tickets and times in advance, if your flight is delayed you'll miss your connection.

I suppose they might setup a ticket vendor there, but you would still lose the advance-purchase discount.

(04-11-2017, 02:02 PM)plam Wrote: Taking GO to Square One and then a taxi may be a better money/speed tradeoff in some cases.

Or taking the weekday hourly express GO buses between Kitchener and Bramalea, with taxi the rest of the way. This should be faster than Square One, and definitely faster than the Greyhound.
(04-11-2017, 09:35 PM)mpd618 Wrote: Or taking the weekday hourly express GO buses between Kitchener and Bramalea, with taxi the rest of the way. This should be faster than Square One, and definitely faster than the Greyhound.

I've done the 30 GO bus to Bramalea followed by the 115 to Pearson several times and it works out well, although the 115 stop is at the road, across most of the GO parking lot. 30 + taxi should indeed be faster than the Greyhound milk run, but probably about the same as the 9:30 almost direct Greyhound I'd think.
(04-11-2017, 09:35 PM)mpd618 Wrote:
(04-11-2017, 02:02 PM)plam Wrote: Taking GO to Square One and then a taxi may be a better money/speed tradeoff in some cases.

Or taking the weekday hourly express GO buses between Kitchener and Bramalea, with taxi the rest of the way. This should be faster than Square One, and definitely faster than the Greyhound.

I can't see that it would be much faster than the Greyhound airport service, which is scheduled at 1h20 travel time.  Driving from downtown to Pearson (outside of rush hour) is just about 1h, and going to Bramalea and from there to the airport surely adds 10-15 minutes to the direct travel time.
(04-12-2017, 11:20 AM)tomh009 Wrote: I can't see that it would be much faster than the Greyhound airport service, which is scheduled at 1h20 travel time.  Driving from downtown to Pearson (outside of rush hour) is just about 1h, and going to Bramalea and from there to the airport surely adds 10-15 minutes to the direct travel time.

The 9:30 Greyhound is 1h20. The later ones go through Guelph and are 1h50.

To add on to my earlier point: the thing about the 12:30am Greyhound from Pearson is that either you're waiting a long time or you're just missing your bus... so I'd be reluctant to plan travel with a 12:30am Greyhound at the end of it, myself.
Well, here's another twist.

IS GREYHOUND PULLING AN UBER?

Quote:Greyhound recently launched scheduled service between Waterloo Region and the Toronto Pearson airport, to much fanfare. To many, this is an obvious and useful connection. It is also, as best as I can tell, illegal under Ontario’s Public Vehicles Act.

From TriTAG.
How is it illegal? It's a bus to the airport. That sounds useful.

Just like rail safety, while it may seem fine to take photos from a railway, it is against the explicit letter of the law.
Not disputing its utility. But these things have a process and laws, and this operator appears willing to ignore that. Note that they gain from these laws (exclusivity on the Kitchener-Toronto route, among many others) but are flouting them here. They can't have it both ways.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »