Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
General University Area Updates and Rumours
In what year did we stop using asbestos materials? 1980 doesn't seem that long ago (I know, I'm old)

Coke

Brick 
There is asbestos pipe in the basement garage of the Bauer development...
(04-11-2017, 10:44 PM)Smore Wrote: There is asbestos pipe in the basement garage of the Bauer development...

It's still pretty common in new construction, is it not?  Ban coming in 2018?
(04-12-2017, 09:05 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(04-11-2017, 10:44 PM)Smore Wrote: There is asbestos pipe in the basement garage of the Bauer development...

It's still pretty common in new construction, is it not?  Ban coming in 2018?

Wow!  I thought it was banned a long time ago... I guess I am out of touch with construction stuff....

Coke
Both the Peters Building at University and Albert, and the seminary at Albert and Bricker are undergoing major renovations
Looking at Factory Square's twitter feed I haven't seen them announce any non food vendor tenants, which surprises me I thought spaces here would lease fairly quickly.
Where is Factory Square?

451 Phillip St, the former BlackBerry manufacturing building.
There is a proposal for a 13 floor residential building along with a parking garage for 105 University Ave East by PGDS...whom have made lots of proposals that have gone nowhere.
(05-23-2017, 06:56 PM)ac3r Wrote: There is a proposal for a 13 floor residential building along with a parking garage for 105 University Ave East by PGDS...whom have made lots of proposals that have gone nowhere.

they built lots of stuff http://pgdstudio.com/waterloo-architect-projects/
Building at 185 King St n (corner of King & bricker) has signed up applying for a zoning change from residential to multi-use for a first floor commercial establishment.

I've always thought it was an absolute travesty that that building and the one across the street had no first floor retail....with any luck the other MR-25 properties along that stretch of King will also apply and bring continuous retail from uptown to WLU
(05-23-2017, 08:09 PM)kevinchoi519 Wrote:
(05-23-2017, 06:56 PM)ac3r Wrote: There is a proposal for a 13 floor residential building along with a parking garage for 105 University Ave East by PGDS...whom have made lots of proposals that have gone nowhere.

they built lots of stuff http://pgdstudio.com/waterloo-architect-projects/

Wow. They are pretty much responsible for all the building going on in Northdale. 

Not quite sure that is a good thing. And in time, we will see how mich they invest back into the properties as age creeps up on them.
(06-13-2017, 09:48 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(05-23-2017, 08:09 PM)kevinchoi519 Wrote: they built lots of stuff http://pgdstudio.com/waterloo-architect-projects/

Wow. They are pretty much responsible for all the building going on in Northdale. 

Not quite sure that is a good thing. And in time, we will see how mich they invest back into the properties as age creeps up on them.

Re "they", are these buildings freehold or rental apartments, or some of each?  In either case, to the extent they house students, I suspect the answer will be "not enough".  Time will tell.

Why would they invest back into the properties, are they not the architect, not the developer?
I think we can assume that he meant to refer to the owner(s).
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »